Back to English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics by University of Pennsylvania

Welcome to English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics, a course created by the University of Pennsylvania, and funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of English Language Programs. To enroll in this course for free, click on “Enroll now” and then select "Full Course. No certificate." If you want to get a Coursera Verified Certificate for free, please fill out the Financial Aid form. This course is designed for non-native English speakers who are interested in improving their English skills in the sciences. In this course, you will explore some of the most innovative areas of scientific study, while expanding your vocabulary and the language skills needed to share scientific information within your community. In unit 1, you will learn how to preview texts and practice some of the language used to make comparisons when talking about global warming and climate change. In unit 2, you will examine the chemistry of climate change and the language of cause and effect. In Unit 3, you will learn about some of the impacts of Climate Change and the language used to describe these effects. In Unit 4, you will learn reading strategies that can help you explore the science behind some new energy systems. In the final unit, you will investigate practical advances in Nanotechnology that help slow down climate change, while developing your own research skills in English. Unless otherwise noted, all course materials are available for re-use, repurposing and free distribution under a Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution license. Supplemental reading materials were provided by Newsela, which publishes daily news articles at a level that's just right for each English language learner....

EC
Sep 25, 2020

I would like to take this opportunity to express my appreciation to our instructors, Mr Jack and Ms Alyssa for an enjoyable course on STEM!\n\nIt was a very good learning experience!\n\nThank you!

DR
Jul 5, 2017

Great course! You can learn about modal verbs, intensifiers, present progressive and much more very easily. And is important too to know the methods and techniques for write a scientific article.

76 - 100 of 585 Reviews for English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics

By Bianca B

May 13, 2020

Great course for beginner students of English. Also it s a oportunity to study two topics and the same time: English and Science. The topic about Climate Change is actual and demand discussions and understood about consequence for our world

By Purevjargal D

Dec 2, 2020

This is my first online course and it was amazing. I am a non-native speaker so firstly it was hard then slightly adjusting it. Now I can know about the greenhouse effect and global warming besides my English have improved a lot. Thank you

By Sergio M

May 9, 2018

This course has helped me very much to improve my English communication skills, because an English learner I need interesting themes like this to continue practice. I will definitely take some other courses of University of Pennsylvania.

By Maria E

Dec 7, 2019

This course has favored me a lot to learn in the English language, and what better, taking it with the subject of my interest, renewable energies and the damages that we cause in the environment!

Thanks for everything, very good course!

By DULCEMARIA G S

The course is intense compared to others on this platform (double or triple content, homework and tests) for the same reason you learn a lot. It is very pedagogical, scientific, interesting and strategic. I love it! 100% recommended!

By S Y

Jan 1, 2018

It's very helpful course to understand some scientific terms, both the instructors are very good. It helped to increase my knowledge about current major issues and how to use English to explain scientific terms more effectively.

By Lourdes I S B

Aug 27, 2020

It's a great opportunity to improve your reading comprehension and listening skills. This course is easy to follow and it will help you to understand some of the most current environmental problems. I really enjoy all the topics.

By KARTHIK K

Aug 15, 2019

Really A Fantastic Course. Before I enroll I thought it is only an English course, but the contents used made the course very informative. I sincerely thank the Professors for their commitment in this course. Thank You one again.

By OCTAVIO A F N

Jan 15, 2020

It´s a really good course where you can find a lot of techniques and vocabulary to learn English and improve your English if you have already a level of this language. I´m from Mexico and this course for me was soo useful

By Betty T

Aug 20, 2019

The tips are very helpful. The pronunciation in the video is easy to listen. I think the video illustrations are nicely made. This course is amazing, everything is systematically arranged and well prepared. Thank you

By Новаковский Р

Dec 13, 2020

Thank you so much! It was my first Coursera course that I had finished) I hope you will create more courses because it was absolutely interesting and informative! Don't wanna say u "Goodbye", just say u "See you:)"

By Метелица Ю

Dec 4, 2017

Хороший курс. Из лекций и текстов почерпнула для себя много новых слов, идиом и устойчивых выражений. Задания по грамматике рассчитаны на не очень высокий уровень, но повторить пройденное никогда не будет лишним.

By Ladislav Č

Apr 24, 2020

This course is really well designed. It gave me useful information on how to work with a scientific text and vocabulary/grammar which should be used in the STEM field. Authors of the course did a brilliant job!

By Ghani J

Mar 30, 2018

It is a very informative course and has developed my knowledge about global warning and its consequences along with English Language structures. I would definitely recommend you to join this informative course.

By Әсел Б

Apr 20, 2020

Thank you so much. Course helped me to improve my thinking and writing also speaking skills how to make right senescent and I have improved my vocabulary in addition I got a lot of knowledge about our climate

By Gabriela S R

This course gave me a lot of valuable information about the global warm, why is happening and what scientific community in doing to fight against this problem and what we can do to help our world. Thank you!

By Shih T H

Oct 13, 2019

Really thankful for the professors, I get lots of information about global warming. I will definitely join for the next course tough by the professors from Pennsylvania University. Thank you for all of this.

By Estefania Q A

Jun 27, 2020

Excelent course. I liked the topics seen because there are relevant to the present time and also, the way that the teachers taught it was so good, because they gave the tools for improve the english skills.

By Zhanat Y

Interesting and useful course for STEM teachers with a broad range vocabulary, quizzes, interesting articles, helpful grammar tips, and more. Thank you very much lecturers, and Penn for their contribution!

By Cybelle F F M

Jul 11, 2017

Very good way to teach both, STEM language skills and the Greenhouse Effect problem.

The teachers speaks slowly and clearly and the subject is presented in a very simple and efficient way to us, students.

By Hoa D

Aug 19, 2017

I have learned a lot from this course, not only English but also the content in this course. Now, I know more about climate change, its impacts and the need of doing something before too late. Thank you!

By Sujan S

May 1, 2020

This Course was so exciting and enjoy full too. As there was a Speaking Assignment too . I have one Suggestion that If that Speaking Assignment was Live than It would be too interesting to the Learners.

By Paulo A

Jun 26, 2017

Muito bom o curso, além de ser uma ferramenta para auxiliar no estudo da língua inglesa, também você consegue aprimorar o conhecimento de outras áreas, neste caso da ciência. Ótimo curso, recomendo!

By Donato R

Jul 6, 2017

By Eliana B

Jun 19, 2020

Me resultó muy interesante. Aprendí mucho lenguaje relacionado con el medio ambiente. Me parece muy bueno que vayan alternando el conocimiento científico con el correcto empleo de la gramática.