Back to Technical Support Fundamentals

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Technical Support Fundamentals by Google

This course is the first of a series that aims to prepare you for a role as an entry-level IT Support Specialist. In this course, you’ll be introduced to the world of Information Technology, or IT. You’ll learn about the different facets of Information Technology, like computer hardware, the Internet, computer software, troubleshooting, and customer service. This course covers a wide variety of topics in IT that are designed to give you an overview of what’s to come in this certificate program. By the end of this course, you’ll be able to: ● understand how the binary system works ● assemble a computer from scratch ● choose and install an operating system on a computer ● understand what the Internet is, how it works, and the impact it has in the modern world ● learn how applications are created and how they work under the hood of a computer ● utilize common problem-solving methodologies and soft skills in an Information Technology setting...

AK
Mar 3, 2020

You were such a hit. Thanks for this course and the next five more! On behalf of our entire organization, thanks again for taking the Conference to a whole new level of education and professionalism!!

YC

Great course for beginners and experts. Easy to understand and a good refresher for those who have been into IT for a long date. Recommend it to everyone looking for a high quality course on coursera.

51 - 75 of 10,000 Reviews for Technical Support Fundamentals

By Anthony R

Jun 15, 2019

This specific course is fairly useless in all honestly. I finished all 6 weeks worth of work within 4 hours. The class goes over what Binary is (something which you don't need to know as a support specialist even as a senior specialist or high level manager), how to install/uninstall software, how the internet works, and how you should use common sense when writing out documentation. 95% of this course if fluff and can be summed up in three simple Google searches (ironic isn't it?) This specific course will just waste your time with redundant tasks. I spent 30 minutes (28 minutes of that was waiting for access to QwickLabs) proving I know how to install software. If I'm using an online learning platform like Coursera and accessing RDPs/SSH it is extremely unlikely I wouldn't know how to use a web browser or install one. Likewise no one I have ever met in my 10+ years in IT has ever needed to count in binary unless you're doing cryptography which is entirely different than standard "support". That's a whole other specialization that requires far more demanding study. I think this entire course should be made as a free supplemental material and dropped from the Google Professional IT Support Certification requirements.

By greg s

Apr 8, 2020

Made it to end of week 5...Too many software glitches (with Quicklabs /graded tasks) to continue...Even the Quicklabs Chat line could not even fix them or help "during the five (5) times I tried to complete the two "week five" graded tasks...I am going to unenroll till GOOGLE fixes this problem...I wanted to to do this so bad...I could taste it...I wanted to work for GOOGLE after earning this certif., but, I feel it is impossible for a person like me (living with disabilities) to deal with so many software malfunctions currently associated with the courses' Quicklabs /graded tasks...GOOGLE: If, you read this...please contact me...so I can to finish this course , once you get these problematic software glitches (in this course) fixed as i really want to work for you (GOOGLE ) ... The instruction and instructors were GREAT...Just the software glitches (with Quicklabs /graded tasks) were the roadblock... Example of problems experienced in one of the attempts: Could not proceed with "install, update, and remove software in linux" lab as putty.exe would not run due to (fatal error message)...qwiklabs download ppk would, also, not run and an error message stated "this file does not have an app associated with it."

By Oisin

Jun 22, 2018

Dont waste your time with this garbageThe first time you'll try and log into quik labs it'll all come apart - Click RDP it says - sure - then sit there like a sucker looking at a grey screen

By L P

Dec 28, 2018

I don't think my end has had issues since I needed to create a folder with window assessment. I had exceed the testing but after 15 trials-the trouble is not from my end but your courses.

Jul 16, 2020

BAD BAD online course !! BAD instruction given. VERY HARD to follow or understand course steps or instruction. CAN NOT CALL AND GET HELP!!! call me 704-737-2336.

By Ann H

Mar 14, 2020

I really enjoyed learning so many new things. It would be nice if there had been a bit more instruction on Qwiklabs.

Is there a glossary of terms and acronyms on the site I am missing. I asked on the message board but never received a response. I will double-check that in a moment.

Are there books you recommend we read as we go through the learning process?

Finally, the tech team was most helpful in answering my questions

THANK YOU!!! Ann Happ

By Nishant K G

Apr 20, 2020

When I started this course I just had a basic knowledge about Computers, but after completing this course I feel like I know about Computer (Hardware, Software, Networking) now, obviously, there's a lot to learn about Computers, its a very vast field, but this course helped me build my foundations on Computer.

Thanks, Coursera and Google!

By Ariana B

Jan 1, 2019

Very helpful in giving you the basics and foundation to build upon. I recommend this course even if someone has already taken something similar. It never hurts to level set and make sure your foundation for learning and understanding is solid.

By Shannon L A

Jan 19, 2021

Starting from scratch, I feel like I've gained a great basic understanding of IT support. It was informative, and it has motivated me and left me hungry for more. I am excite to start the next course!

By Karthik M

Dec 4, 2018

It worth reading and going through videos .

Thanks Google

By Felipe G

Dec 3, 2018

Great course for a beginners!!! Totally recommended

By SALUNKE S P

iam not getting my proper name on certificate

By Delana S

Nov 19, 2018

G

By Marco R

Mar 1, 2020

Really good course for those wanting to sink their teeth into IT and also a good refresher for those who've been into technology for a while. There are some minor bits newcomers will be confused on due to the course forgetting some things but it's overall something I'd recommend to someone.

By DAVID E M V

Sep 1, 2020

thanks

Ahora en mi idioma original

Muchas pero muchas gracias, a decir verdad es mi primera experiencia, pero ha sido la mejor, siento satisfacción y honra, al tener personas tan pero tan preparadas y tan humanas y excelentes personas, no tengo como describir mi emoción, a ustedes muchas gracias, y espero poder tener maneras de seguir aprendiendo de ustedes, solamente me dieron 2 meses y no pude tener mas que esto, pero igual, espero poder aprender mas de ustedes por este medio o directamente de ustedes, muchas gracias.

By Thomas J

Oct 28, 2020

This course was a great introduction to the aspects of Tech Support. The instructors were great, the content was kept basic enough for someone who is coming in with no knowledge whatsoever. I was familiar, at a basic level, with many of the subjects but it just resulted in my going through the estimated 6 weeks in about a week and a half. I expect that I will slow down that rate as I take a deeper dive into these subjects and end up out of my comfort zone.

By Elianeth A F

Jan 24, 2020

This course has helped me to refresh and update many things, I have a technical background but I had separated a little from the theory. It is a very good way to start training in this wonderful career of IT Support, of the things that I liked the most has been to understand how the internet works, handle procedures that save you time, the detail of customer support. I am ready to advance to the next level. Thank you Google and Coursera.

By Ronald H B

Feb 20, 2021

This was an excellent course even for a novice in IT. The only thing that I would add is a glossary of terms so that they could be readily accessed during the course-----so many terms, so little time.

By Duke B

May 16, 2020

I'm not sure why I wasted my time to be some kind of customer support representative for problems my grandmother would call about. I only have myself to blame.

By SUNDAY C O

Jun 2, 2021

Before now, I was really ignorant of all I have successfully learnt here. I was just a mere user! But today, thanks to Google, I have a clear idea of computer networking; computer assemblage(although I will continue to read deeply on them); the history and usage of the internet, how the computer works using binary; troubleshooting and various technics to solve customers' IT problems. It is amazing the training on how to relate with a customer in the process of troubleshooting. A lot of experiences and knowledge have been garnered from this course, and I am eternally grateful to Google and Coursera. Although this IT Support programme is fundamental, it is the bedrock and platform on which many of us would build our careers in this noble Information and Communication Technology industry. I am so elated to have learnt all that I learnt here and to be hopeful that one day, I will be tasked to put them to test by solving IT problem. I am so happy for the experience I have gathered in this course. I, therefore, give God, Google and Coursera the glory, thanks and appreciation respectively.

By Purbasari C S

Jun 3, 2021

This course is perfect for beginners willing to jump in into IT industry but don't know where to start.

I am working as a Junior Software Engineer however I have no background related to IT at all. I faced a lot of problems at work due to my lack of IT knowledge. Personally, this course has strengthen my fundamental IT skill and it helped me to cope with unnecessary headache at work. There's also a lot of 'That makes sense now' moments after taking this course.

Whether you want to be a Web Developer, IT support, or even AI Engineer, if you're a total beginner in IT then this course is a perfect start.

By Kyle S J

Jan 20, 2019

Delightful intro and information into the IT realm. I'm so excited to see the next group of courses. I was able to complete this in 6 days, so I think the timeline of 6 weeks was very loose. Instructors were super intelligent and I thoroughly enjoyed their words of wisdom at the end of the subjects they were teaching. Having their insight is like having a great friend in the industry. I can only hope to attain a job as a support tech asap!

By Donna S

Jul 15, 2020

In the beginning I thought we were only learning technical terms and I was a bit disappointed but as we got into the lessons, boy was I wrong! Having no technical knowledge at all, we got into the nuts and bolts of installing hardware, software etc. After having issues with my computers i learned about the cloud which was also a plus. I feel quite a bit more knowledgeable in IT.

By Piyush A

Jun 10, 2020

This course is very intresting if you are a beginner then also as they teach you from the basic to end which is very helpful if you want to do further course in IT department.

they also teach you to assemble the computer and tell you the history of computers in a very brief way which is also easy to understand. I recommend this course to all who want to move ahead in IT courses.

By Rhenado S B

Aug 22, 2020

The Technical Support Fundamentals module started by building from the foundation by introducing the history of computers to understanding concepts of how computers connect and communicate on a network. The modules also introduce identifying parts of a computers and how to implement troubleshooting best practices in solving an issue in an efficient and effective manner.