Back to Understanding China, 1700-2000: A Data Analytic Approach, Part 1

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding China, 1700-2000: A Data Analytic Approach, Part 1 by The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology

The purpose of this course is to summarize new directions in Chinese history and social science produced by the creation and analysis of big historical datasets based on newly opened Chinese archival holdings, and to organize this knowledge in a framework that encourages learning about China in comparative perspective. Our course demonstrates how a new scholarship of discovery is redefining what is singular about modern China and modern Chinese history. Current understandings of human history and social theory are based largely on Western experience or on non-Western experience seen through a Western lens. This course offers alternative perspectives derived from Chinese experience over the last three centuries. We present specific case studies of this new scholarship of discovery divided into two stand-alone parts, which means that students can take any part without prior or subsequent attendance of the other part. Part 1 (this course) focuses on comparative inequality and opportunity and addresses two related questions ‘Who rises to the top?’ and ‘Who gets what?’. Part 2 (https://www.coursera.org/learn/understanding-china-history-part-2) turns to an arguably even more important question ‘Who are we?’ as seen through the framework of comparative population behavior - mortality, marriage, and reproduction – and their interaction with economic conditions and human values. We do so because mortality and reproduction are fundamental and universal, because they differ historically just as radically between China and the West as patterns of inequality and opportunity, and because these differences demonstrate the mutability of human behavior and values. Course Overview video: https://youtu.be/dzUPRyJ4ETk...

AA
May 24, 2017

I loved the course. It gave me a totally different view of pre-revolution China. Even though I am not into\n\nquantitative data, I still learned from the conclusions and interpretations of the data.

RH
Nov 11, 2020

This course was very informative and engaging. The questions were a great way to check understanding. I can't wait for Part 2!

1 - 22 of 22 Reviews for Understanding China, 1700-2000: A Data Analytic Approach, Part 1

By Jialin B

May 23, 2018

Brilliant course. High quality information, comprehensive sources and interesting tests. Part 1 puts the revolution in a new perspective and connects imperial China with contemporary China. The course also throws a light on equality vs inequality globally and in China. The course is controversial in that it reflects duly and appropriately the complexity of Chinese social history and its development as opposed to the black-and-white view on China which still persists in the West. I also liked the very down-to-earth approach of Prof Lee.

By JOHN Q

Nov 20, 2017

I enjoyed this course tremendously, and discovered that there was a vast amount of information that I needed to learn about this SuperPower. China is an amazing country with an enormous population and economy, a history of remarkable achievement, and yet still unknown in many ways. Thanks for putting this course together.

By Phuong N

Jul 25, 2020

Assumptions or discourses of social diversity, wealth distribution/inequality were examined in a multi-faceted manner. Appropriate coverage of social theories as background for the discussions, which made it very interesting for a natural science student like me. Nice course! I'm very happy I took it.

By Toni H

Aug 8, 2020

This is a very short but informative course comparing the wealth distribution between China and the United States / UK throughout times of history. It features history but also data analysis looking at education levels influenced social mobility in society. Eyeopening course.

By Asir A

May 25, 2017

By Roxanne H

Nov 12, 2020

By Bhoomi A

Sep 18, 2020

Very relevant and precise information, videos were also very engaging. I am definitely doing the second part of this course.

By Matt M

Oct 19, 2017

Informative, relevant, and unique. The focus on recent discoveries unearthed through original research is refreshing.

By Qierag

Apr 12, 2020

A very in-depth introduction to Chinese society. This learning experience is very valuable. Thanks a lot.

By Joy S

Dec 29, 2018

The truth about China. This is fact, by evidence, by statistics. Very good to know.

By Sara T

Oct 25, 2017

Well presented material, new and surprising insights. Rewarding experience.

By Marcos O

Nov 1, 2020

Excellent to know a little about this great nation, culture and philosophy

By Sathyajith M 1

Jul 14, 2020

This is the best course on Chinese history I've attended..

By Médéric D

Jan 17, 2018

Very interesting, I would recommend this course.

By Nhat L

Sep 26, 2017

It is a very short and concise course.

By Keawalin S

Jul 10, 2020

totally useful! love it!

By lichuangye

Apr 4, 2017

good

By Yasmin C

Jul 6, 2018

A little bit slow at first, amazing for people who just want to have some contact with the history and culture of china!

By Fabian F

Jul 24, 2017

I liked the data-driven, very analytic approach to understand Chines history better. Thank you for a great course.

By ERIC N J V

Aug 19, 2020

The video lessons were kind of long

By Gabriel M R L

Aug 13, 2018

Very good

By Jonathan G

Feb 27, 2018

This course was boring as hell.