Back to Understanding Financial Markets

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Financial Markets by University of Geneva

In this course, you will learn what the main financial markets and their characteristics are as well as how they are linked to the economy. Our very diversified team of experts will start by teaching you how the price of stocks and bonds are computed and why they move while you will become increasingly aware of the notion of risk and why it matters when measuring an investment's performance. The focus will then move to less popular markets such as gold, emerging markets, real estate, hedge funds and private markets. These will be analyzed with an emphasis on their particular risks and return opportunities as well as how they can help in building efficient portfolios. Finally, the policies of central banks and their impact on financial markets will be presented to you along with the link between the economy and the price of financial assets. All along these different steps, experts from UBS, our corporate partner, will show you how the concepts you just acquired are effectively applied in a leading global bank. This focus on practicality means you will not only understand what is going on in global financial markets but also start to figure out how you can use them to achieve financial goals, be it a client's or your own. Course Director and main teaching contributor: Dr. Michel Girardin, Lecturer in Macro-Finance, University of Geneva...

MC

Jul 17, 2017

Mr. Michel is really an amazing teacher! His lectures are vivic and greatly attracts my attention. I hope to take more of his classes because I've Learned more than I nomally can do in a short class

SA

Feb 01, 2020

All the instructors were very knowledgeable and used lots of real life examples to explain the theory. They were also kind of funny and turned a "stiff" topic into a lively and fascinating story.

426 - 450 of 551 Reviews for Understanding Financial Markets

By Mohamed K I A E

Jul 01, 2016

This course helped me a lot to better understand the financial markets , and the different assets in which we can invest. The presentation was simple and clear in most of the modules. Maybe more examples and detailed description needed in company evaluation especially for students with moderate mathematical background. The module of Bonds needs -in my opinion - reconstruction so that we can read and understand the changes in Bonds' prices we find in the economical websites and newspapers. Anyway, the course is motivating to know more & extend our knowledge. Thanks a lot to all the professors and lecturers who prepared that course. Special thanks to Dr. Michelle and Dr. Ines for their attractive and simple approach. I recommend this course to all interested in investment management either for themselves or for professional purposes.

By Steve A

Mar 06, 2016

Generally this is a good course. It has a good bit of definitions about markets. As an individual investor I picked up some information on Net Present Value pricing of stock. Now that the courses are not free we have to determine does the cost provide the value for me. I think of the specializations as being one semester of schooling. A general semester last 16 weeks and thus one specialization last 4 months with a capstone project, so about 20 weeks. Total cost of the specialization is roughly equivalent to one semester class at most Colleges. The advantage to the current layout of learning is that it puts the information into a structured timeline. This places time limits on the info which has a tendency to keep me moving toward the goal.

By Mohamad Y

Mar 02, 2018

The videos of UBS Lecturers aren't that beneficial. Professor Ines wasn't that beneficial and she didn't deliver her concepts in a simple way. I liked Mr. Michel and his way of delivering his ideas. I liked the graphs and the correlations from the inverted time scale on the right.I liked the big mac PPP and the visual aids he used.Finally the last part of module 4 had too many information that can be delivered better by giving a quiz about it and to give time for each topic separately.

I enjoyed this course so much and I would recommend it for my friends

By Vishesh V

Mar 29, 2017

Course content has been very well designed to encompass all the major asset classes and impact of macro economic variables. While all of the topics covered deserve an individual course on itself, but this being a short-term online course, does great justice to the time and fee commitment from students.

I would strongly recommend this course to others.

Thanks to coursera for designing this course and the respected faculty members for their time and sharing insights into these topics with us.

By Yevgen M

Mar 10, 2016

First of all, many many thanks for creating such a course and to all Mentors taking time to teach.

I wish, however that in some cases the Mentors would slow down and talk in a more comprehensible manner. Especially Guest Lecturers, as sometimes american accent is difficult enough to understand even when talking slowly let alone when going fast.

Special thanks to Professor Michel Girardin and Philip Valta for your invaluable and in-depth input.

Regards

Yevgeny Myronov

By BHARATH M B

Sep 13, 2016

plain and simple(course content)! I found assignments were very simple , wish increasing in level of difficulty.Modules for reading should be made compulsory.I completed this course in three days.why the hell it needs 4 weeks?There should be serious look at assignments as they are the core part and key measure of understanding and passing should be in terms of questions not percent and there should be increase in number of questions.

By Rohini B

Jul 16, 2018

The program is very good and I feel I am learning a lot but it assumes I know how to work with the mathematical formula's but I haven't done any derivative work for over 20 years and thus I would like the course to have a little addition bit to make sure these mathematical formula are explained and exercises given to help really learn them. I found the bearish and bullish curve very difficult to understand.

By Cindy M

Aug 06, 2017

I had been a bit leery of taking this course because I feared a language barrier, but all of the instructors so far have spoken English very clearly. The information is well presented, although I sometimes find the graphs with the inverted scale on the right hand side confusing at first. I would recommend this class to others who are interested in getting the basics of how financial markets work.

By Krista T

May 02, 2018

Concise and fairly simple introduction (or review, if you are familiar with the topics) into financial markets. Establishes macroeconomy - financial markets linkages well. Background knowledge of topics is useful in understanding issues such as inflation and interest rates. Not mathematically heavy, but good content for a short course such as this one.

By CARLOS J G C

Mar 11, 2018

I really liked this course, I could understand the stock and bond markets, how the interest rate can affect the economc growth and inflation. In the same way, I learned how to value firms, equities and bonds. I'm ready to take up the next course from Investment Management Specialization. I highly recommend this program.

By Maria K

Aug 19, 2016

It's very informative course, though it suggests that a person who signed up for this possesses/ should possess some basic knowledge in finance. So it takes time to actually understand understanding financial markets. All the rest, it's quite interesting course and rather simple and real-life examples

By Kunal N

Apr 17, 2017

I have been looking to get into finance for a long time now but couldnt find something as flexible as this course. The concepts taught here are very simplified and are easy to understand. Overall it has been very fruitful and i am looking forward to complete the specialization.

By Hari K K

Jul 22, 2018

It was said to be the basic foundation knowledge for the financial markets. But I guess person without prior knowledge of Finance will face lots of difficulty to understand the course. Even the first module of this specialization was harder for a business student like me too.

By Edgars T

Nov 17, 2016

General knowledge of bond and equity market and its impact by macro economic aspects.

East to see that professors are not native English speakers, but was ok.

Some lessons, performed by certain professors wear significantly less enjoyable, due to their performance.

By Joelle C S

Aug 05, 2017

Very interesting introductory course with some extremely valuable information for anyone jumping into the subject for the first time. My only negative comment would be that certain instructors are quite difficult to understand due to their heavy accents.

By Beatriz M F

Nov 08, 2018

The main lecturer was incredibly good, explained everything in a way that was easy to understand. Some of the other speakers were not as easy to understand. Well-structured course. The assignments could involve more case-studies/engaging activities.

By Jochen S

Oct 13, 2016

The course offered a good repetition of some major concepts and from time to time I also gained some new insights.

For 4 weeks only, however, 70 EUR is rather expensive compared to some other courses offered by Coursera.

By David H

Jan 04, 2018

Very good course in terms of materials and delivery. Good combination of academic content and commercial input. Assessments were generally good although I might quibble occasionally with some of the official answers.

By Ricardo M

May 28, 2017

Great information and knowledge but, since it is aimed to people with basic understanding of financial matters, I feel it has to have more detailed examples and cases (explained in a more detailed, step by step basis).

By Lars M

Oct 26, 2017

"Understanding financial markets" is a perfect description of what this course is about. If you have a basic knowledge about financial markets already, it may be somewhat easy. Still a perfect way to get started.

By Swanand K

Aug 02, 2018

I like the lectures delivered by "Michel Girardin", very thoughful & practical in nature. While some other lectures delivered by other faculty members seems to be more of reading the presentation points.

By Gonzalo C L

Mar 03, 2020

Me ha parecido muy interesante y aunque llevo años operando con valores, este curso me ha dado una visión más amplia acerca de otras opciones (bonos, activos...) y también de porqué pasan ciertas cosas.

By Shashank V M

Aug 18, 2019

Great course. However, some basics concepts were not explained and Michel should have taken examples and taught the concepts, rather than just teaching the theory with confusing graph diagrams.

By Joao p G d A

Jul 31, 2018

Very good course. It would be nice if the lecturer could present some numeric examples of the impact of prices with the change of interest rates considering the duration of the portfolio.

By Peter H

Jun 30, 2019

really good mix of videos, text and quiz. This course is easy to understand for beginners and well structured. Big compliment form my side. I am glad to have made this course!