Back to Introduction to Sustainability

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Sustainability by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

This course introduces the academic approach of Sustainability and explores how today’s human societies can endure in the face of global change, ecosystem degradation and resource limitations. The course focuses on key knowledge areas of sustainability theory and practice, including population, ecosystems, global change, energy, agriculture, water, environmental economics and policy, ethics, and cultural history. This subject is of vital importance, seeking as it does to uncover the principles of the long-term welfare of all the peoples of the planet. As sustainability is a cross-disciplinary field of study, this foundation requires intellectual breadth: as I describe it in the class text, understanding our motivations requires the humanities, measuring the challenges of sustainability requires knowledge of the sciences (both natural and social), and building solutions requires technical insight into systems (such as provided by engineering, planning, and management)....

KF

Dec 19, 2016

It is a well prepared course. Contents are carefully organized and plenty of concepts and examples are included and analyzed. Overall, it is a excellent course to get an overview of sustainability.

JW

Nov 29, 2015

This was my first Coursera course, and I wasn't sure what to expect; but was very pleased with the organization, timescale things were run on, and overall neutrality of the course. Very well done!

26 - 50 of 487 Reviews for Introduction to Sustainability

By Talles G G

Jan 15, 2019

Excelente curso!

By Avril P

Jun 01, 2020

Pretty interesting and loved how holistic the course is. The professor weaves together demographics, water use, climate change, energy, policy, and ethics. But I should say that the video lectures and all the materials are from 2010-2012 so if you're hoping for a crash course on some of the more recent developments and figures, you'll need to go elsewhere.

By Sithee S

I didn't finish it. The data is outdated but still enjoyable to learn. However, I do not have time to study this one anymore and now looking for new course that have more updated data and materials.

By Omid Z

Jul 22, 2018

It was a good introductory course, but needs more detailed information and mathematical formulas.

By Ellie H

Sep 11, 2017

decent

By Jonathan G

Jan 31, 2018

I found this course boring and redundant. It was covering stuff that could easily be learned enough high school level course. It bored me to tears! They were stretching out something that can easily be learned in one shot.

By Mohammad I

Apr 26, 2020

Content is quite good but the assessment style is quite difficult as in very hard to complete. I think there is need to rethink about the assessment strategy where passing with 90% isn't made mandatory. Got stuck in the midst of the course, still intersted to complete but unable to move on due to hard style quiz. The quiz has further links which is unaccessible in poor networks. I hope the team will understand this issue from a view of providing knowledge with minimum harrassment.

By Gabriel M

Nov 19, 2015

I am sorry but the Prof. doesn't know how to attract students to be more curious.

By Abhinav S

Jun 13, 2020

Worst Course!

By Mridul M

Jun 09, 2020

What an eye opener it’s been!

I thoroughly enjoyed this course – an informative and well-planned introduction into the wonderful and essential subject of sustainability. Dr. Tomkin’s succinct videos followed by the recommended readings were an ideal blend of lecture and theory, and made the subject matter easy to break down and understand. The takeaways from the course are definitely going to shape my future work.

Thank you, Dr. Tomkin for the great course!

I do suggest that that the pdf be reworked in terms of layout, typeface and leading and contrast as this version can be difficult to read off a screen.

By Aravind S

Apr 17, 2017

This is my first time doing an online certificate course from Coursera and I have to say it had been a wonderful and informative experience for me. The lectures were easy to understand and really helped me to change so many of my misconceptions on sustainability and energy. I would like to thank Prof. Jonathan for give such brilliant lectures and sharing his views. I would also like to thank my classmates for their support and also would like to congratulate them on their achievement as well along with best wishes for their future.

Thank You Coursera for such an initiative to spread knowledge

By Pauline G

Jun 02, 2020

I found this training very enriching for those new to sustainable development. I took this course in order to have a global idea of the subject. I found what I was looking for. The course is quite complete, it gives a global vision of sustainability and deals with many aspects related to the subject. Both the basic concepts and concrete examples are explained. Moreover, I appreciated the moderate vision of our Professor on the subject, which is neither in denial nor in catastrophism. Finally, the tests are not stupidly a reproduction of the course and questions of reflection are asked.

By Sankar V

Jun 07, 2020

For a beginner there are chances of an Information overload. But considering the times which we live in the anthropocene , these information overload is a necessity. We all are individuals who have cause some harm to the environment through some or the other way and nobody can deny that. It is in this point of a realization that I urge my fellow comrades to do this course and be aware of where we all are headed. Cheers and thanks to Jonathan Tomkin and other supporters.

By Laird B

Nov 20, 2015

A concise and engaging course which really makes you think! Many people are interested in sustainability and concerned about the issues which affect it, but taking this course has definitely helped me better understand these issues and put many things in perspective. Having a greater understanding of these topics makes me less pessimistic about the future as Inow understand how we can best focus our efforts for the greatest return. Everyone should take this course!

By Manuel E P L

Oct 18, 2015

My congratulations for this course. Was a great experience to learn about this topic and the important for our future.

Additionally, i would like to make some suggestions especially related with approach on developed countries, developing countries and the data stat.

Inside these aspects should be included examples related with Latin America, Asia and another regions that not been included between the classics examples of developed countries.

Thanks for this course.

By Karen M

Sep 10, 2017

This was an amazing course. I learned so much about sustainability and feel that I now have the tools to be critical about media news pieces about the environment. Prof. Tomkin explains his topics clearly and concisely. I found his lectures easy to follow without being "dumbed down". I highly recommend taking this course if you want to learn more about the issues affecting the environment and sustainable development.

By Fatimaalowais

May 24, 2018

Great course. I learned so much and the course was the right place to start to learn about environmental policy and sustainability. It explains population, consumption, energy, water, touching on many inaccurate assumptions about the environment and sustainability. most of all, I enjoyed the sections that focused on policy options, which is the main reason I have been looking for that kind of courses.

By Monica

Oct 26, 2015

I've been a supporter of environmental sustainability efforts for a long time, however, I lacked training/knowledge (as my undergraduate studies are in Business). Passion is great, but in the real world, you need skills to back up that passion. I am proud to say that can now engage in active conversations with people who are working in sustainability related fields! This is a very empowering course!

By Muhammad H

May 06, 2020

This course is a very beginning of an important concept of sustainability. The videos are just more than excellent at communicating useful knowledge to the seeker. The quizzes are designed to take full advantage of one's abilities. The most interesting work in this course is Peer graded assignments. I have learned and enjoyed this course. Hope everyone else who opt it will likewise too. Thumbs up!

By Deborah L

I really enjoyed the instructor and the class. I am taking Intro to Sustainability at another university and it is completely different than what we learned here. I am not saying it is better or worse but it is interesting the amount of diversity that an intro class can have. I would be very interested to see/hear what Professor Tomkins would have to say about the current pandemic crisis.

By Paul A

Bast online course I have ever taken. Professor Tomkins did a fantastic job giving a broad and comprehensive overview on sustainability. The reading were excellent, the supplementary videos and case studies were enlightening, and he pushed a little bit with the quizzes, enough to make you feel like your earned the certificate. A great entry point to the entire field of sustainability.

By Ramanan S

Feb 07, 2016

Really awesome course! Especially the peer review assignments. They give an overall view of what are the problems being faced by everyone around the world! The course structure is really good and is optimal for learning. After the course, one really has a changed perspective towards the earth and you would be inspired with purpose! A purpose to work for the betterment of humankind!

By David M

I have both my B.S and J.D. , but it has been years since I have taken a college level course. This was one of the most interesting and engaging I have ever taken. Dr. Tomkins presents the content in a relatable manner that is easy to understand. The information provided has ignited my interest to learn more and continue my education on Sustainability. Highly reccomend!

By Camelia K

Jul 02, 2020

A great introductory course about sustainability that is informative and not too basic that is worthwhile your time if you are interested to more about the statistics, proper concepts and terminology in this field. The information is well-packed and not to difficult to understand but still requires some effort to properly digest the knowledge. Thanks Dr. Jonathan Tomkins!

By Εleftherios K

An exceptional course that introduces an abundance of new concepts and points of view. It's engaging and thought-provoking, with very interesting assignments. The workload is considerable but at the end it's worthwhile. I totally feel that I've gained a sense of the current global situation on sustainability for the 21st century! Thank you very much!