Back to The Talmud: A Methodological Introduction

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Talmud: A Methodological Introduction by Northwestern University

The Talmud is one of the richest and most complicated works of literature the world has ever known. Since being composed around 1500 years ago it has inspired not only religious reverence but significant intellectual engagement. In this course learners will be introduced to the unique characteristics of this text and the challenges that inhere in studying it while studying a chapter of the Talmud. Students of the course can expect to develop an appreciation for how the Talmud works and why it continues to inspire religious and intellectual devotion. They will be challenged to employ critical reading skills and to analyze legal and historical concepts....

AP
Feb 17, 2019

Great way of introducing a topic as complex as the Talmud. It was surely amazing to have such course instructors who can rarely be matched both in eloquence and erudition. Overall it was fun!

KR
Jan 19, 2017

Best course I've experienced on Coursera so far! Really engaging and not 'dumbed down'. Fantastic and charismatic professor and assistant. Already recommended the course to many friends.

26 - 50 of 90 Reviews for The Talmud: A Methodological Introduction

By Melchisedec S

Jun 3, 2020

Very informative. As a reader of the Bible, I wanted to get as many understandings as I could. This course has definitely helped in my understanding of interpretation.

By Andrew K

Jul 16, 2020

I learned a lot. The course was well thought out, the presenters were knowledgeable and their material was well articulated, useful and interesting. Thank you!

By Helena V

Feb 12, 2021

Fantastic course. Dense yet extremely well organized. I finished the course in 3-4 days because the way the material was presented was extremely interesting.

By Sister P P O

Feb 23, 2020

Thank you for the clear instruction about a difficult topic of study. I marvel at the Talmud and the Rabbis who contributed to the wisdom contained within.

By Jay Y

Sep 13, 2020

I was a good course. I learned many things about Talmud that I did nit know before. It gave me a good understanding while reading the book The Talmud.

By Yap y k

Feb 23, 2021

I have learn about the complexity of the methods the rabbi used in the Talmud and an eye opener for me into the world of rabbinic world .

By Rob J

Apr 24, 2020

Outstanding! Loved the content, the presentation and the instructors were excellent. The MOOC was informative, as well.

By Tracy T

May 21, 2016

An outstanding look into the complexities and nuances of the the Talmud. Well-taught, thought-provoking, interesting...

By Paul F

Jan 11, 2021

Very interesting course. Good clear lectures and well presented material. Learned a lot and will continue the subject.

By John R

Aug 24, 2017

Now I can read the Talmud and understand the discussions presented in light of the explanations given in the course.

By JOHN Q

Apr 20, 2016

Nice course. I had no understanding of this part of Judism at all and the course really helped me.

By Rosemary K

May 16, 2020

A good foundation to reading the Talmud. The course was challenging and thought provoking.

By McKenzi N

Feb 5, 2020

Very informative yet good for beginners! I hope you two do more courses on the Talmud :)

By Alberto A O

Aug 8, 2020

Very well presented. Fluid, fascinating and fun. Thank you for all the work!

By Ivayla I

Jul 28, 2019

This is a fantastic course! I have learned so much! Thank you for offering it!

By Enrique G

Jul 25, 2019

Good explanations and very clear. Deep analysis about different options

Enrique

By Justine S

Feb 23, 2019

An excellent introduction to Talmud. Well composed, clear and easy to follow.

By Froment-Chatre

Jul 27, 2017

Todah rabah pour ce précieux cours. Un cordial shalom de France. Lehitraot.

By Ray M

May 20, 2021

Awesome course! It has really made me want more studies such as this.

By Gideon

Aug 1, 2017

This is hands down one of the best courses on Coursera

By Robert K

Jun 18, 2017

Well-designed, informative and superbly narrated.

By Claire B

Jul 30, 2020

Excellent introduction to a complicated topic.

By Leonard B

Nov 21, 2020

An excellent introduction to a complex study.