Back to Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments by Duke University

In this course, you will learn what an argument is. The definition of argument will enable you to identify when speakers are giving arguments and when they are not. Next, you will learn how to break an argument into its essential parts, how to put them in order to reveal their connections, and how to fill in gaps in an argument by adding suppressed premises. By the end of this course, you will be better able to understand and appreciate arguments that you and other people present. Suggested Readings: Students who want more detailed explanations or additional exercises or who want to explore these topics in more depth should consult Understanding Arguments: An Introduction to Informal Logic, Ninth Edition, Concise, Chapters 1-5, by Walter Sinnott-Armstrong and Robert Fogelin. Course Format: Each week will be divided into multiple video segments that can be viewed separately or in groups. There will be short ungraded quizzes after each segment (to check comprehension) and a longer graded quiz at the end of the course....

FY
Jul 5, 2018

I found this course very challenging as I find critical thinking very difficult. However this course was extremely rewarding and I will be taking the other three modules in the Think Again series.

SM
Jun 10, 2020

201 - 225 of 677 Reviews for Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments

By Luis A

Jan 14, 2018

This course was very clear for me, it gives a lot of examples and it gives very good explanations for the correct choices in the quizzes.

By Victoria M M

Jul 3, 2020

It was a great experience! It was not heavy with materials but it really makes you to renew and refresh your way of thinking critically.

By NARASIMHAN V

Jun 12, 2020

YOU ARE SUCH A TALENTED GUY WITH SOME FUNNY SKILLS.HOPE PASS MY WISHES TO ALL THOSE TOOK EFFORT IN MAKING SUCH A WONDERFUL COURSE SIR!!!

By Semanur G

Sep 28, 2020

It has been a very useful lesson in developing my skills to make valid and sound arguments, to think critically and to analyze. Thanks.

By Hrom T

I liked this course so much! It was interesting and fun! The professor explained everything very clearly and in an understandable way.

By YL Z

Jun 28, 2018

This is an interesting , easy-to-understand and useful course to understand arguments, and to put thinking into a rational perspective.

By Muhammad F Y P

Oct 23, 2020

The perfect class for those who are interested in learning how to give better arguments, and avoid being deceived by bad arguments.

By Cristiano C L

Oct 30, 2018

I'm very grateful to have done this excellent course. It should be part of the learning at schools. Congratulations and thank you.

By Ilya K

Jan 22, 2017

Thank you very much for this course. It helps to understand more clearly the arguments and to be more wise in the art of disputes.

By Valentina R

May 5, 2019

A very interesting and challenging course, in my opinion the material was well structured and understandable. Strongly recommend

By Carlo P

Aug 24, 2019

I appreciated Very much this course, because it allow me to understand better and in a critical way what someone said or write

By Ibrahim N

Jun 25, 2020

This course really teaches you how to think. It will open up a whole new world of argumentation for you. Totally worth of it,

By Gustavo A L

Oct 30, 2020

The course is so important and interesting for those that want to build good arguments. Definitely, I recommend this course.

By Basma G

Jul 19, 2017

This course is what I consider a life changing knowledge experience. It's practical, clear, very informative and still fun !

By Carol G

Dr. Sinnott-Armstrong's pleasing demeanor, sense of humor, and simplified examples kept me intrigued throughout the course.

By GURINDER K

Apr 5, 2020

Finally I have completed my course. It was very challenging and demands full concentration but totally worth-full.Thank you

By Paul O F

Oct 27, 2018

It´s a great course. The professor is a great teacher (in the sense of teaching others) and the content is very practical.

By Renato A D

Apr 8, 2018

Very well structured course. Learn a lot. Just last week (reconstruction examples) are a bit confusing and hard to follow.

By Raj G

Dec 22, 2016

It changed my thinking and behavior totally. It's a must learn for everyone from my side to the one who seeks knowledge.

By Jack R

Amazing course to help you get started with understanding arguments, reasoning and helping to understand people better.

By Iona F

Feb 7, 2018

This was a most excellent course on how to understand and conclude an argument. it is beneficial in all fields of life

By Mark E A A

Jun 19, 2020

I love how this course was presented with so much enthusiasm by the instructors. The assessments are very challenging!

By Anastasia G

Dec 17, 2016

The course was really useful! And I would also like to outline the charismatic teacher who inspired to learn smth new!