Back to Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments by Duke University

How to Understand Arguments Think Again: How to Reason and Argue Reasoning is important. This series of four short courses will teach you how to do it well. You will learn simple but vital rules to follow in thinking about any topic at all and common and tempting mistakes to avoid in reasoning. We will discuss how to identify, analyze, and evaluate arguments by other people (including politicians, used car salesmen, and teachers) and how to construct arguments of your own in order to help you decide what to believe or what to do. These skills will be useful in dealing with whatever matters most to you. Courses at a Glance: All four courses in this series are offered through sessions which run every four weeks. We suggest sticking to the weekly schedule to the best of your ability. If for whatever reason you fall behind, feel free to re-enroll in the next session.We also suggest that you start each course close to the beginning of a month in order to increase the number of peers in the discussion forums who are working on the same material as you are. While each course can be taken independently, we suggest you take the four courses in order. Course 1 - Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments Course 2 - Think Again II: How to Reason Deductively Course 3 - Think Again III: How to Reason Inductively Course 4 - Think Again IV: How to Avoid Fallacies About This Course in the Series: When is someone giving an argument instead of just yelling? Which parts of what they say contribute to the argument? Why are they arguing instead of fighting? What are arguments made of? What forms do they take? Think Again: How to Understand Arguments will answer these questions a more. In this course, you will learn what an argument is. The definition of argument will enable students to identify when speakers are giving arguments and when they are not. Next, we will learn how to break an argument into its essential parts, how to put them in order to reveal their connections, and how to fill in gaps in an argument. By the end of this course, students will be better able to understand and appreciate arguments that they and other people present. Suggested Readings: Students who want more detailed explanations or additional exercises or who want to explore these topics in more depth should consult Understanding Arguments: An Introduction to Informal Logic, Ninth Edition, Concise, Chapters 1-5, by Walter Sinnott-Armstrong and Robert Fogelin. Course Format: Each week will be divided into multiple video segments that can be viewed separately or in groups. There will be short ungraded quizzes after each segment (to check comprehension) and a longer graded quiz at the end of the course....

FY

Jul 06, 2018

I found this course very challenging as I find critical thinking very difficult. However this course was extremely rewarding and I will be taking the other three modules in the Think Again series.

RH

Feb 16, 2017

This is a very very engaging and applicable course, and is truly presented with 10/10 efficacy! I couldn't be more sincere and adamant in my recommendation, no matter who you are or what you do.

51 - 75 of 332 Reviews for Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments

By Kedar J

Feb 03, 2018

Great course! This art is almost lost in the age of social media and low attention spans. People of all ages should take this course. The course teaches you what arguments are, why people make them, how to deconstruct arguments and put them back together for understanding and analysis.

By Mike L

Nov 04, 2017

1) I enjoyed the class 2) the professor was clear 3) the professor was interesting 4) the material was interesting and informative 5) I feel I gained insight and knowledge 6) Therefore the class was beneficial (2,3,4,5) 7) I feel classes I enjoy, help me master the material 8) The format

By Timingspace K

Nov 28, 2016

Useful and funny

By Klarck N

Sep 22, 2017

Es un buen curso para comenzar. Permite comprender lo básico de la argumentación: identificar marcadores, supuestos implícitos (que no son evidentes) y, en definitiva, a entender mejor las cosas.

By Miguel Á H

Aug 01, 2017

Hello everybody! This is a very useful course. It teachs you how to understand arguments and agree with them or refute them when are bad or poorly constructed. But it is not easy. You have to dedicate it enough time an effort for make the most of it.

By José A M d O

Dec 19, 2016

Simply the best online course I've taken!

By Anthony T

Aug 23, 2016

Excellent and informative.

By Maksim N

Dec 25, 2016

The decision to divide the original course into four distinctive courses is ingenious! I laud the way the information is presented and illustrated with many diverse examples. I find the professor to be very goofy in a positive way.

I recommend the course to anyone really, especially college students, undergrads to be more precise. I am a philosophy undergrad and I am already familiar with many of the topics, and most humanities students know a thing or two about logic, but students from other disciplines can benefit from this even more.

In dark times such as these, where the likes of Trump rule the world we would benefit more than ever from young people that would judge and rationalize more efficiently!

By 刘颂康

Aug 27, 2017

Well, this course is a good start for everyone who wants to study critical thinking!

By Brice B

Feb 06, 2017

Great course, well-structured, clear and fun. One little reservation: introducing arguments by saying what they are not may make it difficult for students to understand the distinction between arguments as such and the various functions they can have (a topics which is covered later in the course.)

By Vangelis N V

Feb 04, 2017

Top Class

By Caiqiu Z

Oct 23, 2016

A systematic course on how to understand arguments!

By Josef T

Apr 27, 2017

An excellent introduction to the valuable skill of understanding arguments. The lectures are entertaining and provide a welcoming style for learners of all backgrounds. The content is not light but is well-structured and the pacing is generous - one hour a day of study should more than suffice. I thank the creators for an edifying and enjoyable experience.

By James G

Sep 27, 2016

Much harder than I anticipated and some of the concepts were difficult for me to grasp. However, I think it just takes practice! Interesting and in depth look at how arguments are formed and work. Thanks!

By 赵晨

Oct 05, 2016

great

By Ilya K

Jan 22, 2017

Thank you very much for this course. It helps to understand more clearly the arguments and to be more wise in the art of disputes.

By Terri

Jun 25, 2018

Great course! The instructor is SO engaging!

By Ben W

Sep 18, 2017

Fantastic! Thank you so much for putting this course together. I had a lot of fun going through the lectures and doing the discussions and quizzes. I feel very inspired to further my to continue developing my reasoning and critical thinking skills.

By 刘子仟

Dec 21, 2016

A great logic course for beginers.

By Maxiaoyan

Jul 31, 2017

my favorite course, very inspiring and clearly

By HARSH P

Apr 10, 2018

This course was awesome. It is short and sweet , and you learn a lot about arguments and how to evaluate them.

By Iona F

Feb 07, 2018

This was a most excellent course on how to understand and conclude an argument. it is beneficial in all fields of life

By John F v A J

May 29, 2017

A very good course. It introduced me to a new way to understand words.

By Therese R

Jun 27, 2017

Fun, informative, and a great learning experience!

By Amy ( Q

Mar 04, 2018

Great, quizs while learning helps to understand bette^_^ And the teacher is humourous.

Thanks to Dr. Walter and thousands of likes for Coursera.