Back to Symmetric Cryptography

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Symmetric Cryptography by University of Colorado System

Welcome to Symmetric Cryptography! Symmetric cryptography relies on shared secret key to ensure message confidentiality, so that the unauthorized attackers cannot retrieve the message. The course describes substitution and transposition techniques, which were the bases for classical cryptography when the message is encoded in natural language such as English. Then, we build on product ciphers (using both substitution and transposition/permutation) to describe modern block ciphers and review the widely used cipher algorithms in DES, 3-DES, and AES. Lastly, we enable the use of block ciphers to support variable data length by introducing different modes of block cipher operations in ECB, CBC, CFB, OFB, and CTR modes. This course is cross-listed and is a part of the two specializations, the Applied Cryptography specialization and the Introduction to Applied Cryptography specialization....

MT

Jul 22, 2020

This course has deepened my interest in Cryptography. I am a fan of Da Vinci and ciphers. I am gonna dig a lot deeper in this. Thanks for providing the required directivity.

AJ

May 23, 2020

A great learning experience. I teach Cryptography in my Institution and this course helped me gain additional insights on the course.

1 - 25 of 29 Reviews for Symmetric Cryptography

By Chivukula S

Jun 11, 2020

The course is well designed and highly useful to every cryptographer. The lectures are very explanatory and understandable. But the DES pseudo code assignment is somewhat difficult for non computer science people.

By Ishan D

Apr 17, 2020

Peer graded assignments are not good cheaters are being passed but people like me who write original content are being failed by mere 1 or two points by peers.People are literally copying codes from websites and are being graded and given certification of completion.Its really the sad truth.

By Tianxiang X

Jun 04, 2020

Very good course that covers a lot of material on symmetric ciphers.

One possible area of improvement would be to cover some possible attacks specifically against symmetric ciphers. A bit of this is done when discussing the weakness of 2DES (MITM attack), which is very interesting. More of this would help reinforce the sense that cryptology is a combination of both coming up w/ better algorithms & breaking existing ones.

By Mohanish S T

Jul 22, 2020

By Adri J J J

May 23, 2020

By pvlakshmi

Aug 04, 2020

course design is brilliant. assignment questions are wonderful. peer review , flash quiz amazing.

By Manuel A H P

Jul 20, 2020

Gives you a great explanation of the encryption algorithms and how they work

By Reza F

The course was very helpful. Thank you very much

By Georgios P

May 25, 2019

Great course presented in an simple way!

By JITANG A

Sep 02, 2020

Loved this course. Learned a lot.

By Nisarg U

By Mr.Arif M A

Excellent

By SANGEET D

Sep 03, 2020

good

By Dasari V R

Jun 03, 2020

Nice

By gajveer s r

Nov 21, 2019

fsd

By LAVANYA S 1

Apr 23, 2020

Too delayed to earn this certificate because of not reviewed in the peer-graded assignment.I extended the due dates twice in April 13,2020 and April 20,2020 and now finally I got my certificate.This is the only negative thing that I felt.Please make sure that others peers wont get this complication.

By Nikhil Y

Jun 04, 2020

it was an amazing experience!!

By Rohan L

May 22, 2020

Good for fundamental understanding, but lacks mathematical foundations. So, if u get the math behind what's happening, u will enjoy the course and the quizzes. If not, for a more mathematical approach, refer NPTEL's IIT KGP Course