Back to Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments by Duke University

In this course, you will learn what an argument is. The definition of argument will enable you to identify when speakers are giving arguments and when they are not. Next, you will learn how to break an argument into its essential parts, how to put them in order to reveal their connections, and how to fill in gaps in an argument by adding suppressed premises. By the end of this course, you will be better able to understand and appreciate arguments that you and other people present. Suggested Readings: Students who want more detailed explanations or additional exercises or who want to explore these topics in more depth should consult Understanding Arguments: An Introduction to Informal Logic, Ninth Edition, Concise, Chapters 1-5, by Walter Sinnott-Armstrong and Robert Fogelin. Course Format: Each week will be divided into multiple video segments that can be viewed separately or in groups. There will be short ungraded quizzes after each segment (to check comprehension) and a longer graded quiz at the end of the course....

SM
Jun 10, 2020

I found this course very challenging as I find critical thinking very difficult. However this course was extremely rewarding and I will be taking the other three modules in the Think Again series.

FY
Jul 5, 2018

126 - 150 of 657 Reviews for Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments

By Aneeta J

I loved this course! It was challenging but that meant that you really needed to focus on the context and dissecting of the arguments presented. Week 3 was where it all came together. The Professor explained the content well.

By Dagny B

May 23, 2020

very thorough, parts of this were familiar from studying Aristotle in college, but a lot was new (some of the terms and ways of organizing arguments.) I liked all the examples and opportunities to practice with actual texts.

By Revathi G

Dec 24, 2020

This course is very nice for a beginner. The professor tries to keep the lessons and discussions fun and engaging.

I am from a technical field. I took this course out of curiosity, yet I had real fun learning the concepts.

By Prateek M

Oct 24, 2020

This is the most fun I have had in a class in a long long time !! This course affects the perspective of how we look at an argument or a simple conversation. Thanks to the professor for making this course so enjoyable...

By Michelle G M

Mar 31, 2020

This course gives an excellent introductory course in dealing and making arguments. It induces a good deal of critical thinking to the learner. Additionally, this course has many practical applications that one may use.

By Álvaro A N

Nov 15, 2018

Excellent, totally recommended! With its simplicity and charm shows a new way to see and understand arguments. Thanks a lot for putting this wonderful course together, I will sure recommend it to my friends and family.

By Zahida M

Jul 31, 2017

Amazing module. Thank you professor you really made it smooth and easy going for us. Your lively and simple approach has helped me gain the much required confidence to further sign up for many more courses on coursera.

By Prita K

The course is packed with information and examples that are easy to follow, and the sudden question in the middle of the video gives us almost the same experiment in a real class, which I think is a really good idea!

By Haider K

Aug 6, 2020

The course offers an exceptional understanding of the basics of the science of argumentation. I enjoyed the professor's enthusiasm for teaching and his little jokes to keep the environment of the videos fun.

By James G

Sep 27, 2016

Much harder than I anticipated and some of the concepts were difficult for me to grasp. However, I think it just takes practice! Interesting and in depth look at how arguments are formed and work. Thanks!

By Phyllis L W

May 12, 2020

This course expands your understanding of argument formation and structure. It goes beyond basis and intricately expolates reasoning behind persuasion and justification of scientific knowledge exploration.

By Vianey A E R

Nov 8, 2020

Not only was it really interesting, it was also a really fun course. I recommend that if anyone has a chance, they should take it. I learned a lot and I'm glad I had the chance to learn from the professor.

By Amrit K

At first I thought why do I have to know about linguistics and argument markers and all. But at the end, I realized how much understanding an argument helps in simplifying and understanding it. Thank you!

By Esen D

Sep 30, 2016

This course's been a fantastic journey in informal logic and critical thinking. The lectures are very interesting and Walter Sinnott-Armstrong is a fantastic teacher. Thank you very much for this course

By KLARCK N

Sep 22, 2017

Es un buen curso para comenzar. Permite comprender lo básico de la argumentación: identificar marcadores, supuestos implícitos (que no son evidentes) y, en definitiva, a entender mejor las cosas.

By Guilherme G V

Jul 23, 2020

I would like to give a special thanks to Professor Walter Sinnott-Armstrong for his incredible teaching and charisma. He is awsome. And thanks to Coursera for making this course available.

By Amelia T P

This course is very enjoyable. The instructor is engaging and have a sense of humor. The lessons and examples given here are clear even for myself which English isn't my native language.

By Librada M D v

Feb 23, 2018

Realmente fascinante, encantada con la coherencia e impresión de cotidianidad que le ponene a esto. Las preguntas exigen comprensión real del contenido y su aplicación a la realidad.

By Nikos K

Dec 13, 2020

Excellent Course! Loved it from the first moment. It was actually very interesting and the way you can understand someone's words from now on, is something you just can't overlook

By Milecia M

Oct 12, 2016

This course goes super in depth on how arguments work. I learned things in this course that'd I'd never heard of before and it gave me a more critical view on how people say things.

By Pavel P

Jul 8, 2019

An extraordinary course that would help to make the right decisions, convey your thoughts to others and thinking in a structured and organized way. Highly recommended for everyone!

By Richard P F

Mar 4, 2019

The course gives a clear technical insights with regard to analysis of arguments which will help in better understanding it thereby promoting learning also on how to construct one.

By Karime E P G

Feb 19, 2018

I took it a while back before it was divided and did not pass, so now Im happy that it is divided, 1) to see if I understand better this time 2) to show that i did learn something.

By Steve M

Jan 31, 2021

I really enjoyed this course. The instruction is top notch. Recommend getting the text book - the additional exercises in it give you the practice needed to master the subject.

By Orlando M

Feb 2, 2017

Este curso me ha ayudado mucho en mi vida personal y profesional. Gracias a todos los responsable de la preparación de este valioso material didáctico.

Saludos,