Back to Design Thinking for Innovation

Today innovation is everyone's business. Whether you are a manager in a global corporation, an entrepreneur starting up, in a government role, or a teacher in an elementary school, everyone is expected to get lean – to do better with less. And that is why we all need design thinking. At every level in every kind of organization, design thinking provides the tools you need to become an innovative thinker and uncover creative opportunities that are there – you're just not seeing them yet. In this course, we provide an overview of design thinking and work with a model containing four key questions and several tools to help you understand design thinking as a problem solving approach. We also look at several stories from different organizations that used design thinking to uncover compelling solutions....

MV

Dec 01, 2016

As a design manager I should say this course actually opened my eyes to a new world. I hope be able to make good changes in my world by using this knowledge more and more in my life. Thanks to All :)

CA

Jun 17, 2017

great course , i am grateful to Coursera and everyone at Darden who helped develop this course.\n\ni really enjoyed the course. best wishes to all . keep up the great work!!!! God bless all of you!!!

1 - 25 of 821 Reviews for Design Thinking for Innovation

By Trevor W

Mar 13, 2016

Content is fairly good with weak story line and connection across the various modules. Also the lack of in session quiz modules or weekly quiz module to re-inforce learning is disappointing.

It's also possible that i was expecting a lot from a course on design thinking and what it turned out to be was just a scratching of the surface of what the definition of Design Thinking is all about. Having read numerous books on Lean Thinking, Agile development, Minimum Viable Propositions, etc. I was really expecting a solid rigorous approach to the world of design thinking.

This course let me down and I just managed to scrape through at the end...almost gave up.

By Julia H

May 06, 2019

One of the best courses I have ever made

By Ehia E

Apr 29, 2019

Excellent presentation of concepts with appropriate examples that drives home the learning. Very impressed!

By Hsin-Fang H

Apr 29, 2019

It is really useful and shapes my thinking in a more innovative way.

By Anjani T

Apr 22, 2019

Fantastic course! a lot of learning

By J B

Aug 25, 2018

WARNING : the presentation of the course should make it clear that you cannot complete the end of course assignment unless you already have some previous work experience using one of the design thinking tools introduced in the course.

Although I paid for it, I had no chance to get the certificate as I never used the tools introduced in the course. I wish the presentation of the course had clearly stated this requirement.

Upside : interesting and pleasant introduction to design thinking.

Downside : on top of the warning above, not all the slides used in the course are available for download.

By David M

Jul 02, 2018

The course gives an idea of what design thinking is, but the teacher just give 4 tools to use, and emphasize a lot that she wrote a book and that we should buy it - the book introduces 10 tools to use. Means the course is not complete, and is a way to sell the book. I already paid for the certification, I think it is unfair to ask the students to buy the book to get the complete information.

By Tomas

Mar 05, 2018

The idea of the course is good. But delivery have a lot of space for improvement. (Manage to finish only WEEK 1 and start WEEK 2)

First of all:

Design is about talking with pictures. WEEK 1 - Visualization lesson.

Lets look how this is implemented:

Try to listen WEEK 2 Physics of innovation - and follow visually(in your head) what Jeanne is talking (for 18 minutes) :).

Or

WEEK 1- "What is design thinking. Hear from the experts." The same issue.

The language is too much academic which makes it hard to follow visually.

The authors should analyze these videos and answer the question: "Does it work?"

Speak in front of +14-16 year old children for 20 minutes (without pictures) and see if the audience can follow it (translate every sentence into picture).

If this course is designed for academic world it is probably ok. But it is not ready for the mass majority of audience.

As Jeanne is saying in one of the video: fail fast, cheap and improve.

All the best improving this course.

By Sumit S

Dec 12, 2017

Great course for designers and entrepreneurs, as innovation is the requirement in today's world, course helps to enhance knowledge about innovation process and some tools used for Design thinking.

By Ushasree K

Feb 09, 2017

Design Thinking for Business innovation is a new concept to me, Its a wonderful insight on how to do innovation using tools and techniques of the DT course, Jeanne Liedtka is just great. thanks

By Guilherme D S

Jul 18, 2019

Congratulations. Excellent content and examples that makes it easier to understand and apply. Thanks.

By Roktim B

Jul 18, 2019

This course help me to way of thinking.Thank you Ma'am such a great course.

By Shilpi J

Jul 17, 2019

Good and engaging course with nice videos and assignment

By MARTINS I N

Jul 16, 2019

I am so thankful to have this opportunity! I have found the course very insightful , enriching and exciting!

By Venkata R

Jul 15, 2019

Excellent course

By yaser a m s a

Jul 14, 2019

it was memorable moments during this course

By Sandisiwe M

Jul 12, 2019

The course is very informative.

By Alberto G G

Jul 05, 2019

I enjoy the course. Not the final asignment, I would prefer a test of concepts, since I am not using design thinking jet and I dont have the political power in my organization to make a proposal and use it, so there is no challange I can adress jet to complete the course. However the explications of Liedtka were clear and well organized. Thanks!

By Omar A F

Jul 04, 2019

It´s a wonderful course, that everyone can ap

By Fran V

Jul 03, 2019

Loved this course. Clear, concise and logical. I am myself a designer and this process feels totally natural to me. I presented the Design Thinking concept to my team lead, who was also really keen to utilise it and follow it for our team's design process. Subsequently, we have got permission from our director to implement in our team, which is tasked with innovation within the company. Wins all round!!

By RABIN G

Jul 03, 2019

Awesome

By Krishna R S

Jul 02, 2019

This is a great course for getting started with Design Thinking.

By Rob K

Jul 01, 2019

It was a nice overview to Design Thinking, with 3 or 4 practical and diverse examples of application. The course used a consistent framework for reference throughout. I also enjoyed the different options for learning - from video lectures, different lecturers, reading materials and final assignment. To improve, the course could have been more challenging by asking more specific questions (in the assignment) that require deeper research and critical thinking (i'm not sure I deserve a certificate at the end, but will take it!). Overall positive experience.

By isabelle b

Jun 30, 2019

excellent for a beginner, very easy to follow, lots of example !

By nahla t m

Jun 28, 2019

it is amazing course

it educated me how make design thinking in my problem work.