Back to Introduction to Sustainability

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Sustainability by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

This course introduces the academic approach of Sustainability and explores how today’s human societies can endure in the face of global change, ecosystem degradation and resource limitations. The course focuses on key knowledge areas of sustainability theory and practice, including population, ecosystems, global change, energy, agriculture, water, environmental economics and policy, ethics, and cultural history. This subject is of vital importance, seeking as it does to uncover the principles of the long-term welfare of all the peoples of the planet. As sustainability is a cross-disciplinary field of study, this foundation requires intellectual breadth: as I describe it in the class text, understanding our motivations requires the humanities, measuring the challenges of sustainability requires knowledge of the sciences (both natural and social), and building solutions requires technical insight into systems (such as provided by engineering, planning, and management)....

KF

Dec 19, 2016

It is a well prepared course. Contents are carefully organized and plenty of concepts and examples are included and analyzed. Overall, it is a excellent course to get an overview of sustainability.

JW

Nov 29, 2015

This was my first Coursera course, and I wasn't sure what to expect; but was very pleased with the organization, timescale things were run on, and overall neutrality of the course. Very well done!

176 - 200 of 206 Reviews for Introduction to Sustainability

By Zdenka P

Nov 25, 2015

A very comprehensive introduction, well structured and narrated. Video lectures were interesting and easy-to-follow. I liked the fact that TED talks and other video sources were used in the syllabus. Also, the course book is well written. My only addition to it would be to include more solution-based topics.

By Vitor C

Mar 08, 2019

The course is very complete on it's subjects and points, but should have more slides and some times be more grafic about some examples, this makes the lessons boring and harder to follow because there is a massive amount of informations. Also have too much questions on the quizzes.

By Pooja L

Oct 15, 2017

Excellent understanding of relevant sustainability issues that are affecting the world. Though I feel some of the data is a little dated now. Ease of instruction and enough reference material to go back and brush up on topics that you find relevant or want to explore further.

By Nonica G

Aug 23, 2019

It was a great course that's well structured. it covered all the aspects and gave us a picture how interdependent each sphere is. It's time that we all understand and accordingly lead our daily lives with the maximum possible sustainable use.

By Jennifer A

Aug 22, 2016

I thought this course did a fine job of breaking down foundational concepts from the field sustainability in an understandable manner. The right combination of coursework, readings, and lecture for me.

By Marianne T

Oct 06, 2019

Took a while to get used to the prof a bit...but now I think he's great! Also, I like how slow he describes things and how well he explains. I would recommend this class.

By Ryan T

Oct 25, 2019

A great course for general learning on the path of sustainability. You will learn a higher level of science as opposed to politicized propaganda.

By Catherine S S

Oct 07, 2019

I loved this course. Learned a lot about Sustainability. I would have liked for the it to be more current. The information is from 2010.

By Jason R

Jan 07, 2017

For an introduction course, the syllabus is thorough and topics are well explained. Video lectures are well put together and engaging.

By Faizan A

Nov 21, 2015

I would like to thank professor Jonathan Tomkin for teaching this wonderful course. I learnt a lot from him.

By Grace A M

Dec 18, 2015

Muy bueno el curso. Vale la pena recibirlo de manera introductoria, se aprenden buenos conceptos.

By Kabaleeswaran

Oct 19, 2015

excellent course in terms of contents and information.

simple and well presented.

By Richard K

Oct 02, 2018

interesting course. I would prefer not to have to pay to complete the quizes.

By Abdelaziz M A K

Feb 26, 2016

It is a very good course,It gives you an abstract about the life around you.

By Aminah S

Aug 05, 2017

enjoyed this course very much and learned a lot from it. Thanks Coursera!

By Hassan S

Dec 01, 2016

A great course to know some sustainability basics. Learned a lot from it.

By MEGHNA K

Aug 29, 2015

Good course material. I am learning lot of new things.

By Erin M

Jan 17, 2016

Great, informative class but way too many quizzes.

By Luza Z

Aug 07, 2017

nice course. interesting themes to sustainability

By Reni A

Oct 02, 2015

Memberi banyak pengetahuan baru dan ide baru

By James C

Aug 15, 2017

Great introduction to sustainability.

By Elisavet P

Oct 01, 2016

Easy to follow and informative. :)

By Lena A K