Back to Introduction to UI Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to UI Design by University of Minnesota

In this course, you will gain an understanding of the critical importance of user interface design. You will also learn industry-standard methods for how to approach the design of a user interface and key theories and frameworks that underlie the design of most interfaces you use today. Through a series of case studies on commercial systems - many of which you likely use on a regular basis - we will illustrate the benefits of good design. We will also demonstrate how the costs of bad design can often be severe (in user experience, money, and even human lives). You will then gain a high-level understanding of the user-interface design process. You will be introduced to common design scenarios - e.g. improving on existing designs and starting a new design from scratch - and the general design processes that tend to be used for each scenario. Finally, we will begin introducing the large body of existing knowledge on design by providing overviews of core user interface design theories and concepts. This key foundational information will help you avoid “reinventing the wheel” when you are designing your interfaces in this specialization....

CA
Jan 20, 2019

Has given valuable insights and new points of view. It extended my horizon, even though I am new on the field and have designed several user interfaces not according to the course principles so far.

MM
Nov 11, 2017

this course is just not about the theory it actually helps you to understand things on practical basis.The test and assignments helps you to apply the disciplines and makes you basic clear.

1 - 25 of 247 Reviews for Introduction to UI Design

By Eko

Apr 26, 2020

This course teach me to design not only web user interface but also any interfaces of everyday things. It help me how to address user's problem and how to approach it.

By Cagri A

Jan 20, 2019

By Abhaya D

Feb 1, 2019

Very well organised course structure, video's ,accessibility, great user experience, well organised evaluation process, very unique course.

By Sumesh A

Jun 11, 2018

Some teachers didn't really interact with the viewer. So some of the lectures felt boring. All in all top notch course.

By Anna F

Apr 26, 2020

I really enjoyed this course and learned a lot despite already working as a designer before starting the course. Everything is presented in a well-organized, easy to understand way. The peer-review assignments are also well-designed and help develop the students' analytical skills and improve their feedback-giving abilities. I particularly liked the interview with Don Norman at the end of the course. Even though it was recorded 4 years ago, it's still very relevant and informative today.

By Mimi

Nov 16, 2016

The content of this Intro class is excellent. I do think the assignments could afford to be a little more challenging and I do wish that a TA could review the assignments submitted. Other than that, the instructors are very knowledgeable and passionate about the material and make learning about it fun and interesting. I look forward to the other classes in this specialization.

By Michal H

Dec 17, 2018

This course was kind of nice introduction to UI Design and thinking about what might be important for the users whilst using the product. Not only theoretical background was made, the course was pretty well structured and well completed with examples of known services (such as Netflix etc.), on which we could describe what is good and what might be better and why.

By Peter T L

I am a service designer with a few years of experience, and started this course as a part of the UI specilaization to formalize my knowledge about design. This course gave very much what I expected with great instructors, colorful examples, and well-designed excercises.

By Mohini S

Nov 12, 2017

By Sharon A

Nov 13, 2018

I am so excited about to have gained an introductory knowledge on this course and I really anticipate learning the remaining four of the courses on this specialization.

By Surabhi K

Feb 5, 2019

Nice Course. Please improve review options , as one has to wait for too long

By sachin m

Apr 8, 2019

Course is really excellent, i have gained a lot of knowledge doing this.

By Ramakrishna

Jan 30, 2019

The content was explained in very easy ways.

By Alessandra C

Apr 25, 2019

Great course!

By sravanrekandar

Oct 15, 2016

The course content is adequate enough to justify the course title.

The best part is the assignments and the peer reviews. Reviewing the peers' work is gave me more insights into the subject. And getting reviewed by peers made me correct my self.

Bad parts: Few of the videos are presented in a manner that the presenter was reading notes by looking at a screen and without any expressions. This was defeating the purpose of video tutorial. The basic expectation of a video tutorial over a text reading is that the presenter could put some expression and interactivity.

By Steven C

Aug 3, 2017

Most of the presenters in this course made good use of examples and metaphors to clear up some of the more complex concepts and models. One of the presenters would benefit from this approach, as she typically merely read the items listed on her slides without expanding further. All in all, quite happy with this course.

By Dasom H

Oct 20, 2017

I don' know that the Chinese Professor really prepared her lectures.. She just read things exactly on the videos. And Let Lana drink some water,please...

By Vanessa O

Feb 3, 2017

English is not my first language but I have already taken other courses at Coursera, which I found very good, and that I was able to follow using the English subtitles.

In this course, there is a teacher who speaks very fast and it is difficult to follow their lessons.

In addition, some peer-graded assignement videos are without English subtitles.

By azil z

Jun 19, 2020

not for designers. Its for comupter people.

By James M

Mar 10, 2017

I really liked the way this course was organized. It offered a good mix of multiple choice quizzes as well as actual hands-on activities with peer evaluation and feedback. The videos provided a ton of real-life examples that helped quickly lodge the material into long-term memory which was very helpful. I am looking forward to the next course in this series.

By Euseph J

Mar 9, 2021

I learned a lot more about the design process than I thought was needed. The fundamentals really create an understanding of how to make to interface work well for the user as well as how to better design an interface. I would recommend this course to anyone interested in the basics of design or even veterans to regain knowledge on how to boost designs.

By Antonis M

Jan 26, 2017

Before attending this course, the world of UI Design looked complicated and daunting. It was really a pleasure attending it through Coursera. The videos are comprehensive, easy to understand and the assignments help a lot towards feeling more confident and eager to explore what's next towards UI Design specialization.

By Lourdes O

May 3, 2017

I enjoyed this course. I only wished I had received some feedback from instructors, or someone qualified to give more substantive feedback on the final assignment. I appreciate the peer review, both doing it and receiving it; however, having some feedback from a qualified evaluator is always a formative experience.

By Polina F

Jan 30, 2021

This course is awesome and I am very glad that I passed it. Very structured, excellent practical tasks and quizzes that help you better assimilate information. I will complete the entire course as soon as possible. Of course, there is a great lack of feedback from the creators, but that's okay

By Azam J K

Apr 9, 2017

Very good course to begin with and generally get into the frame of mind to apply a bottom up approach when thinking of a solution to a problem. Don't expect to start designing things right after this course, but you will start thinking and approaching problems from different angles.