Back to The Science of Well-Being

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Science of Well-Being by Yale University

In this course you will engage in a series of challenges designed to increase your own happiness and build more productive habits. As preparation for these tasks, Professor Laurie Santos reveals misconceptions about happiness, annoying features of the mind that lead us to think the way we do, and the research that can help us change. You will ultimately be prepared to successfully incorporate a specific wellness activity into your life. THE SCIENCE OF WELL BEING WAS PRODUCED IN PART DUE TO THE GENEROUS FUNDING OF THE DAVID F. SWENSEN FUND FOR INNOVATION IN TEACHING....

BT

Nov 27, 2019

Loved the practical "rewiring" assignments that helped me with understanding what really makes us happy. Not only this course changed my life perspective but enriched the lives of the people around me

EN

May 31, 2019

I absolutely enjoyed and learned a lot about happiness from this course. I will definitely recommend it to my peers, as it gets me to the core from my misconceptions to developing the right practices.

76 - 100 of 1,425 Reviews for The Science of Well-Being

By David L G

Jun 14, 2018

I really enjoyed this course! I had quite a few ah-ha moments. I would recommend this course to anyone that has been "chasing" happiness and wellness and is looking for research proven strategies to finally achieve some form of wellness in their life. Surprisingly, I was already on track with many of the strategies the course recommended but did learn some new things, which I have begun incorporating in my life. I also can't tell you how terrific it is to have access to all of the books, Ted Talks, and research articles that support the videos and other instructions, along with the surveys you can take for free to gain a little insight into who you are, how happy you are currently, and what your strengths are. This was just a terrific course!

By Homa F

Jun 08, 2018

This was my first course on coursera and I enjoyed every bit of it. I have learnt so much by putting the knowledge into practice, with positive results. I didn't expect the course to take as much time as it did, but that could be due to my time schedule and not how much the course demanded. I paid for the course so I would take it seriously which helped me in being more disciplined and of course to also get a certificate. I would recommend this course if you are trying to lear how to rewire your mind and having a better understanding of 'Misconceptions about Happiness' - 'Why our expectations are so bad' -'What stuff really increases happiness' - 'Strategies to reset you expectations' and 'Putting strategies into practice'.

By Michael D

Aug 28, 2019

I have been lucky enough to have a couple of months of downtime as I consider a significant transition in my life. Serendipitously, I stumbled upon this course and engaged out of curiosity. It was the right medicine at the right time. I learnt a lot and was given the language and logic to articulate several matters of personal significance . Before the course, I was feeling relatively content. Upon completion of the course, I am in a very good place. I found the content well presented, engaging and fascinating. I enjoyed the intellectual stimulation of reading around the topic but I particularly enjoyed the experiential nature of the course. Undertaking this course has been time very well spent on a number of levels.

By Romona J W

Jul 10, 2019

The instructor for the course was exceptional. She made taking the course delightful. Her approach to teaching put me at ease and caused me to be open to learning things from a different perspective. I would recommend this course to anyone who wants to help other's by being an example themselves and that doesn't mean that they should be perfect, but conscious enough that they soon can recover from any setback or mistake and move forward. We need more models such as this. Models that lead through relations with holding themselves accountable too. The instructor, presented herself as authentic and shared with us some of her vulnerabilities too. I am now developing new skills and I am the wiser. Thank you, Coursera.

By Jan M

Jun 28, 2019

This was a great course. I honestly lived this course every day, and it worked. It was good fun too, and not too taxing. The professor was fun, and if you want this certificate, you'll get it. It was fun, not challenging, but the strategies rubbed off. It is a perfect course for a beginner, or someone who has been doing the more difficult courses on Coursera, and needs a light-hearted break, for a few weeks. Real life strategies, ppl, real life strategies! There is a mass of references in this course, so if you want to get into psychology, and you want access to primo readings, I recommend. I didn't think it could be possible but Laurie is the coolest professor out. Loved the course!!! Go and do it, ppl!!!

By Kerstin

Aug 05, 2018

This is by far the best and most helpful course I've ever completed online, probably even in person. Laurie Santos is an absolute pleasure to watch on camera, something where many other courses, despite being informative, really fall behind. The material is presented in a really interesting and informative way and it set me up with the necessary tools to fall out of a deep hole I wasn't able to get out of. I didn't know why I was unhappy but this course helped me to realise that I was chasing the wrong things, how to find out what I really wanted and reminded me of some tools I can use now and in the future to prevent this from happening. I haven't been happier since.

By Christi L E

May 20, 2018

Highly recommend this course IF you are willing to dedicate your time to not just learning the material, but to the actual application of it to your own life on a daily basis. In order to achieve the maximum benefit and return for putting forth the effort to obtain a life of happiness . The educational material provided does not just start and end with the course, but will continue for a life time.This is an amazing course and I am so glad I found it extremely engaging, challenging and participated with my entire heart and mind to soak up as much as possible. I am planning on continuing my path of self learning and advancement for the betterment of myself.

By Taoufiq J

Apr 19, 2019

What I learned from this course that we could live all our life without knowing the real meaning of happiness, simply because we haven't the right information.

However now I could say that all my exeptations (Grades, Job, Money, Material things, Love, ...) in life had another impact on my daily life

In Addition, I learnt how to react when I have annonyings futures and replace it with new habits as Gratitude, Support situation, Savoring, Exercice, Social support, bref I have a new Happiness Mindset

Finaly I could say thank you to the teacher Laurie Santos and Yale University, because of you, Now I see life from another perspective

Taoufiq Janati

By Karen F

Dec 13, 2019

Very methodical. All assignments were challenging. The time for the duration of the course seems appropriate. I liked the reading materials and purchased a few of the books. I noticed the biggest change was when I practiced my character strengths. I wonder why it took me so long to just do the things that make me happy! The science is fascinating. It confirms some of the things I suspected, and also introduced me to new information, especially about how the brain works. I am more appreciative of simple solutions. I feel a forward momentum towards more joy and happiness and I couldn't be more grateful. Thank you Laurie Santos! You did an amazing job!

By Nicole K

Jun 14, 2018

This course is truly life altering. I've learned so much! Particularly that all those things that we've been chasing all our lives in the hopes of attaining happiness actually don't make us happier. Not to mention many of the things we avoid (I'm looking at you Social Connection) will, in fact, make us way happier. I think everyone should take this course. People honestly have no idea how to be happy and so many of us struggle with finding a reason to get out of bed in the morning. It shouldn't be like that. We all deserve happiness. I am forever grateful that I stumbled upon this course. It has changed my life. Thank You Yale and Laurie Santos.

By ANA B

Sep 17, 2019

I rate the course as excellent!

Professor Laurie Santos has engaged students, like me, who live thousands of miles from YALE.

The content was fabulous and motivated me to leave my comfort zone (I was a sedentary person and after the course, I motivated myself to do physical activities on a regular basis).

I learned many concepts that will help me in my daily life. The ones I loved the most were: MISWANTING; Consciously practice SAVORING, learn about GROWTH MINDSET and MIND-WANDERING and the WOOP Method.

The weekly rewirements were awesome!

Congratulations to the entire team! You were brilliant!

Receive an affectionate thanks from Brazil!

By Daniela B

Sep 06, 2019

Even if I was a bit skeptical in the beginning, after the first week I realized this course offers precious insight about the way our mind works and all the ways it can trick us.

Laurie is the kind of teacher I wish I had when I was still in school and it was very easy to follow her and to pay attention.

I recommend this course to anybody interested in getting to know more about themselves and about the actual things that do make us happy. The information is well structured and valuable and you have lots of resources (books, studies, interviews) if you want to find out more about a particular topic discussed in the course.

Cheers!

Daniela

By Stephanie S L

Jun 15, 2018

This course has giving me the chance to see how I have been living my life all along, even when it is still focused for Yale students, you Coursera and Dr. Lauren, can´t imagine how helpful this is for my life, I recently was left alone, my husband left without a logical and apparent reason, and I thought I never could stop feeling sad. With some of the tactis seen here, I have learned how to make myself a little happier each day and along the road help others. For me is much more than a simple online class, I really hope to have the chance to hear that this life-class is applied in my country Colombia, to help others like me.

By Joe M

Jun 10, 2019

I read about the course (somewhere) and I just so happen to be in a funk and felt miserable. I decided to give it a shot. When I was taking the test, I realized that I was unhappy. I could feel and see a noticeable difference in my attitude as the weeks went on. I was understanding more about my self and my choices, decisions, and outlook. I understood what it takes to actually be happy. It has been 6 weeks since I finished the course and I am still applying the techniques and information to make my life better and happier. I recommend this course highly. It really does make a difference.

By Devika D

Sep 24, 2019

This is a brilliant course to understand both the theory and the practical tools behind the science of well-being. Professor Santos has constructed it in a way that helps you link both and helps you actually put the tools to practice and also measure over time the difference it has made to your happiness. What more can one ask for, in any learning programme: the knowledge, the tools to put the knowledge into action, the measures to see the change and the ability to do it on your own once the programme is done. Congratulations to Professor Santos for designing this exceptional course.

By Nelly M C S

Mar 06, 2019

EXCELENTE CURSO, EXCELENTE FACILTADORA ESTOY FELIZZZ MUY FELIZZZ DE HABERLO CULMINADO Y DE HABER ADQUIRIDO EL HABITO DE MEDITAR QUE ME COSTABA HACERLO POR MAS DE 4 SEMANAS ESTUVE AQUI EN ESTE CURSO QUE ME DEJO UNA EXPERIENCIA SUMAMENTE MARAVILLOSA APRTE DE DARME LAS HERRAMIENTAS NECESARIAS PARA TRANSMITIR LO APRENDIDO Y PODER AYUDAR A OTROS EN LA BUSQUEDA DE LA FELICIDAD Y BIENESTAR. gRACIAS INFONITAS A LA PROFESORA LAURIE SANTOS A SU EQUIPO Y POR SU PUESTO A COURSERA POR LA OPORTUNIDAD DE PERMITIRME INGRESAR AL CURSO CULMINARLO CON EXITO Y ENTREGARME TAN VALIOSO CERTIFICADO

By Marian E

Aug 18, 2019

I loved this course Laurie !😊

I always love to uplevel my skills for improving my own happiness and well-being as it fits in with what i believe and know is my mission to help raise the happiness level on the planet.

This course has renewed my desire to get my book published and to grow this movement and mission.

Thank you for showing up at the right time in my life. I would love to connect with you outside of this course (i live in CT) and see how i can contribute more toward this movement.

This was a great course and very life affirming.

Thank you.

Marian Edvardsen

By Rhya

May 12, 2018

I like this course. I plan to implement these tips to improve the overall quality of my life. Packed with content, this course is easy to follow, understand and is relevant to the overall goal. The instructor does not just focus on happiness as a whole but on what happiness means to you as a individual. Its incredibly insightful while at the same time not offering cliche, one size fits all information. If nothing else, you will walk away from this course knowing a little more about yourself than you did before, and anything that points you towards your soul is a gift.

By Kimberley F

Apr 30, 2018

Great course, very practical suggestions that have easy to use suggestions to guide you. I like simple changes you can make with daily habits that are not hard to work in. I Like the supported science behind it, for clarity and answering the why's. It is encourages positive daily reflection time that directs and re-redirects you look at problem solving for yourself and As a high school teacher, I like that I can take this information and use it with my students, who are finding it useful to accomplish their goals. They especially like using the WOOP strategies.

By Rebecca L

Jun 11, 2018

This course gives a lot of practical and easily applicable advice and scientifically-proven techniques on how to improve well-being. It has the potential to give life-changing insight to just about anyone - from those who are just looking for ways to appreciate the little things to those who are trying to shift their entire paradigm of happiness. It is a course that requires self-dedication, self-searching, and a healthy dose of honesty in regards to changing the habits that we practice everyday that are detrimental to true happiness. I highly recommend!

By Jenny F

Jan 01, 2020

I really enjoyed this class. It also woke me to a realization of how I’ve been perceiving my level of well being, my happiness, and really a better realistic way I should be looking at it. It has been fascinating.

I also appreciated the layout of how the class was taught, the ease of being self paced and the personal satisfaction of completing the assignments and by default of the nature of the class, my personal goals. I think many people could benefit not only from this specific course, but from the less traditional way of taking the class.

By Linda L

Jul 05, 2018

Don't let Dr. Santos's laid back style fool you. There is a lot to be learned from this course and taking the rewirement challenges seriously can be life changing. Learning about numerous studies each week that back up the validity of activities that lead to happiness was the affirmation I needed to push myself to adopt some new behaviors and emphasize others with gusto. There is much to gain from the course, and it's not just for youngsters. I retired a few months ago and have found that improving my well-being is an energizing, achievable goal.

By Jakub G

Sep 06, 2018

its amazing how small things adds up to bigger things. once you know that for instance social connection makes your day brighter, you will think twice before ditching possible short conversation with stranger or neighbor.

I liked that there were assignments, not validated, but something that you can do. if you cheat you cheat yourself. If you will do everything as assignment and will not fall into a trap of "measuring everything" (more likely comparing like "I did not do enough good things today..."), your happiness level will go up. try it!

By Mirela

Nov 03, 2019

It's been brilliant. I love the mixed approach. It is the first course on Coursera that I'm actually going to finish and that is because I can see the applicability of what I am learning in my day-to-day life. That being said, it mixes up with academic rigour and it opened up a whole new area of psychology which speaks to me much more than the clinical one. I'm following this up with the Positive psychology specialisation and let's see where this takes me. Have recommended it to friends who are also taking the course :) Thank you!

By Philip H

Jul 23, 2019

This course was an excellent reminder to focus on what counts. I feel I had a slight advantage in knowing what makes me happy because I am likely older than most of the students and clearly a couple decades older than the Professor! It was nice to see the science and study behind everything I felt I had learned from my nearly six decades on this planet. At best this course will make you look at life with a much better perspective, at worst, you might be able to appreciate and savor more that which is truly important to you.