Back to Introduction to Sustainability

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Sustainability by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

This course introduces the academic approach of Sustainability and explores how today’s human societies can endure in the face of global change, ecosystem degradation and resource limitations. The course focuses on key knowledge areas of sustainability theory and practice, including population, ecosystems, global change, energy, agriculture, water, environmental economics and policy, ethics, and cultural history. This subject is of vital importance, seeking as it does to uncover the principles of the long-term welfare of all the peoples of the planet. As sustainability is a cross-disciplinary field of study, this foundation requires intellectual breadth: as I describe it in the class text, understanding our motivations requires the humanities, measuring the challenges of sustainability requires knowledge of the sciences (both natural and social), and building solutions requires technical insight into systems (such as provided by engineering, planning, and management)....

KF

Dec 19, 2016

It is a well prepared course. Contents are carefully organized and plenty of concepts and examples are included and analyzed. Overall, it is a excellent course to get an overview of sustainability.

JW

Nov 29, 2015

This was my first Coursera course, and I wasn't sure what to expect; but was very pleased with the organization, timescale things were run on, and overall neutrality of the course. Very well done!

76 - 100 of 555 Reviews for Introduction to Sustainability

By harpreet k

May 05, 2020

I loved the course. This gave me a new perspective on life and energy. the knowledge I gained from the course will help me throughout my life plus I will try my best to further provide the same to most of the society to bring the earth to a sustainable path.

By Mohamed A

Sep 06, 2017

One of my favorite courses so for, It was presented with details and good quizzes, I can say that I finished this course with more valuable knowledge and the most important: more curiosity to learn more about every aspect and field related to sustainability

By Frederick-Simon O P

Jul 27, 2020

The best online course I have ever taken in my life!! The course was so interesting while everything was taught in a way that was relatable. The assignments and peer reviews exposed you to different school of thoughts. This is one course I highly recommend

By Fazla Z A

Jul 07, 2020

This has been the best, most educative and helpful course,Thanks to Dr Jonathan Tomkin, we've learned a very clear concept about the earth, its environment and its systems, and most importantly, sustainability and sustainable measures for a better future.

By Sze K F

Nov 01, 2015

This is a good course and I can get a brief idea what the position is the earth is. Also, I can remember some key figures about the environment situation. The difficulties of the quizs are designed suitability for student memorizing key point and concepts

By Chiara D R

A good starting point for whoever is interested in the various facets of sustainability. It requires a certain flexibility, since it deals with many topics, but it's rewarding. The course is very well made and it feels like a real university course.

By Laura M N

May 17, 2016

Me gusta mucho el curso, tienen un gran concepto, enseñan el contexto y ofrecen muy buenas referencias bibliográficas, me gustan mucho los exámenes porque más allá de preguntar conceptos, se evalúan análisis con base en lo explicado en las lecturas.

By Rebecca W

Nov 13, 2015

I think it is a diverse course that looks at many different aspects of sustainability. Gives a rounded explanation on sustainability, goes through its problems in detail and possible solutions for the future. Really does make you think! Great work!

By Amjad H

May 09, 2020

This course has helped me know about what we, as individuals and as Human Civilization, have done to mother earth. At the same the ways and techniques we can adopt in our lives to make this planet a sustainable place for our future generations.

By Trista B

Sep 05, 2016

As someone who, upon starting, did not know anything about this topic, I thoroughly enjoyed this course. Although someone said he was not 'engaging' enough ... I found the instructor to be very engaging and he was easy to follow and understand.

By M M K

Such a excellent course, i have learned a lot about current trends and global issues especially. thanks for the opportunity to choose this course to ILLINOIS university and Coursera. It is really a great bath while walking along this curse.

By Elizaida M

Jun 17, 2020

The course provided me a insight sharper on the topic of sustainability, less romanticized and more balanced in data, research and tools. It is very dense in details and excellente material, it opens up a range of options for us to go deeper.

By Thibaut

Apr 24, 2020

It is called Introduction but actually is already quite an in-depth course. Thanks to the videos it is very entertaining and I never got bored. Only suggestion from me is to update some of the references to more recent ones if possible.

By Brinda K

Aug 09, 2016

A great course with a great instructor!

Perfect for beginners - the course is simple and is laden with many relevant examples, which help you understand concepts easily.

The interactive assignments and homeworks are very interesting too!

By Camilo A G M

Apr 13, 2016

It's an excellent course. It's very complete and it's a perfect introduction to this topic of sustainability. It would be great that this course would be a starting point for an entire academic program of sustainability. Thanks for all!

By MEHUL S

Jun 19, 2020

I'm very glad that I did this course. I'm an engineering undergrad and I'd say every engineering curriculum should have this course in the first semester itself, so that one can know in what direction work needs to be done. Thank you!!

By MARIA I C G

Apr 09, 2020

Excellent very complete course being considered as an introductory course, I learned a lot about sustainability, I generate myself, very good readings and videos, it made me do more research to delve into each topic. thanks!! Dr Tomkim

By Gleison M A

Aug 03, 2020

This course is an absolute must for those who ant to learn about sustainability, the impacts of human society on the planet, how countries and organizations are changing their views and regulations and how sustainability is measured.

By SATHISH C B

Mar 21, 2020

I really enjoyed this course. It gave me in depth knowledge about many concepts of Sustainability. I would like to thank Dr. Jonathan Thomkin from University of Illinois and whole Coursera team for designing such a wonderful course.

By Sian P

Aug 10, 2017

Excellent informative course that is very well narrated by the course lecturer. Fact based and many interesting theories introduced - which provide great context to understanding the subject of sustainability. Really enjoyable!

By Dan M N

Apr 14, 2020

Thank you for this course! I have enriched my knowledge towards the concept of sustainability. The professor gives excellent examples through graphs, charts, and case studies, which made me understand and analyze the course well!

By Natália C L d A

Oct 04, 2019

It was an aggregator in my learning about sustainability, the course is very well designed. I intend to do a master's degree in this area, so it helped me a lot to clarify some doubts on the subject. The course is excellent.

By Igor C M V

Sep 11, 2020

I really liked the scope from the course and I really believe everyone should know about these topics. Earth is only one, we need to understand how it lives and what's the price for not maintaining sustainable systems.

By TRACEY W

Feb 19, 2018

This was a great course and I highly recommend to anyone interested in learning more about sustainability to start here. This course was a great intro to many different aspects of sustainability and I learned so much.

By Kylie P

Dec 15, 2017

I learned an incredible amount from this course. The pacing was fair and the assignments were useful for the content. It was slightly outdated but not terribly so. I'm very thankful to have purchased this certificate