Back to Terrorism and Counterterrorism: Comparing Theory and Practice

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Terrorism and Counterterrorism: Comparing Theory and Practice by Universiteit Leiden

Terrorism has arguably been one of the defining factors of our age. It frequently makes headlines, threatening or attacking governments, private business and ordinary citizens. And in many parts of the world, it has been one of the most important threats to peace, security and stability. But what does this exactly mean? What is the nature of this threat? Who or what is threatened, how, by whom and why? What can be done about it or how can we at least limit the impact of terrorism and make sure that terrorists do not make headlines and manage to scare us? These are just a handful of questions that will be addressed in this course that consists of three parts. First it focuses on the essence of terrorism as an instrument to achieve certain goals, in addition to an exploration of this phenomenon and the difficulties in defining it. The second part provides an overview of the state of the art in (counter) terrorism studies. Since ‘9/11’ terrorism studies have grown exponentially, reflecting the rise in perceived threats. But what has academia come up with? What theories, assumptions and conventional wisdom has it produced that could be of help in understanding terrorism and dealing with it? The most interesting results are examined and compared with empirical evidence with the aim to either stress their importance or to debunk them as myths. The final part looks into the implications and possibilities for policy making. The course ends with a module specifically designed to address one of today's most topical issue: the foreign fighter phenomenon....

LZ
May 22, 2016

This excellent, balanced course uses a great combination of concise videos and additional reading. I enrolled hoping to better understand this hot-topic and Prof. Bakker's course was perfect.

MZ
Sep 20, 2017

Useful and well done. This course is an example how to boost resilience in our society with knowledge. At the end of the day is a brick of our holistic counter terrorism actions. Thank you.

126 - 150 of 628 Reviews for Terrorism and Counterterrorism: Comparing Theory and Practice

By Георгий Ф

Jan 7, 2016

Sometimes i am absolutely disagree with some of conclusions but its a normal process of exploring the truth is in an academic way of reasoned debate, dialogue filled with respectful atmosphere.

Thank you for this course.

By Abhishek S

Sep 14, 2020

An excellently curated course that provides deep and nuanced learning on the subject of terrorism that is a dynamic, growing discipline. The Course Lead is an amazingly knowledgeable and articulate teacher/researcher.

By Yausheva A

Nov 26, 2015

I certainly enjoyed taking this course. Professor Bakker couldn`t be nicer and overall amazing, I understood and memorized every single bit of the studies. The reading was very useful as well. Thank you very much!

By Boris R

Nov 5, 2019

This is a great course on Terrorism and Counterterrorism, with very interesting lectures. The course will need to have a deep involvement in readings, taking notes and researches. I totally recommend this course!

By Sonny M L

Jun 3, 2017

Thank you Prof. Edwin Bakker.... it was very informative and comprehensive, yet open up our eyes that all of us can contribute to a better and safer society. So grateful for having the opportunity to participate.

By Claire C

Apr 10, 2017

This course has been incredibly helpful in making sense of the news and the world today. I especially appreciate the continuing contact and "office chats" which help put current events in perspective. Thank you!

By Harshit

Mar 4, 2016

Excellent work by Prof Bekkar. The course is not an easy one, although Prof Bekkar has given a very systematic overview of the subject. I highly recommend this course to anyone interested in National Security.

By Huascar A

Nov 1, 2016

I really want to recommend this course. It is presented in a clear and didactive way. Encouraging us to open our mind to many aspects of what terrorism is and how todeal with it. I enjoyed every minute of it.

By Sabine B

Jul 21, 2020

I learnt so very much and all relevant to today's time, the past, and (hopefully) my not so distant career shift. I will certainly use this MOOC as regular reference of research papers and views. Thank you!

By shota s

Jan 16, 2018

first off all i want to say thanks to all members of coursera online course and to university of leiden for this great experence and challange wich gives us (all students) another level of study best wishes

By Stephen G

Jul 11, 2017

Very thorough, timely and relevant. Upon completion, periodic office chats are made available to maintain current understanding and updates to a very unpredictable and fluid topic. Excellent presentation.

By Geoffrey S

Dec 10, 2016

A very interesting well presented course, that provides a good all rounded insight into terrorism and counter terrorism. which is easy to follow and provides you with a good understanding of todays issues.

By Jasper v K

Nov 1, 2015

Very well organized and very informative course, thoroughly introducing students to the topic, using the latest in academia on terrorism. Recommended for everyone seeking to understand the topic better.

By Francesco J A

Sep 2, 2020

GREAT EFFORT!!

Real important course for general and clear concept about the past, the actual, and future terrorism worldwide.

!!CONGRATULATIONS LEIDEN UNIVERSITY, CONGRATULATIONS TEACHERS AND DIRECTOR!!

By Hany G

Dec 24, 2020

Thank you so much for this course, it gives a great opportunity to interact with a topic of interest in our daily lives, and how to give more awareness to contribute to the fight against terrorism.

By Johan L

Dec 2, 2015

Excellent course. A thorough MOOC that gives more insight in the practice of terrorism and counterterrorism; what works and what doesn't, dividing myth from truth in a political sensitive subject.

By Terese M B

Jul 5, 2020

I loved this course! It's so interesting and really well organized and structured. The videos and readings are really interesting and understandable. Prof. Bakker explains everything perfectly!

By Alexandra M

Dec 2, 2015

It was a great course, i learned the mean aspects about terrorism and counter terrorism. I think the methodology used was essential to have more interest on the topics handled.

I recommend it!

By Penelope B

Oct 1, 2020

Very interesting an relevant look at the current state of terrorism research. This course is both accessible to anyone interested and in depth enough for those familiar with the topic.

By dimitrakou a

Mar 25, 2018

Excellent course, with very good extra material. The lectures were easy to follow and comprehendable even for someone with absolutely no background in the topic. Thank you very much.

By Cristina L

May 23, 2016

One of the best courses I ever made in my life. The videos gave me the opportunity to write my own notes and help me - with the additional readings - to learn about the main subject.

By Stergios V

Apr 28, 2020

The course was excellent as it helped me a lot because I deal with a similar subject in my dissertation in my postgraduate International Relations. I would definitely recommend it.

By Antonios K

Oct 13, 2015

A very helpful course, understanding the definition of terrorism, but also understand what are differences between terrorism and counterterrorism and what it takes to prevent them.

By mustafa k

Feb 11, 2017

it is a very useful course for the beginners. this course might be improved by adding one week for talking about the empirical literature on terrorism in political science field.

May 26, 2016

The best online course I have ever had. Lots of information on the subject,

engagin, very well presented.

Edwin, thank you, well done and I am looking forward for more from you.