Back to Introduction to Sustainability

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Sustainability by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

This course introduces the academic approach of Sustainability and explores how today’s human societies can endure in the face of global change, ecosystem degradation and resource limitations. The course focuses on key knowledge areas of sustainability theory and practice, including population, ecosystems, global change, energy, agriculture, water, environmental economics and policy, ethics, and cultural history. This subject is of vital importance, seeking as it does to uncover the principles of the long-term welfare of all the peoples of the planet. As sustainability is a cross-disciplinary field of study, this foundation requires intellectual breadth: as I describe it in the class text, understanding our motivations requires the humanities, measuring the challenges of sustainability requires knowledge of the sciences (both natural and social), and building solutions requires technical insight into systems (such as provided by engineering, planning, and management)....

KF
Dec 18, 2016

It is a well prepared course. Contents are carefully organized and plenty of concepts and examples are included and analyzed. Overall, it is a excellent course to get an overview of sustainability.

MT
Sep 23, 2020

This course helps me to learn many things about sustainability. By this course, I am more interested in sustainable developments. I expect to learn more about this provided by Dr Johnathan Tomkin.

76 - 100 of 701 Reviews for Introduction to Sustainability

By Lorenzo C

Oct 12, 2020

It's a very nice and broad introduction to sustainability (as the name says!), covers a lot of different and interconnected topics without assuming much prior knowledge, and provides links to many resources to go deeper in the topics. Good starting point for anyone who wants to deepen their sustainability knowledge.

By Chaitra S J

Jul 28, 2020

Extremely satisified with the course! This is my first course on Coursera and totally enjoyed learning about Sustainability from Prof. Tomkin. It would be better if you add some recent graphs and content including data from 2015 and beyond. Overall, I loved the course and would want to enroll in other courses too :)

By Sehresh M

Apr 23, 2020

I really liked this course because it analyzes with balance the data, concepts and instruments of the great problems and challenges of global sustainability. Overall, it is an excellent course to get an overview of sustainability. if anyone want to know about sustainability I will recommend to join this course.

By Carol R

Jan 5, 2020

Interesting course which challenged some of my personal views and made me reconsider many opinions I held prior to completing this course. Highly recommended for anyone with an interest in sustainability, or even just to debate issues like climate change and the impact of world population with buddies in a bar.

By David U

Mar 28, 2017

Introduction to Sustainability has given me greater insight on the world on a sustainable path. Whether we are approaching a J curve or S curve. This course broadens your knowledge and sharpens your mind to be a great thinker when it comes to sustainability. And i'm glad to partake and complete this course.

By Aranza V

May 1, 2017

Este curso me hizo entender nuestra problemática ambiental de una manera más profunda, me gusto mucho el curso porque al principio tienes una idea de lo que está pasando con nuestra mundo, la manera en que lo estamos contaminando y al terminar el curso las ideas que previamente tenías se profundizan.

By Rajkumar V

Jul 20, 2020

Introduction to sustainability is a perfect blend. Sustainability is in everything, to the less I know this course has broadened my view. It covers all the topics in detail and I am glad to choose this course to begin my sustainable journey. Thankful to University of Illinois & Jonathan Tomkin.

By Kriztna K F V

Sep 8, 2020

Great course! It was a wonderful and fullfilling experience, I completly recommned taking this course, it helped me understand a lot about the threats that the world is currently facing, from the origins and long term consequences, to even the possible solutions and environmental policies.

By Kathy H

Dec 7, 2015

Dr. Tompkin is one of the best professors I have had the pleasure to encounter. That is going some because I have two PhDs. He clearly and concisely explains important concepts, putting the subject matter within reach of anyone who is interested. I hope that he will offer more courses.

By Russell J

Feb 7, 2016

Very well designed and implemented course. Practical and pragmatic. Videos interesting and easy to watch. Smart questions and quizzes that promote learning. The work load is not too demanding, but leaves you feeling like you earned the passing scores. Just right. Highly recommended.

By Shahar g

Apr 28, 2020

opened my eyes to many of the issues effecting our environment, and also educated me on the correct terms, studies and methods in addressing the crisis we are in. this is a great first step on the path to fully grasping the state we are in, and hopefully contributing to a solution

By Sabrina N B

Sep 2, 2020

Excellent introductory course integrating various disciplines and approaches in discussing sustainability. The lectures are informational and organized, and the assessments are the right amount of challenging and adequately test what one has learned from the course. Very worth it!

By Albert K

Jun 29, 2018

Introduction to Sustainability was enjoyably challenging and enlightening, many thanks to Professor Jonathan Thomkins and the production values of his teaching materiials. I thought however, he could have presented a fuller description of possible disaster scenarios.

By Raghava A B

Nov 17, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed taking this course. I really learnt a lot about growth trends, food production, energy and environmental policy. Thanks a lot to Dr. Jonathan Tomkin for this wonderful course. I would recommend this course to my friends and colleagues as well .

By Rayhana A

Apr 29, 2020

It was really an excellent course. Learned new perspectives to know about sustainability. Relevant examples regarding the topics made the course more enjoyable and easy to understand. I could easily relate the terms in my real life through writing the assignments.

By Margot L

Jun 18, 2020

I really enjoyed this course ! I loved to know more about the "technical aspect" of sustainability. However, the pieces of information remain accessible. There is a lot of reading though, but they might not be mandatory.

Thank you Jonathan for all that knowledge :)

By Vinícius A

Oct 3, 2020

Very helpful course. Great teacher and videos. Addresses points that every person should know because it's very comprehensive and makes you think holistic about the world. I am not going to see things as I did before, never. Thank you for creating this material.

By Jessy F

Jun 24, 2017

This is a very good indepth program with rich material and rigorous quizzes. Thankful to Dr.Jonathan Tomkins for the time and effort taken to put this together. It also got me interested overall in the concept much more and gave a optimistic view to our future.

By SANDRA A Z G

Jan 31, 2021

This course is extremely good, full of real data, reports, statistics. Even the questionnaires have been so important, because at the same time, that they challenge knowledge, they help one to properly capture the contents of the lectures. Thank you very much!

By CH 2 S K G

Jun 24, 2020

This course is fantastic. I have learned and experience a lots of facts about environment, population , agriculture etc. For me the most intersting fact in the course is approach of sustainabilty which have been taught by Res. Prof. Jonathan Tomkin.

Thank You!

By Zia U R

Dec 3, 2020

It was really fascinating for me even hailing from an environmental background to look up things in a quite deeper & comprehensive way. While the course gives a tough time to also have the insight to memorize things to pass which is sort of bad to eliminate.

By harpreet k

May 5, 2020

I loved the course. This gave me a new perspective on life and energy. the knowledge I gained from the course will help me throughout my life plus I will try my best to further provide the same to most of the society to bring the earth to a sustainable path.

By Mohamed A

Sep 6, 2017

One of my favorite courses so for, It was presented with details and good quizzes, I can say that I finished this course with more valuable knowledge and the most important: more curiosity to learn more about every aspect and field related to sustainability

By Frederick-Simon O P

Jul 27, 2020

The best online course I have ever taken in my life!! The course was so interesting while everything was taught in a way that was relatable. The assignments and peer reviews exposed you to different school of thoughts. This is one course I highly recommend

By Fazla Z A

Jul 7, 2020

This has been the best, most educative and helpful course,Thanks to Dr Jonathan Tomkin, we've learned a very clear concept about the earth, its environment and its systems, and most importantly, sustainability and sustainable measures for a better future.