Back to Introduction to Sustainability

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Sustainability by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

This course introduces the academic approach of Sustainability and explores how today’s human societies can endure in the face of global change, ecosystem degradation and resource limitations. The course focuses on key knowledge areas of sustainability theory and practice, including population, ecosystems, global change, energy, agriculture, water, environmental economics and policy, ethics, and cultural history. This subject is of vital importance, seeking as it does to uncover the principles of the long-term welfare of all the peoples of the planet. As sustainability is a cross-disciplinary field of study, this foundation requires intellectual breadth: as I describe it in the class text, understanding our motivations requires the humanities, measuring the challenges of sustainability requires knowledge of the sciences (both natural and social), and building solutions requires technical insight into systems (such as provided by engineering, planning, and management)....

KF
Dec 18, 2016

It is a well prepared course. Contents are carefully organized and plenty of concepts and examples are included and analyzed. Overall, it is a excellent course to get an overview of sustainability.

MT
Sep 23, 2020

This course helps me to learn many things about sustainability. By this course, I am more interested in sustainable developments. I expect to learn more about this provided by Dr Johnathan Tomkin.

51 - 75 of 612 Reviews for Introduction to Sustainability

By Deborah L

I really enjoyed the instructor and the class. I am taking Intro to Sustainability at another university and it is completely different than what we learned here. I am not saying it is better or worse but it is interesting the amount of diversity that an intro class can have. I would be very interested to see/hear what Professor Tomkins would have to say about the current pandemic crisis.

By Paul A

Bast online course I have ever taken. Professor Tomkins did a fantastic job giving a broad and comprehensive overview on sustainability. The reading were excellent, the supplementary videos and case studies were enlightening, and he pushed a little bit with the quizzes, enough to make you feel like your earned the certificate. A great entry point to the entire field of sustainability.

By Ramanan S

Feb 7, 2016

Really awesome course! Especially the peer review assignments. They give an overall view of what are the problems being faced by everyone around the world! The course structure is really good and is optimal for learning. After the course, one really has a changed perspective towards the earth and you would be inspired with purpose! A purpose to work for the betterment of humankind!

By EVA C A

Sep 28, 2020

This is a very serious course of high academic quality. It takes time to follow the lectures, read additional material, make homework and tests, but it is worth it.

The instructor makes the lessons easy to understand, although it sometimes deals with quite complicated topics.

It would be great to hear about an updated course (this is a few years old) or a continuation of this one.

By David M

I have both my B.S and J.D. , but it has been years since I have taken a college level course. This was one of the most interesting and engaging I have ever taken. Dr. Tomkins presents the content in a relatable manner that is easy to understand. The information provided has ignited my interest to learn more and continue my education on Sustainability. Highly reccomend!

By Camelia K

Jul 2, 2020

A great introductory course about sustainability that is informative and not too basic that is worthwhile your time if you are interested to more about the statistics, proper concepts and terminology in this field. The information is well-packed and not to difficult to understand but still requires some effort to properly digest the knowledge. Thanks Dr. Jonathan Tomkins!

By Εleftherios K

An exceptional course that introduces an abundance of new concepts and points of view. It's engaging and thought-provoking, with very interesting assignments. The workload is considerable but at the end it's worthwhile. I totally feel that I've gained a sense of the current global situation on sustainability for the 21st century! Thank you very much!

By Arav D

Aug 14, 2020

I really liked learning the course material. As an aspiring environmental engineer, I wanted to explore more environmental concepts before applying to colleges, and this course allowed me to decide that I enjoyed learning about environmental concepts, especially sustainability, and made me excited to take more sustainability classes in the future.

By Thuan n

Jun 8, 2020

This course provides very comprehensive set of information about sustainability from beginning to the end. Its content is really broad. To learn well, it requires learners to think and to read a lot. I like the fact that it provides many interesting talks from Ted and other sources. I would really like to see more recent statistics to be included.

By Franklin B

Aug 31, 2020

Sustainability is one of the most important topics for the future of our own species and for the world in general. This course gives you a point of view strongly supported by science, data and teaches the importance of recognition and exploring the different methods to get involved and visualize the consequences of climate change.

By Dipesh T

Nov 5, 2020

Teaching of professor Tomkin was very much interesting that i have got so interest in this course and enjoyed a lot learning this course which makes us familiar with the things and facts that are happening in our environment and how they are going to affect our real world in the current and upcoming future situation of our world.

By Christian P H

Mar 22, 2020

I took this course to learn. Now, I did not just learned, I understood things deeper about the environment. Now I'm conscious about embedded water, embodied energy, food miles and many more. These are important things that we often take for granted. Thanks to Coursera, Dr. Tomkin and the University of Illinois Urbana Champaign!

By Raquel O G

Jul 31, 2020

Very interesting and useful. The videos, reading, and homework were very easy but I learned a lot. I recommend this course. You won't regret it. Investing time in knowing more about our planet situation and the sustainability path that we are following, is very important. Pd. The English used in this course is very easy.

By Lorenzo C

Oct 12, 2020

It's a very nice and broad introduction to sustainability (as the name says!), covers a lot of different and interconnected topics without assuming much prior knowledge, and provides links to many resources to go deeper in the topics. Good starting point for anyone who wants to deepen their sustainability knowledge.

By Chaitra S J

Jul 28, 2020

Extremely satisified with the course! This is my first course on Coursera and totally enjoyed learning about Sustainability from Prof. Tomkin. It would be better if you add some recent graphs and content including data from 2015 and beyond. Overall, I loved the course and would want to enroll in other courses too :)

By Sehresh M

Apr 23, 2020

I really liked this course because it analyzes with balance the data, concepts and instruments of the great problems and challenges of global sustainability. Overall, it is an excellent course to get an overview of sustainability. if anyone want to know about sustainability I will recommend to join this course.

By Carol R

Jan 5, 2020

Interesting course which challenged some of my personal views and made me reconsider many opinions I held prior to completing this course. Highly recommended for anyone with an interest in sustainability, or even just to debate issues like climate change and the impact of world population with buddies in a bar.

By Uduigwomen D

Mar 28, 2017

Introduction to Sustainability has given me greater insight on the world on a sustainable path. Whether we are approaching a J curve or S curve. This course broadens your knowledge and sharpens your mind to be a great thinker when it comes to sustainability. And i'm glad to partake and complete this course.

By Aranza D V G

May 1, 2017

Este curso me hizo entender nuestra problemática ambiental de una manera más profunda, me gusto mucho el curso porque al principio tienes una idea de lo que está pasando con nuestra mundo, la manera en que lo estamos contaminando y al terminar el curso las ideas que previamente tenías se profundizan.

By Rajkumar V

Jul 20, 2020

Introduction to sustainability is a perfect blend. Sustainability is in everything, to the less I know this course has broadened my view. It covers all the topics in detail and I am glad to choose this course to begin my sustainable journey. Thankful to University of Illinois & Jonathan Tomkin.

By Kriztna K F V

Sep 7, 2020

Great course! It was a wonderful and fullfilling experience, I completly recommned taking this course, it helped me understand a lot about the threats that the world is currently facing, from the origins and long term consequences, to even the possible solutions and environmental policies.

By Kathy H

Dec 7, 2015

Dr. Tompkin is one of the best professors I have had the pleasure to encounter. That is going some because I have two PhDs. He clearly and concisely explains important concepts, putting the subject matter within reach of anyone who is interested. I hope that he will offer more courses.

By Russell J

Feb 7, 2016

Very well designed and implemented course. Practical and pragmatic. Videos interesting and easy to watch. Smart questions and quizzes that promote learning. The work load is not too demanding, but leaves you feeling like you earned the passing scores. Just right. Highly recommended.

By Shahar g

Apr 28, 2020

opened my eyes to many of the issues effecting our environment, and also educated me on the correct terms, studies and methods in addressing the crisis we are in. this is a great first step on the path to fully grasping the state we are in, and hopefully contributing to a solution

By Sabrina N B

Sep 2, 2020

Excellent introductory course integrating various disciplines and approaches in discussing sustainability. The lectures are informational and organized, and the assessments are the right amount of challenging and adequately test what one has learned from the course. Very worth it!