Back to Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments by Duke University

In this course, you will learn what an argument is. The definition of argument will enable you to identify when speakers are giving arguments and when they are not. Next, you will learn how to break an argument into its essential parts, how to put them in order to reveal their connections, and how to fill in gaps in an argument by adding suppressed premises. By the end of this course, you will be better able to understand and appreciate arguments that you and other people present. Suggested Readings: Students who want more detailed explanations or additional exercises or who want to explore these topics in more depth should consult Understanding Arguments: An Introduction to Informal Logic, Ninth Edition, Concise, Chapters 1-5, by Walter Sinnott-Armstrong and Robert Fogelin. Course Format: Each week will be divided into multiple video segments that can be viewed separately or in groups. There will be short ungraded quizzes after each segment (to check comprehension) and a longer graded quiz at the end of the course....

SM
Jun 10, 2020

I found this course very challenging as I find critical thinking very difficult. However this course was extremely rewarding and I will be taking the other three modules in the Think Again series.

FY
Jul 5, 2018

176 - 200 of 625 Reviews for Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments

By Heinz H

Oct 1, 2019

I like the concept and the profound analysis of language and speech very much. I have just glanced over the course so far, but I want to finish it.

By Amy ( Q

Mar 3, 2018

Great, quizs while learning helps to understand bette^_^ And the teacher is humourous.

Thanks to Dr. Walter and thousands of likes for Coursera.

By Henault A

Sep 18, 2019

Very interesting curse, because in my technological carrier nobody give me the reflexe to thinking about arguments and how to use it to progress

By JoAnn A

Apr 10, 2017

Although I had some background "noise" that made this course challenging, it was a good learning experience! The professors made it interesting.

By Mary A

Sep 20, 2017

It is a great course. The instructor is excellent , he tries his best to make it easy and fun though the subject is not easy . Thank you all

By Juan S P S

Aug 10, 2020

This course was intriguing, interesting and enlighting! I strongly recommed everyone who is in fond of linguistics and philosophy to take it.

By Phoebe D

Nov 19, 2020

This course is fantastic, now I know more about arguments and how to identify whether an argument is valid or invalid, good or bad. Thanks.

By Josef P

Mar 27, 2020

Great Professor Sinnott-Armstrong, thorough and comprehensible explanation, interesting examples (R. Redford, but especially Monty Python).

By Yiye D

Mar 13, 2017

This course is awesome! I really appreciate the time and effort devoted to make this course such a great introduction to critical thinking!

By Stephen K

Jun 15, 2020

The course was easily digestible and engaging. I would highly recommend it to anyone wanting to hone their logic and argumentation skills.

By Matthew K

May 15, 2017

I very much appreciated the material collected and presented for this first in the Think Again series. The course was quite enjoyable too.

By Luis A

Jan 14, 2018

This course was very clear for me, it gives a lot of examples and it gives very good explanations for the correct choices in the quizzes.

By Victoria M M

Jul 3, 2020

It was a great experience! It was not heavy with materials but it really makes you to renew and refresh your way of thinking critically.

By NARASIMHAN V

Jun 12, 2020

YOU ARE SUCH A TALENTED GUY WITH SOME FUNNY SKILLS.HOPE PASS MY WISHES TO ALL THOSE TOOK EFFORT IN MAKING SUCH A WONDERFUL COURSE SIR!!!

By Semanur G

Sep 28, 2020

It has been a very useful lesson in developing my skills to make valid and sound arguments, to think critically and to analyze. Thanks.

By Hrom T

I liked this course so much! It was interesting and fun! The professor explained everything very clearly and in an understandable way.

By YL Z

Jun 28, 2018

This is an interesting , easy-to-understand and useful course to understand arguments, and to put thinking into a rational perspective.

By Muhammad F Y P

Oct 23, 2020

The perfect class for those who are interested in learning how to give better arguments, and avoid being deceived by bad arguments.

By Cristiano C L

Oct 30, 2018

I'm very grateful to have done this excellent course. It should be part of the learning at schools. Congratulations and thank you.

By Ilya K

Jan 22, 2017

Thank you very much for this course. It helps to understand more clearly the arguments and to be more wise in the art of disputes.

By Valentina R

May 5, 2019

A very interesting and challenging course, in my opinion the material was well structured and understandable. Strongly recommend

By Carlo P

Aug 24, 2019

I appreciated Very much this course, because it allow me to understand better and in a critical way what someone said or write

By Ibrahim N

Jun 25, 2020

This course really teaches you how to think. It will open up a whole new world of argumentation for you. Totally worth of it,