Back to Introduction to Sustainability

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Sustainability by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

This course introduces the academic approach of Sustainability and explores how today’s human societies can endure in the face of global change, ecosystem degradation and resource limitations. The course focuses on key knowledge areas of sustainability theory and practice, including population, ecosystems, global change, energy, agriculture, water, environmental economics and policy, ethics, and cultural history. This subject is of vital importance, seeking as it does to uncover the principles of the long-term welfare of all the peoples of the planet. As sustainability is a cross-disciplinary field of study, this foundation requires intellectual breadth: as I describe it in the class text, understanding our motivations requires the humanities, measuring the challenges of sustainability requires knowledge of the sciences (both natural and social), and building solutions requires technical insight into systems (such as provided by engineering, planning, and management)....

KF
Dec 18, 2016

It is a well prepared course. Contents are carefully organized and plenty of concepts and examples are included and analyzed. Overall, it is a excellent course to get an overview of sustainability.

JW
Nov 28, 2015

This was my first Coursera course, and I wasn't sure what to expect; but was very pleased with the organization, timescale things were run on, and overall neutrality of the course. Very well done!

126 - 150 of 672 Reviews for Introduction to Sustainability

By Jessica S

May 15, 2020

Very interesting and well-done course giving a broad overview of several important sustainability issues. Great professor, very clear and personable. Would definitely take another course from this professor.

By Jenny S

Mar 17, 2017

Lecturer Jonathan Tomkin was very clear on his delivery, The pace of the course is just nice and I like the references for additional readings. I would love to have at least one lecturer- graded assignment.

By Kirstie M

Jun 11, 2020

Very comprehensive material. Even the more difficult subjects are broken down into manageable chunks. Great supporting material and readings. Jonathon is a great presenter too. Really learnt a lot. Thanks!

By Tekle O

I loved this course. It is very organized, sequential and of course terrifically interesting for those who are interested in environment and sustainability issues. I totally recommend to take this course!

By Catalina M V

Oct 1, 2019

I wanted to learn the basics of sustainability and I found a lot of information about it, maybe I need to update it a bit to date but in general the course gave me the tools I needed, thank you very much.

By Sara F V

Apr 27, 2020

The professor made the subject easy to understand and gave me a different understanding of the theme.

It was a very informative and interesting course every week.

No doubt a course that I will recommend!

By Mai K S T

Sep 24, 2020

This course helps me to learn many things about sustainability. By this course, I am more interested in sustainable developments. I expect to learn more about this provided by Dr Johnathan Tomkin.

By Benjamin L

Oct 31, 2020

Professor Tomkins is fantastic and an excellent instructor! The course was was well structured and really gave me such a solid foundational understanding of sustainability topics. Thanks!

By Yordan U

Mar 5, 2021

Fantastic course and a great lecturer. Highly recommend it. This topic should be studied by many and I encourage people to explore it. There is so much that can be learnt in this course.

By Wai K P

Jun 8, 2020

The course was well-structured and insightful. It shows that environmental conservation cannot be a stand-alone discipline and it has to be consulted with economics for the greater good.

By Lee C

Nov 12, 2020

Brilliant! Really brought alot of issues to hand I had no idea about, the lectures are easy to understand and clear! I've kept alot of the info to look back on I can't recommend enough!

By Sumit p

A well thought and curated module which covers all essential aspects of sustainability. The course conduct was well designed and the examples and cases presented gave further insights.

By Ashley C

May 22, 2020

Thank you for providing this course online! Very pleased with my experience and all that I've learned! I thought it was a nice touch to include TED Talks throughout the course as well.

By Dr. R C P

Sep 25, 2020

The content and structure of the course are well presented and arranged. All modules helps to improve my knowledge in this area. The videos are really good to understand the concepts.

By Abdul W

Jun 4, 2020

Professor John Tomkins did a great job. I am going to pursue a career in sustainability only after completing the course. The course has had a very positive impact on me. Thankyou.

By RAHUL_PONDY

Go through it , you will feel that how it is so related to the current scenario. IPAT, Sustainability, Population, Energy , Negative externality and other topics covered in depth.

By Jill F

Jul 11, 2020

Great course, instructor made lectures interesting. I wish when I got an answer wrong I was directed where to find the answer in the material so I could review and understand.

By Amaliia K

Jun 3, 2020

It has been a useful and amazing journey. I have learnt much. I liked the tasks because they help you not only absorb the information but also think. Thank you for the course!

By Lucas B d O

May 9, 2016

I learned a lot. Now I need to study the legislation of my country to apply, with the knowledge acquired in this course, and help to improve our world for the next generations.

By Sakif A

Jun 26, 2020

I loved the whole course. especially the examples and visualization. Also, the relation amongst all the different elements were shown beautifully. I enjoyed the course a lot.

By Elif C B

Jun 8, 2020

Even though the course materials are minimum from 2012 data, it was very clear, eye opener, and very informative. I'm so glad that I've taken. Thank you for this opportunity.

By Kirby P P

May 8, 2020

This is a marvelous topic! The pace and presentation is effective for us learners. All the quizzes, assignments and interactive homework is challenging. Thank you for this.

By Debo B P A

May 4, 2020

It is an excellent course to get an overview of sustainability. I thoroughly enjoyed the course. Thank you so much to Dr. Jonathan Tomkin and UIUC for such a great course!

By Muhammad Z S

Jan 19, 2019

I highly recommend this course to ones who are working on sustainable energy this course is much worthy to clear your concepts about sustainability and sustainable future.

By Jennifer S

Jun 29, 2020

So grateful for this amazing course! I am now confident that sustainanility is the field of work in which I will continue to pursue! Highly highly recommend this course!