Back to Introduction to Sustainability

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Sustainability by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

This course introduces the academic approach of Sustainability and explores how today’s human societies can endure in the face of global change, ecosystem degradation and resource limitations. The course focuses on key knowledge areas of sustainability theory and practice, including population, ecosystems, global change, energy, agriculture, water, environmental economics and policy, ethics, and cultural history. This subject is of vital importance, seeking as it does to uncover the principles of the long-term welfare of all the peoples of the planet. As sustainability is a cross-disciplinary field of study, this foundation requires intellectual breadth: as I describe it in the class text, understanding our motivations requires the humanities, measuring the challenges of sustainability requires knowledge of the sciences (both natural and social), and building solutions requires technical insight into systems (such as provided by engineering, planning, and management)....

KF
Dec 18, 2016

It is a well prepared course. Contents are carefully organized and plenty of concepts and examples are included and analyzed. Overall, it is a excellent course to get an overview of sustainability.

JW
Nov 28, 2015

This was my first Coursera course, and I wasn't sure what to expect; but was very pleased with the organization, timescale things were run on, and overall neutrality of the course. Very well done!

176 - 200 of 672 Reviews for Introduction to Sustainability

By Timotej S

Now I have a comprehensive understanding of what sustainability as a complete unit is about. It was a bit challenging but worth spending your time!

By Vanessa B

Mar 9, 2021

This course is very well managed and interesting. I would recommend it even even if only for personal enrichment. I enjoyed it so much. Very good!

By Jane W

Nov 13, 2020

This is a thought provoking course that has illuminated many aspects of sustainability that I had never considered. I highly recommend the course.

By Alice

Sep 22, 2020

this course open my mind to some issues and show me different point of views about the world and the theories around it to make it a better place.

By Himaghna B

Mar 26, 2017

Wonderful course. Opened me to sustainability ideas as well as current issues facing our world in a lucid and informative way. Highly recommended!

By Nakkeeran. E ( E

Jun 28, 2020

A very important and valuable course for all the budding engineers in the world. request all the engineers to study this course and get knowledge

By Myriam V S A

Jan 7, 2019

Excelente desde todo punto de vista. Muy didáctico, entretenido. Me ayudó a comprender muchos conceptos que ahora uso frecuentemente en mi cargo.

By Guadalupe M

Mar 23, 2016

the five points.

I consider that this course is very usuful and importat. We can learn more about problems that are important for our environment

By Pritam S

Jul 6, 2020

The Course was really fantastic! I was really new to sustainability, it cleared the basic concept and gave the vision of the thing! Recommended!

By Sachindra C N W

Provided excellent insights to sustainability. Kudos to Dr. Tomkin for the lucid lecture videos compiled. Would recommend this course to anyone.

By Stephanie T K

Nov 5, 2020

great course, it's really fascinating how this course to manage to see for the old and new conceptions of the environment and make them relate

By Vijal P

Jun 1, 2020

I learned many things from this course and got the idea about sustainability. I will personally give all the useful information to my network.

By Luiz H P

Oct 6, 2016

Excelent course, very well structured, very well conducted by the teatcher. I learned very much new concepts that will be very usefull for me.

By Chua W N D

Nov 10, 2020

Really enjoyed learning from this course, as they covered many aspects of sustainability and also made it really interesting for me to learn.

By Jin Y

Jul 22, 2020

Very thorough and sufficiently challenging. The explanation really allows you to understand a lot of very foreign concepts easily. Thank you!

By Olena M

The course is comprehensive, although I pretty much knew everything about the topic it helped me to arrange the knowledge and systematize it.

By Denis L

Nov 6, 2019

great course which give enough details on a high scale of sustainability from a science point of view to economics and a more modern approach

By Francisco M M A

Aug 22, 2020

Very interesting and important information to understand our current situation and learn that we are in the time to make corrective actions.

By Joel S

Mar 18, 2020

The wealth of information was enlightening. I feel I have a much better grasp of the underlying science and issues for a sustainable planet.

By MANISH P

Nov 10, 2020

This course teaches concepts that are crucial for anyone trying to take action against climate change and achieve sustainable development.

By Lori A B

Jan 14, 2020

Great course, this helped me decide whether or not I would like to pursue a degree in this field (I decided in the affirmative). Thank you!

By Alpana D

Jan 9, 2020

It is a very good introductory course. It has really widen my knowledge about the topic and how to see factors important for earth system.

By Sandeep

May 16, 2019

This Course is moderate and very informative and can be done by anyone and there will be no need of any prerequiste knowledge required.

By Gan K H

Sep 11, 2015

I like how the lectures are delivered. It is very engaging, and the content has been very useful. Level of details is also good for me.

By Gustavo S L

Aug 21, 2020

this course was very interesting and will be very useful in my every day life, thank coursera to put it for free during this pandemic