Back to Introduction to Sustainability

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Sustainability by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

This course introduces the academic approach of Sustainability and explores how today’s human societies can endure in the face of global change, ecosystem degradation and resource limitations. The course focuses on key knowledge areas of sustainability theory and practice, including population, ecosystems, global change, energy, agriculture, water, environmental economics and policy, ethics, and cultural history. This subject is of vital importance, seeking as it does to uncover the principles of the long-term welfare of all the peoples of the planet. As sustainability is a cross-disciplinary field of study, this foundation requires intellectual breadth: as I describe it in the class text, understanding our motivations requires the humanities, measuring the challenges of sustainability requires knowledge of the sciences (both natural and social), and building solutions requires technical insight into systems (such as provided by engineering, planning, and management)....

KF

Dec 19, 2016

It is a well prepared course. Contents are carefully organized and plenty of concepts and examples are included and analyzed. Overall, it is a excellent course to get an overview of sustainability.

JW

Nov 29, 2015

This was my first Coursera course, and I wasn't sure what to expect; but was very pleased with the organization, timescale things were run on, and overall neutrality of the course. Very well done!

176 - 198 of 198 Reviews for Introduction to Sustainability

By Faizan A

Nov 21, 2015

I would like to thank professor Jonathan Tomkin for teaching this wonderful course. I learnt a lot from him.

By Reni A

Oct 02, 2015

Memberi banyak pengetahuan baru dan ide baru

By Aminah S

Aug 05, 2017

enjoyed this course very much and learned a lot from it. Thanks Coursera!

By Pedro A C

Nov 05, 2016

good

By raymond j

Dec 08, 2016

Good

By Clare S

Dec 27, 2017

This has been a great class - good information and stuff everyone should know. Thank you so much! It's also surprising how thoughtful the tests are and how they can really test knowledge. I love the peer review - it's great to read other classmates' thoughts. Areas for improvement:

a) course content really needs an update every 5 or so years. From what I can tell, the course was written up in 2005. A LOT has changed. To keep this class vibrant, content needs updating!

b) there are some really arcane test questions and despite posting Q about them, requesting an explanation, I did not receive any response from the many TAs who are assigned to the course

c) peer reviews can be made more meaningful - the 5 or so checkboxes that you fill out as a reviewer really don't go into much depth - for example, a word count? Seems like the app could check that.

By Luza Z

Aug 07, 2017

nice course. interesting themes to sustainability

By Lena A K

May 08, 2017

Good Course

By Jennifer A

Aug 22, 2016

I thought this course did a fine job of breaking down foundational concepts from the field sustainability in an understandable manner. The right combination of coursework, readings, and lecture for me.

By Abdelaziz M A K

Feb 26, 2016

It is a very good course,It gives you an abstract about the life around you.

By James C

Aug 15, 2017

Great introduction to sustainability.

By Nonica G

Aug 23, 2019

It was a great course that's well structured. it covered all the aspects and gave us a picture how interdependent each sphere is. It's time that we all understand and accordingly lead our daily lives with the maximum possible sustainable use.

By Ryan T

Oct 25, 2019

A great course for general learning on the path of sustainability. You will learn a higher level of science as opposed to politicized propaganda.

By Marianne T

Oct 06, 2019

Took a while to get used to the prof a bit...but now I think he's great! Also, I like how slow he describes things and how well he explains. I would recommend this class.

By Catherine S S

Oct 07, 2019

I loved this course. Learned a lot about Sustainability. I would have liked for the it to be more current. The information is from 2010.

By Jason R

Jan 07, 2017

For an introduction course, the syllabus is thorough and topics are well explained. Video lectures are well put together and engaging.

By Denique L G

Jan 09, 2019

Absolutely loved the course. Learnt so much and its helped me understand what i as an individual can do as well to live a more sustainable life as well as ease my worry about us as humanity being doomed.I found the way the questions were asked got me confused at times and that is where i struggled my only critic.I am so grateful for this opportunity to learn this course and being allowed to extend my course deadlines a bit further due to work commitments and still be able to pass I am really happy.Thank you.I will most certainly be looking for more courses to start soon and continue to follow my passion.The videos were great and so informative. Thank you Mr. Tomkin

By Vitor C

Mar 08, 2019

The course is very complete on it's subjects and points, but should have more slides and some times be more grafic about some examples, this makes the lessons boring and harder to follow because there is a massive amount of informations. Also have too much questions on the quizzes.

By Omid Z

Jul 22, 2018

It was a good introductory course, but needs more detailed information and mathematical formulas.

By Ellie H

Sep 11, 2017

decent

By Jonathan G

Jan 31, 2018

I found this course boring and redundant. It was covering stuff that could easily be learned enough high school level course. It bored me to tears! They were stretching out something that can easily be learned in one shot.

By Gabriel M

Nov 19, 2015

I am sorry but the Prof. doesn't know how to attract students to be more curious.

By Alvaro I F

Aug 30, 2016

shame you have to pay for this course although the content is good