Back to The American South: Its Stories, Music, and Art

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The American South: Its Stories, Music, and Art by The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

From small farms to urban neighborhoods, from the region itself to the more distant worlds of the southern diaspora, we discover the stories, music, and art of the American South....

ES
Aug 13, 2015

One of the greatest courses I ever followed!\n\nInteresting, documentary, not even one minute boring, very well organized and easy to follow.\n\nMusic is part of our history.

CC
Aug 25, 2015

Bill Ferris is a wealth of knowledge and experience - I only regret missing out on the classroom dynamic of a Ferris-led discussion of Southern arts, particularly the Blues.

26 - 50 of 103 Reviews for The American South: Its Stories, Music, and Art

By Chris C

Aug 26, 2015

By Elizabeth S

Aug 14, 2015

One of the greatest courses I ever followed!

Music is part of our history.

By SOTIRISS

Jan 5, 2021

Its a very interesting presentation about the history of the American South and you learn a lot of new things especially if it isn"t in your culture knowledge.

By Edward M

Oct 5, 2015

Amazing course! Conversational, relaxed lectures that are well-informed, paired with excellent archival footage--mostly generated by the presenting professor.

By CYNTHIA W

Apr 20, 2018

Very interesting and informative course, I have a better understanding of southern culture, the stories, music and art I often heard my grandmother speak of.

By Julia B

Aug 4, 2020

I could tell that the professor was passionate about the subject and enjoys teaching it. His passion made everything more interesting and easier to learn.

Mar 29, 2016

Started this course, but had to stop initially because I started a PhD. But I couldn't stop thinking about it so resumed the other day. Loved it.

By Margaret F

Feb 3, 2016

This has been an interesting and informative course. It would be nice if Prof Ferris could produce an intermediate course on the same topic.

By Bill G

Nov 28, 2015

An excellent course. Truly informative and engaging. I recommend this course to those interested in the Blues, its history and birthplace.

By Rocio D

Sep 10, 2015

This is a course given by a person who really loves and feels passion for the subject... and this is doubtlessly reflected on the course

By Renu G

Nov 2, 2015

Wonderful course for the slated length-- wish it was more in depth and longer!

Professor is unspeakably amazing and knowledgeable!

By Lily

Oct 29, 2017

very helpful an introduction! Making me really wanna know more about the South. Love the Story-telling oral tradition of South!

By June m

Sep 27, 2020

Amazing course enjoyed every minute and would like to thank

Professor Ferris for sharing his knowledge in such a joyful way.

By dristanta b

Jun 15, 2020

It was truly very informative and interesting more so since I've always been a fan of the blues. Highly recommended. :)))

By Jennifer E

Nov 7, 2019

The lectures were so interesting and the interviews were amazing! The music added so much to the course! Highly recommend!

By Lynn D

Nov 7, 2015

I really enjoyed this course. The lecturer has a style that keeps you interested. The content was very interesting.

By miguel e a h

Jan 26, 2021

I loved this course. I learned about many interesting aspects in the southern lands of the united states.

By Barbara K A

Aug 24, 2017

Loved it although i wish i could have taken the quizzes as an auditor just to check what i had learned.

By Danielle C

Nov 1, 2017

I am so glad that I was able to participate in this class. It was so very enjoyable and informative.

By rachelclark

Apr 11, 2021

A beautiful portrayal and study of the American south, I really enjoyed this course. Thank you

By David J H

Mar 16, 2016

Fascinating introduction and lots of pointers to follow through if you want to explore more

By Elizabeth P

Nov 9, 2015

Engaging and interesting, a review of Southern Culture with an excellent instructor.

By Alice H S

Dec 29, 2016

Excellent! Full of treasure trove of information with History, stories and culture!

By Susana G

Thanks to William R. Ferris, I have enjoyed and learned a lot with this course.

By Olga d B

Feb 1, 2018

I really enjoyed the lectures. Thank you very much for such a great course!