Back to Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments by Duke University

In this course, you will learn what an argument is. The definition of argument will enable you to identify when speakers are giving arguments and when they are not. Next, you will learn how to break an argument into its essential parts, how to put them in order to reveal their connections, and how to fill in gaps in an argument by adding suppressed premises. By the end of this course, you will be better able to understand and appreciate arguments that you and other people present. Suggested Readings: Students who want more detailed explanations or additional exercises or who want to explore these topics in more depth should consult Understanding Arguments: An Introduction to Informal Logic, Ninth Edition, Concise, Chapters 1-5, by Walter Sinnott-Armstrong and Robert Fogelin. Course Format: Each week will be divided into multiple video segments that can be viewed separately or in groups. There will be short ungraded quizzes after each segment (to check comprehension) and a longer graded quiz at the end of the course....

SM

Jun 11, 2020

I found this course very challenging as I find critical thinking very difficult. However this course was extremely rewarding and I will be taking the other three modules in the Think Again series.

FY

Jul 06, 2018

51 - 75 of 608 Reviews for Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments

By Ramasuwame M

Jun 19, 2020

Helped me learn the otherwise impossible subject . The explanations to the quizes at the end of each lesson were very educative and made me understand the lesson better. Nudged me to continue and complete the course in a simple and careful way. I should have done this course when I was working in a Bid Management Team in a IT company 10 years back. I am able to do this at the age of 65 is sufficient proof of the efficiency of Coursera, the subject, and the masters. Thanks a lot to all of you.

M.Ramasuwame, Chennai, India.

By Gladis I P D

Jul 23, 2017

Not to dominate the language was a little confusing to understand the subjects, as they are guarding and standard term, for that reason the test I realized them to understand better the subjects, since it has been very useful for me that many points had the written answer. I am aware that I must review each lesson. Obviously has been much knowledge captured, I now have more bases and clarity to be more assertive in understanding what comes to me and what I transmit. Thanks very much teacher Waltter Sinnott

By Hazrat A

Jul 01, 2020

This course is for them who are very particular when they say something or they literally understand what they are saying. Say you want to analyse why someone told that sentence, what did he/she mean when uttered that words, why said "she may" meet and not "she will" meet etc. In simple you can break any sentence said to you, to know what was he/she thinking when said that sentence. It needs focus and determination and patience the most BUT it is worth it. :)

By LoLa

Mar 10, 2018

This course does help me a lot in the logical way of thinking, understanding and reasoning. Especially with the reconstruction of an argument, by providing three methods of organizing an argument, It not only helps me to understand arguments better, but also help me express my ideas and opinions explicitly. This course blows me away with the amazing examples, especially the professor is so so adorable and humorous. Thank you so much Dr. Armstrong!

By Deepak S

Jun 17, 2019

The course was awesome. I never knew we can look at discussions and conversations from this kind of a perspective which is not only scientific but also beautifully mesmerizing. The way it was taught by Prof. Sinnott-Armstrong was simply amazing. He has a simple lucid style which is not only friendly and articulate but also entertaining at the same time allowing me to love the course even more. Thank you so much!!

By Santiago M

Oct 27, 2016

I think the professor is clear an concise (I know, the word "clear" is not easy to define). The content is very interesting, and definitely relevant. It might be so that I won't use EVERYTHING I learned here in my daily life, but I definitely have tools to provide better arguments, and debate other people's arguments.

Some parts of the course are heavy, but with a little bit of effort and dedication, one can follow.

By Jeanette L

Sep 05, 2020

I am a retired 76 year young lady living in Melbourne Australia. Due to circumstances at the time I left school at 15. I returned to study in my early 40`s to do an applied science course in Remedial Massage. Now retired after 30 years,

I enjoyed Think Again 1 as it made me stretch my brain in a new way even though I found it quite difficult in certain areas. Hopefully my powers of reasoning have increased.

By Marcos F H

Apr 29, 2017

Excellent course! The education didactics is really well organized and easy to follow through even for a nonenglish native as myself. At the same time is gradually challenging. I'm really grateful to Professor Dr. Walter Sinnott-Armstrong for sharing his amazing knowledge with such passion. I believe that this course will influence my life in a long therm basis and I look forward to beginning part II.

By Tainá A

This course was definitively a positive surprising to me. I feel more capable of organizing my thoughts and making an argument. Also, it may be also useful when it comes to analyzing other people's argument. Therefore, this is a course that can come in hand in our daily life. The professor is also very good and made learning a lot easier. I'm looking forward to completing the other three courses!

By Tan M L

Apr 24, 2020

I will definitely recommend all to take up this 4 volume courses where one not only understand the structure of arguments explain by the lecturer in an interesting and lively manner. Over and above, this help us to be more alert in our day to day communication with others and not falling into unnecessary bad arguments with others. I am looking forward to subsequent 3 volume. Keep going !

By Priti S

Oct 28, 2020

Being able to reason and understand arguments is a very important skill for everyone but is sadly neglected as part of our curriculum.I came across this wonderful course which was not only informative but fun with such instructors and it is one of the best courses offered on this platform.Strongly recommended for everyone who wants to understand and be understood by others .

By Scott K

Jun 20, 2020

This was not an easy course; it required a lot of thinking and taking time to really understand what was being taught. But, the professor presented the material in an enjoyable way, and the quiz questions were beneficially in helping me to make sure that I understood the concepts being taught. I look forward to taking the next three courses associated with "Think Again."

By Josef T

Apr 27, 2017

An excellent introduction to the valuable skill of understanding arguments. The lectures are entertaining and provide a welcoming style for learners of all backgrounds. The content is not light but is well-structured and the pacing is generous - one hour a day of study should more than suffice. I thank the creators for an edifying and enjoyable experience.

By Carla L R

Jun 15, 2020

Outstanding course in its entirety from beginning to end. The quizzes are challenging and dynamic; the extra material is very useful and clarifying and the video lectures with the Professor are priceless. He is very pedagogical and fun to learn from. Hats off! Highly recommended. Now, on track to keep up with the other three courses in this Program! :)

By Shakeel R K

Jul 07, 2020

One of the most interesting course I have been through. Dr. Walter Sinnott-Armstrong, take a bow Sir! He makes it look so easy and enjoys alongside the student. The course seems easy but once you go through the whole course you will realise how much of it you weren't aware of to begin with. Really looking forward to the other courses in this series.

By Teresa M

Apr 18, 2017

English is my second language, sometimes is not easy to understand "arguments", since the introduction of this course I understand different ways to clarify points of view without arguing or fighting. It was easy, fun and it makes me feel more confident when I talk to others and when they explain me some important things about many concerns. Thanks!

By Lovina N

This course helped me understand more about the human interaction and how language plays its part in it. It was taught and explained exceptionally! As a humanities student looking forward to studying linguistics, I feel my interest has increased significantly in the subject. Will definitely take the other courses from Think Again series.

By Lucas F d C M

Feb 09, 2019

The professor is very clear and objective. The lessons are well explored and the examples help a lot. The little quizzes after the lectures are good tool to measure your learning. The humor the professor brings helps to keep lectures fun. I thank you the professor, Duke University and Coursera for providing this course.

Sincerely,

Lucas.

By Luis E C C

Apr 12, 2020

It was a really great course. Sometimes we take things for granted and we do not stop for a second to analyze our environment. By taking this course I learn to identify how people argue and how they're doing it. Also now I can choose to have an argument with someone else.

This course gave the tools to identify valid arguments.

By Gary D P

Dec 21, 2017

Bloody marvelous. Took me a while to get into the swing of things. But the presentation and subject matter covered, completely mind-blowing. Who would have thought that a middle aged man from England would be out defined by the presenter. Well played and I salute you. Even if your mother was French and smelt of elderberry's.

By Vishwas B

Jun 07, 2018

Its a very good course to understand the importance of arguments and how to organize your thoughts to make good arguments.I also learnt to understand what is an argument and what is not so basically it cleared my preconceptions.The professor is very good and funny.He teaches interestingly.I'll recommend this course to you.

By Guilherme O M

Dec 29, 2017

i've already finished the course,and I recommend to all the people persist and stay focused until it's over, it's worth it.

I'm from Brazil and I'm still in High School,so this part of this course will be very important to me.

I've enjoyed so much and thanks to all the great teachers who have built this course. See you! :)

By Esila A

Jun 27, 2020

I learned so valuable things that even I can use those new pieces of knowledge to get ready for my upcoming SAT exam! Thanks for everything, I had so much fun! Btw, I'm interested in debate, so I'll use the new things I just learned through this course in my debate club. Hopefully, see you next lecture for this course!

By Vidya S

Sep 25, 2020

Very good course and very humorous professor! Every day we are facing so many propaganda and misleading news from media, if you do not know how to draw valid and sound argument and make good reasoning, it will be easy for you to be misled. Taking this course helps you to distinguish good arguments from the bad ones.

By David W

Dec 04, 2016

I devoured this course -- Walter's presentations and examples work for me. And I loved the multi-layered tie-dye look for that one lecture about halfway through! But seriously: being able to break an argument down, understand how it is constructed, and assess its validity and soundness are all really important.