Back to English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics by University of Pennsylvania

Welcome to English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics, a course created by the University of Pennsylvania, and funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of English Language Programs. To enroll in this course for free, click on “Enroll now” and then select "Full Course. No certificate." If you want to get a Coursera Verified Certificate for free, please fill out the Financial Aid form. This course is designed for non-native English speakers who are interested in improving their English skills in the sciences. In this course, you will explore some of the most innovative areas of scientific study, while expanding your vocabulary and the language skills needed to share scientific information within your community. In unit 1, you will learn how to preview texts and practice some of the language used to make comparisons when talking about global warming and climate change. In unit 2, you will examine the chemistry of climate change and the language of cause and effect. In Unit 3, you will learn about some of the impacts of Climate Change and the language used to describe these effects. In Unit 4, you will learn reading strategies that can help you explore the science behind some new energy systems. In the final unit, you will investigate practical advances in Nanotechnology that help slow down climate change, while developing your own research skills in English. Unless otherwise noted, all course materials are available for re-use, repurposing and free distribution under a Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution license. Supplemental reading materials were provided by Newsela, which publishes daily news articles at a level that's just right for each English language learner....

EC

Sep 26, 2020

I would like to take this opportunity to express my appreciation to our instructors, Mr Jack and Ms Alyssa for an enjoyable course on STEM!\n\nIt was a very good learning experience!\n\nThank you!

DR

Jul 06, 2017

Great course! You can learn about modal verbs, intensifiers, present progressive and much more very easily. And is important too to know the methods and techniques for write a scientific article.

126 - 150 of 535 Reviews for English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics

By Adriano H F

Dec 01, 2019

O curso é muito bom!!! Os instrutores são extraordinários. Os conceitos científicos foram apresentados com clareza bem como a língua inglesa.

By SANTHA A

Jan 17, 2018

A very interesting, useful, wonderful course, through which I learnt a lot about global warming and saving Planet Earth. Thank you very much.

By Gabriel R R

Sep 28, 2019

I'm very grateful because I really learned a lot with this course. It was great and I enjoyed it so much that I want to continue learning.

By Jonatan V d M F

Very good course for those interested in improving their english and learn about the environment at the same time. I really recommend it.

By Israel R G

Apr 28, 2020

its a great course to know about enviromental vocabulary and lear grammatical rules, with the videos we can practice the listening. Tanks

By Vielka D F M

Aug 18, 2017

Thanks, to all the instructors for their lessons, was of great use for me in my knowledge and application learned, thanks again everyone

By Margarita R

May 05, 2020

Thank you! It was truely an enjoyable and helpful course! I am sure the knowledge I recieved in this course will help me in my career.

By Cai Y

Sep 10, 2019

I think the content is really interesting and not hard. For non-native speaker, it's a good way to imporve listening and oral English.

By Bahareh G

Sep 09, 2020

This course gives information about climate change and the actions that are taken to offset it .that was informative and interesting.

By Gyaneshor k

Mar 05, 2020

i am very happy because I have completed this course.I am thankful to related members of this university as well as this university

By Bhavana

Jan 15, 2018

This is awesome course thank you for such a easy way of learning. Instructors are so good at expressing and explaining the concepts.

By Ezequiel B J

Jun 03, 2019

Great course for english starters, hoped to have more advance english, but the articles and information they gave where interesant.

By Ррр

Oct 07, 2017

Thank you for the course. I highly appreciate your effort as now I use all the information provided when talking about this topic.

By Luis B

Jun 15, 2017

Excellent course, for learning new terms on Science, Math and Technology, at the same time learning and practice English Language.

By Vicky D

May 20, 2017

Its a great way of reviewing and learning once again English with the mixture of science, technology, engineering and mathematics

By T I

Sep 11, 2020

In this cource, I could learn not only the basic skill of English but also the basic knowledge about global warming. Intersting.

By Paula N

Jul 16, 2017

Excelente curso!!!! O curso apresenta uma metodologia e uma dinâmica muito boa de aprendizagem da língua inglesa. Thank you!!!

By Jose M A

Jul 14, 2019

The course uses an exciting way to introduce scientific language. And the study case, Climate Change, is an excellent matter.

By Jaime Á

Jun 12, 2017

Pretty accessible and quite informative, completely recomendable for everybody at all levels of english or science knowledge.

By NOMAN U H

Jul 01, 2020

This course was designed with special care. It was a perfect blend of videos, reading articles, quiz and assignments. Thanks

By Luis E S F

Jun 12, 2018

It has been an amazing journey, I really learnt a lot of things, and this is gonna be very helpful for my professional life.

By Abigail F P

Nov 30, 2017

I have learned so much that I'm very excited to share them with my students. Thank you for coming up with this great course.

By Ingrid N O S

Jul 15, 2019

It was an amazing experience to learn more about engineering and technology, hope to use this knowledge in my diary life !

Jan 26, 2019

this is not only useful for non English-speaking country, but this also provide a supportive English-learning environment.

By Tiago P G N

Sep 20, 2017

Ótimo para praticar e aprender. Além de ser um assunto que interessa a todos nós, o que torna o curso mais atraente ainda.