Back to Understanding Obesity

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Obesity by The University of Edinburgh

In this course, we’ll look at the facts and misconceptions around obesity and discuss key physiological and psychological concepts around the brain’s control of appetite and body weight. We’ll consider the biological and environmental pressures that make it easy to gain weight (and hard to lose it!). Most importantly, we'll give you the opportunity to reflect on your own knowledge and assumptions around the subject. We deliver course materials as a mixture of videos, audio-only MOOCcasts, and a selection of short readings. There are short weekly quizzes, a peer-reviewed exercise, and discussion activities on the forum. These will help you prepare for the final project. In it, you are invited to demonstrate your evidence-informed understanding and express how you'll develop it beyond the course. The course features Citizen Science projects. We'll collect data from you (anonymously, of course) and use it to drive participant-led discussions of controversial ideas. In this way, we hope to explore ideas around diet and obesity. These projects also give a taste of how scientific evidence is collected and interpreted by scientists, and give some indication how much there still is to discover and understand....

MP

Apr 15, 2022

The course opens the door to a better understanding of obesity, through a simple but evidence-based explanation. It is highly recommended for anyone wishing to learn about obesity without bias.

DA

Apr 26, 2021

Enjoyed every minute of this learning experience. Appreciate the layout of the course, content, relevance to my work, and the global needs of the current day! Thank you.

101 - 125 of 136 Reviews for Understanding Obesity

Mar 23, 2022

good!!

By Belen

Jan 2, 2022

Good

By Mona A A

May 30, 2021

GOOD

By Marisa a T f

Jun 18, 2021

e

By Elsemarie V d W

Apr 28, 2020

Some interesting studies are mentioned, dispelling some common beliefs around obesity. I was hoping for more instructive conclusions that could be applied to assist in relieving obesity. I would like to receive a sporadic summary of truly useful action steps from the last assignment in the course when consolidated by the research team at the University of Edinburgh.

P.S.: item 2.3 seems to be missing from the structure of the course.

By Adhithya S

Apr 23, 2020

This course was well constructed, it took a conversational approach of discussing and explaining the concepts. I felt that the instructors could have tried to summarize every session. It would have been beneficial. Overall a good insight into obesity and weight related disorders.

By Ange R

Oct 1, 2017

Great for a podcast-type learning experience. I question some of the research results they mention, which is my only concern. Otherwise a great course and very educational! Corrects a lot of common misconceptions and does a good job of getting in-depth without being specialized.

By Helen B C

May 7, 2018

This course was really interesting, it covered a wide range of topics and supported assertions with evidence. It was quite quick and easy to complete, but I certainly learned new ways to tackle my own unhealthy eating habits. Thank you

By Monica

Aug 21, 2017

Updated introduction and understanding of this popular topic in health. Worth to take time to learn not only for health promoter but those want to help friends and family members on this.

By Valerie H

Aug 27, 2021

F​inally I have an opportunity to learn more about obesity, now I can understand it a bit more but this is a nice base. I hope in the future will have some other course for advance.

By Borbála B

Nov 2, 2017

It is a great course but I didn't was so happy when I could only listen. I prefer the videos, this is why I give only 4 stars. But it was really interesting, thanks a lot!

By Afonso J

Jan 10, 2018

Great experience

This was great experience, with thouthful insight’s.

Looking forward for STEP 2 - Episode 2, “UNDERSTANDING OBESITY_Univ Edinburgh”…

By Rosario C d l G V

Aug 27, 2020

Course was great, but it was unfortunate many sections where blocked therefore,I took so long to complete it

By ahmed a

Mar 9, 2022

this course changed some of my prospectives related to obesity so.it is so benificial

By Kate B

Mar 7, 2019

Why wasn't the world's sedentary lifestyle not discussed as a cause of weight gain?

By Anna M

Jul 15, 2021

good layout and easy to follow and keep up to date on the course