Back to Terrorism and Counterterrorism: Comparing Theory and Practice

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Terrorism and Counterterrorism: Comparing Theory and Practice by Universiteit Leiden

Terrorism has arguably been one of the defining factors of our age. It frequently makes headlines, threatening or attacking governments, private business and ordinary citizens. And in many parts of the world, it has been one of the most important threats to peace, security and stability. But what does this exactly mean? What is the nature of this threat? Who or what is threatened, how, by whom and why? What can be done about it or how can we at least limit the impact of terrorism and make sure that terrorists do not make headlines and manage to scare us? These are just a handful of questions that will be addressed in this course that consists of three parts. First it focuses on the essence of terrorism as an instrument to achieve certain goals, in addition to an exploration of this phenomenon and the difficulties in defining it. The second part provides an overview of the state of the art in (counter) terrorism studies. Since ‘9/11’ terrorism studies have grown exponentially, reflecting the rise in perceived threats. But what has academia come up with? What theories, assumptions and conventional wisdom has it produced that could be of help in understanding terrorism and dealing with it? The most interesting results are examined and compared with empirical evidence with the aim to either stress their importance or to debunk them as myths. The final part looks into the implications and possibilities for policy making. The course ends with a module specifically designed to address one of today's most topical issue: the foreign fighter phenomenon....

WM
Feb 24, 2021

Among the most informative courses i have taken, the material and videos provided are so detailed and specific to this field. I would recommend it to anyone with an interest matters terrorism.

LZ
May 22, 2016

This excellent, balanced course uses a great combination of concise videos and additional reading. I enrolled hoping to better understand this hot-topic and Prof. Bakker's course was perfect.

101 - 125 of 646 Reviews for Terrorism and Counterterrorism: Comparing Theory and Practice

By Sohail N K

Mar 10, 2017

An excellent endeavour to highlight how we understand and counter terrorism today. It reinforces Jenkin's perspective that "Unless we think like a terrorist we are liable to miss the point". My congratulation to Dr Bakker , his team,and the university. BRAVO..

By rupert s

Oct 11, 2016

A really good introduction to the course, well explained, good videos, I only wish I could have read the extra materials too. Only one complaint (very minor) - I live in Colombia and found a couple of references to Columbia in the materials. But overall super.

By Diego G G

Sep 7, 2015

I have learned a lot since the very beginning of this course, i found very accurate the content in each module, and i should mention that profesor Bakker is very objective at explaining, and when it comes to sharing his opinions he gives reasonable arguments.

By Jose M C

Jun 2, 2017

It is an excellent course in acquiring theoretical and practical knowledge of the subject, I am very pleased to participate, demonstrating my taste in talking about these subjects, I would like to continue learning about the material. Thank you very much

By JG V H

May 8, 2021

Excellent Course! Prof Bakker's easy manner in explaining concepts is very helpful. The academic material is very helpfull and insightful! Constant updating of the course would ensure that it will stay constantly relevant. Thank you for a great course!

By Hellen O

Jan 25, 2016

Very well covered intro into the study of terrorism and counterterrorism. Gives the learner new perspectives and a challenge to research further into the subject. This is a course that should be taken by everyone in a security or governance related field

By BILU K

Sep 27, 2016

Really impressed and motivated to learn different types of Terrorist Names and organization. It gives me an idea to start think critically and develop mechanism to stop Terrorist in the country. I really appreciate it. Thanks

Bilu Kasanda

Papua New Guinea

By Mike S

Apr 28, 2016

Very compelling arguments and facts. I was looking for something to do and always enjoy broadening knowledge.

The content was heavy enough to be meaningful, but light enough to be enjoyable. I enjoyed the discussion forums. I will be continuing the series.

By Karen B

Sep 4, 2017

I have a degree and mastery, and I have taken many courses, but this one stands out for the quality of the speakers, the information and the pedagogy, I really congratulate you, especially to Professor Edwin Bakker, many congratulations and admiration.

By Eriberto T

Aug 7, 2017

Very relevant course. When I took it, I just appreciated its theoretical value. Now that we have our nearby city attacked by terrorists and held on for more than two months, the course has become one of the most relevant courses in our society today.

By Ivan J

Oct 25, 2017

A very good course diving into the foundations of analysing terrorism and counter-terrorism. It is scholar oriented but considers as well data collected from global terrorism databases. It was pivotal to train and exercise further academic thinking.

By Sudhanshu J

I am student of CAREER POINT UNIVERSITY and completed this course and learn many things like history,how terrorism works in world and learn lot of things but I not able to get course certificate after completion of course,so please can you help me

By kaiser m i

Aug 29, 2015

This is one of the best course that showcase our most vital in a way most contemporary matters. Hopefully, the people who will take part in this course will have improved their level of humanity and their partial eyes through a inevitable process.

By Cao Y

Aug 26, 2015

Very helpful for a basic understanding of terrorism and counterterrorism, and a knowledge with the current reseach in this field. A very pleasent experience studying with Prof. Bakker, and looking forward to the next course with Leiden University.

By Martin C

Sep 8, 2020

Course tutor is very engaging and retained my interest throughout the course. Subject matter is clearly taught at a level both those with a limited insight in to the subject and those already in the area can understand. Highly recommended course.

By Zeta

Oct 20, 2020

Very informative and highly enjoyable. The professor is knowledgeable and the length is just about right. I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in debunking myths about terrorism and enhancing his/her knowledge around this matter.

By Zdenek V

Apr 16, 2017

A very good insight in the field of terrorism, its deffinition, impact, counter measures, history and future, from the academical point of view. The course is very well organized and I would recommend it to anyone with interest in the field.

By VAL B

Oct 31, 2020

I enjoyed learning as much as reading the articles and listening to the video lessons. Nobody should miss this course if he/she intends to understand the basics and intermediate complexities of terrorism and counterterrorism. Great course!

By sanatan k

Feb 12, 2019

Excellent course , it provides much required insight in to Terrorism and Counter Terrorism. I have gained enormously and have furthered my knowledge in this field which would not have been possible without undertaking this holistic course.

By Ephraim

Nov 20, 2018

It's been really interesting

It has helped supported me with a lot of needed resourses and infor for my dissertation

The used language is easy and understandable.

There is a big amount of information and statistics

The course is well organized

By Kevin A H

Sep 13, 2015

This course, which delves into the minds of the experts, can expand your knowledge into what's really happening, not just the opinions of the media. Further, it goes deep into the 'why' in a world only interested in the 'who' and 'where'.

By Krzysztof K

Jun 1, 2020

I was working through the course it as I am interested in the field and one day would love to work for an expert organization in this matter.

I must say, I really enjoyed it. It's very well produced and everything is properly explained.

By Bárbara B

Dec 3, 2015

The course brings up subjects about terrorism that are very interesting, such as the history of terrorism. I liked it very much and I highly recommend it for anyone interested in political science, terrorism and international relations.

By Kate G

May 12, 2017

Interesting, Encouraging and Fun to do! Each week gave a better insight into different areas and provide a wide and good understanding of Terrorism and Counter Terrorism Concepts. Amazing reading list and access to papers. It was a ple

By Arnaud S

Mar 21, 2018

A very insightful course, providing an academic approach to historical and current events. The course addresses a wide range of topics , it questions assumptions, and it provides new perspectives on terrorism. I highly recommend it!