Back to English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics by University of Pennsylvania

Welcome to English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics, a course created by the University of Pennsylvania, and funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of English Language Programs. To enroll in this course for free, click on “Enroll now” and then select "Full Course. No certificate." If you want to get a Coursera Verified Certificate for free, please fill out the Financial Aid form. This course is designed for non-native English speakers who are interested in improving their English skills in the sciences. In this course, you will explore some of the most innovative areas of scientific study, while expanding your vocabulary and the language skills needed to share scientific information within your community. In unit 1, you will learn how to preview texts and practice some of the language used to make comparisons when talking about global warming and climate change. In unit 2, you will examine the chemistry of climate change and the language of cause and effect. In Unit 3, you will learn about some of the impacts of Climate Change and the language used to describe these effects. In Unit 4, you will learn reading strategies that can help you explore the science behind some new energy systems. In the final unit, you will investigate practical advances in Nanotechnology that help slow down climate change, while developing your own research skills in English. Unless otherwise noted, all course materials are available for re-use, repurposing and free distribution under a Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution license. Supplemental reading materials were provided by Newsela, which publishes daily news articles at a level that's just right for each English language learner....

EC
Sep 25, 2020

I would like to take this opportunity to express my appreciation to our instructors, Mr Jack and Ms Alyssa for an enjoyable course on STEM!\n\nIt was a very good learning experience!\n\nThank you!

DR
Jul 5, 2017

Great course! You can learn about modal verbs, intensifiers, present progressive and much more very easily. And is important too to know the methods and techniques for write a scientific article.

126 - 150 of 585 Reviews for English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics

By Piangtawan C

Apr 17, 2020

Very well-engineered course suitable for non-English speakers who are interested in science. No need for scientific background. Many engaging activities.

By Rick R C L

Dec 19, 2020

Overall, the course was able to help me improve my English skills and proficiency while providing me information on how to take care of the environment.

By Willie V

Nov 1, 2017

Great course to learn especially for those who have inclination to Science, where all the science concepts are applied in English sentence construction!

By Sophía G

Jul 10, 2017

The topics covered in the STEM course are of transcendence for all of us, how it is alternative sources of renewable energy and reduce global warming

By Mohammad M A

May 29, 2017

A very very big thanks for providing such an amazing course, after taking this course I really become more comfortable with my career in Engineering.

By Karen M S

Dec 5, 2019

Me gustó mucho. Es un gran curso para dominar vocabulario en inglés y aprender más sobre diversos temas relacionados a la ciencia y las matemáticas.

By Richard E N O

Jul 14, 2019

Nice way to combine science and learning english with interesting topics such as climate change, new technologies, renewable energy sources, etc.

By Enderson N C

May 3, 2020

Excelent!! The course helped me to improve my language skills and my knowledge STEM subjects.

Materials are very intresting and useful.

Thank you.

By Akrm s a

Jul 9, 2017

It's great opportunity to improve my English skills, while I'm gaining new scientific information.Thank you very much to all coursera community.

By Pauline M A

Jul 7, 2017

I would love to experience this again. I learned a lot from this course and I will really recommend this to my friends or classmates. Thank you!

By Marcus L

May 22, 2020

Great course with appropriate language and vocabulary. There are valuable discussions about very important subjects, especially climate change.

By José F P B

Oct 14, 2019

This course has everything necessary to learn English , makes me more confident in this language , I feel very happy to have this opportunity.

By Adriano H F

Dec 1, 2019

O curso é muito bom!!! Os instrutores são extraordinários. Os conceitos científicos foram apresentados com clareza bem como a língua inglesa.

By SANTHA A

Jan 17, 2018

A very interesting, useful, wonderful course, through which I learnt a lot about global warming and saving Planet Earth. Thank you very much.

By Gabriel R R

Sep 27, 2019

I'm very grateful because I really learned a lot with this course. It was great and I enjoyed it so much that I want to continue learning.

By Jonatan V d M F

Very good course for those interested in improving their english and learn about the environment at the same time. I really recommend it.

By Israel R G

Apr 28, 2020

its a great course to know about enviromental vocabulary and lear grammatical rules, with the videos we can practice the listening. Tanks

By Vielka D F M

Aug 18, 2017

Thanks, to all the instructors for their lessons, was of great use for me in my knowledge and application learned, thanks again everyone

By Radia s

Dec 30, 2020

it was good experience for me I'lm so happy to be a memeber in coursera and want to repeat it again with another course in other dpmaine

By Margarita R

May 5, 2020

Thank you! It was truely an enjoyable and helpful course! I am sure the knowledge I recieved in this course will help me in my career.

By Cai Y

Sep 10, 2019

I think the content is really interesting and not hard. For non-native speaker, it's a good way to imporve listening and oral English.

By Bahareh G

Sep 9, 2020

This course gives information about climate change and the actions that are taken to offset it .that was informative and interesting.

By Gyaneshor k

Mar 5, 2020

i am very happy because I have completed this course.I am thankful to related members of this university as well as this university

By Bhavana

Jan 14, 2018

This is awesome course thank you for such a easy way of learning. Instructors are so good at expressing and explaining the concepts.

By Ezequiel B J

Jun 2, 2019

Great course for english starters, hoped to have more advance english, but the articles and information they gave where interesant.