Back to Introduction to Sustainability

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Sustainability by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

This course introduces the academic approach of Sustainability and explores how today’s human societies can endure in the face of global change, ecosystem degradation and resource limitations. The course focuses on key knowledge areas of sustainability theory and practice, including population, ecosystems, global change, energy, agriculture, water, environmental economics and policy, ethics, and cultural history. This subject is of vital importance, seeking as it does to uncover the principles of the long-term welfare of all the peoples of the planet. As sustainability is a cross-disciplinary field of study, this foundation requires intellectual breadth: as I describe it in the class text, understanding our motivations requires the humanities, measuring the challenges of sustainability requires knowledge of the sciences (both natural and social), and building solutions requires technical insight into systems (such as provided by engineering, planning, and management)....

KF
Dec 18, 2016

It is a well prepared course. Contents are carefully organized and plenty of concepts and examples are included and analyzed. Overall, it is a excellent course to get an overview of sustainability.

JW
Nov 28, 2015

This was my first Coursera course, and I wasn't sure what to expect; but was very pleased with the organization, timescale things were run on, and overall neutrality of the course. Very well done!

126 - 150 of 614 Reviews for Introduction to Sustainability

By Dr. R C P

Sep 25, 2020

The content and structure of the course are well presented and arranged. All modules helps to improve my knowledge in this area. The videos are really good to understand the concepts.

By Abdul W

Jun 4, 2020

Professor John Tomkins did a great job. I am going to pursue a career in sustainability only after completing the course. The course has had a very positive impact on me. Thankyou.

By RAHUL_PONDY

Go through it , you will feel that how it is so related to the current scenario. IPAT, Sustainability, Population, Energy , Negative externality and other topics covered in depth.

By Jill F

Jul 11, 2020

Great course, instructor made lectures interesting. I wish when I got an answer wrong I was directed where to find the answer in the material so I could review and understand.

By Amaliia K

Jun 3, 2020

It has been a useful and amazing journey. I have learnt much. I liked the tasks because they help you not only absorb the information but also think. Thank you for the course!

By Lucas B d O

May 9, 2016

I learned a lot. Now I need to study the legislation of my country to apply, with the knowledge acquired in this course, and help to improve our world for the next generations.

By Sakif A

Jun 26, 2020

I loved the whole course. especially the examples and visualization. Also, the relation amongst all the different elements were shown beautifully. I enjoyed the course a lot.

By Elif C B

Jun 8, 2020

Even though the course materials are minimum from 2012 data, it was very clear, eye opener, and very informative. I'm so glad that I've taken. Thank you for this opportunity.

By Kirby P P

May 8, 2020

This is a marvelous topic! The pace and presentation is effective for us learners. All the quizzes, assignments and interactive homework is challenging. Thank you for this.

By Debo B P A

May 4, 2020

It is an excellent course to get an overview of sustainability. I thoroughly enjoyed the course. Thank you so much to Dr. Jonathan Tomkin and UIUC for such a great course!

By Muhammad Z S

Jan 19, 2019

I highly recommend this course to ones who are working on sustainable energy this course is much worthy to clear your concepts about sustainability and sustainable future.

By Jennifer S

Jun 29, 2020

So grateful for this amazing course! I am now confident that sustainanility is the field of work in which I will continue to pursue! Highly highly recommend this course!

By PRIYADHARSHINI A

Nov 2, 2020

I really had a great time in the Coursera.. this is my first online learning, so I really kind of understood the need of learning these kinds of knowledgeable courses.

By Wilson C

Apr 23, 2020

A great introduction to the field, helps me understand the constraints policymakers have with climate change and enlightened me on cautious optimism that we can have.

By DANIELA M D S F

Sep 23, 2016

The group of subjects Studied During the course were very interesting to me, I was really glad to be able to complete and will state Certainly this course to others.

By Francisco I

Jun 9, 2020

Great course, there are so many different point of views towards sustainability. I think this course has made me consider searching for a masters in Sustainability.

By Brosnar L

May 8, 2020

Amazing course. Thank you for this course. I've learned too many good things which I'm sure I will use in my professional career to helping to build a better world.

By Yudi Y S

Apr 11, 2020

This course is very helpful to change your mind in maintaining sustainability to your business. There are so many cases in the course that will help you to think.

By Kinga M

Sep 25, 2015

This is a very detailed course. You need to bring some time 1 or 2 h a week are not enough. But it is very well structured and everything is very well explained.

By Piyuminil K W

Oct 18, 2020

This is a great learning opportunity. Thank you very much, Dr. Jonathan Tomkin, for fascinating lessons throughout the course ' Introduction to Sustainability'.

By GIULIANO Z

Complete, well constructed and deep-going: University of Illinois' courses are long, but for the ones that have time to spend on them, they are surely the best.

By Leandro F T

Oct 22, 2019

In 8 weeks I've learned more than in other courses I've been doing this size. It's complete, general view of many environmental aspects, from economy to ecology

By Nuno M

Jul 9, 2020

A very nice course, providing a solid introduction to the topic of sustainability. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is interested in this subject.

By Ernitia P

I learned a lot from the course albeit having studied similar courses in university. Dr. Tomkin is an amazing lecturer and the videos were engaging. Thank you!

By M.E. v L

Jun 12, 2017

Very well designed course with excellent material, well balanced in terms of amount of information, level of understanding, coherence in the course structure.