Back to Digital Product Management: Modern Fundamentals

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Digital Product Management: Modern Fundamentals by University of Virginia

Not so long ago, the job of product manager was about assessing market data, creating requirements, and managing the hand-off to sales/marketing. Maybe you’d talk to a customer somewhere in there and they’d tell you what features they wanted. But companies that manage product that way are dying. Being a product person today is a new game, and product managers are at the center of it. Today, particularly if your product is mostly digital, you might update it several times a day. Massive troves of data are available for making decisions and, at the same time, deep insights into customer motivation and experience are more important than ever. The job of the modern product manager is to charter a direction and create a successful working environment for all the actors involved in product success. It’s not a simple job or an easy job, but it is a meaningful job where you’ll be learning all the time. This course will help you along your learning journey and prepare you with the skills and perspective you need to: Create the actionable focus to successfully manage your product (week 1) Focus your work using modern product management methods (week 2) Manage new products and explore new product ideas (week 3) Manage and amplify existing products (week 4) This course is ideal for current product or general managers interested in today's modern product management methods. This course was developed with the generous support of the Batten Institute at UVA’s Darden School of Business. The Batten Institute’s mission is to improve the world through entrepreneurship and innovation: www.batteninstitute.org....

LK
Jun 24, 2018

I enjoyed this course very much! This course helped me ground myself in some of the core principles of product management and I'm confident that I will take what I've learned and put it into practice.

JB
May 19, 2019

I liked the course content, even though i do not work - yet - with product. It gave me a good overview of what to expect in the near future, when i expect to be able to put the knowledge into action.

176 - 200 of 1,076 Reviews for Digital Product Management: Modern Fundamentals

By Donnalee D

Feb 7, 2021

Great course for someone who is new to this field. I feel I got a great overview in a short period of time. Alex was a great instructor, and I love that he brought in so many PM professionals and affiliates to share practical experiences.

By Huzaif

Aug 22, 2020

This course by Alex helps a lot in understanding the concepts of Product Management from all arena. I tried searching for good Product Management courses but I will admit this is by far the best resource on Product Management Fundamentals

By Viswanath K

Feb 24, 2019

I have been working as a product manger for last 3 years, but the course has so much new things too learn and refresh concepts and bring different views. I like those video conversations with different product experts across the industry.

By Vaibhav G

Dec 18, 2018

Quick snapshot of product management role, supporting tools and relevant terms. I liked the understanding of product management spectrum and significant differences between new product development and managing existing product portfolio.

By Ashish B

Feb 18, 2019

A great course with several examples across different industries for the learner to learn the subject. The interviews with PMs from eBay to google to startup founders made the material lot more fun and exciting to learn and understand.

By Patrick R

Jun 4, 2021

The course offers an impressive balance between breadth of coverage and depth on certain topics. As a PM with a couple years of experience, it was helpful as a reflection on what I've learned and areas in which I still need to grow.

By Abhishek s

Jun 1, 2019

I loved the course and there were extensive topics which has been covered in this course,which equip me to take my first steps towards Product Management.Thanks Alex & all other collaborators who have helped me throughout the course

By Vignesh B

Jul 18, 2017

It's a fantastic primer on product management. I would strongly recommend this to any aspiring PM who wants to build a strong foundation in terms of techniques and best practices that will empower you to perform better in the role.

By Evgeni K

Sep 25, 2019

This is one of the best courses related to product management that I studied. Even experienced product leaders can get new insights and think of products that they built in the past and what could been built differently and better

By ADARSH T

May 15, 2020

WELL, THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE OF LEARNING ABOUT THIS COURSE WAS GREAT.

I ACQUIRED KNOWLEDGE ACROSS VARIOUS AREAS OF DIGITAL PRODUCT MANAGEMENT ESPECIALLY IN MODERN FUNDEMENTALS.

AND HOPING TO APPLY THE ACQUIRED KNOWLEDGE INTO ACTIONS.

By Augustine C

Jan 7, 2021

Many key concepts essential to Product Management was covered, and I certainly learnt a lot from this course. I understood the roles and responsibilities of the product manager while working in teams and different stakeholders.

By Giridhar P

Jan 4, 2021

I really liked how the course was structured and delivered. Mr. Cowan really helped in clearly understanding each and every aspect covered in the course. The course clearly gave perspective for all the topics covered during it.

By Carlos A P E

Jul 25, 2020

Liked to learn all the fundamentals concepts and tools that could help me to improve my role as a PM. All the guests videos on how they apply these to real products enlightened me.....I am already exited to try these on my own.

By Юлия Б

Dec 27, 2019

Thanks! It helped me a lot to structure my knowledge and improve understanding about the Product Manager's role. I am from Ukraine and this profession is relatively new, so I want to thanks Coursera for creating this course!

By Vijay K K

Oct 2, 2018

The course really helped understand product management in the most practical way. Reading through "Cracking the PM interview" along with this course provides a well-rounded insight and knowledge on modern product management.

By Utkarsh K

Aug 31, 2020

Excellent course! The course material is very well structured and the concepts are very well taught by the faculty! It certainly adds value to product managers and those who wish to take up product management as a career.

By Kenneth M

Sep 16, 2017

Greatly enjoyed this course. I thought the topics were high level enough to really get a good understanding of what Product Management entails, but there were also enough examples to understand how to implement practices.

By Wessel P

A great Course! Highly recommended. Throughout the experience, I learned new methods and processes to build/ create better products and effectively communicate with team members! Thanks, Alex I enjoyed the interaction!

By Randy T

Sep 3, 2019

This course is really good. I love to learn a lot of things from the basic of product management until how we can execute it during the sprint.

All of the information is easy to use especially in my personal experience.

By NEO M

Oct 26, 2020

I highly recommend it, it is very insightful, helpful and exciting. It highlight the importance of planning and using methods, systems and processes such as Cavas model. Other importance elements in project management

By Dominic G

Feb 26, 2019

a great summary of the fundamentals and I learned a lot. I work for a larger corporation so some of the examples didn't quite fit with my current role, but I was easily able to extrapolate how to apply what I learned.

By Carlos E B C

Jul 27, 2020

A pesar que el idioma ingles no es mi fuerte, agradezco a la forma didáctica de Alex Coman al momento de dedicar tiempo para enseñar un tema tan interesante. Gracias a la Universidad de Virginia por esta oportunidad.

By Myriam U

Nov 12, 2017

As a UX Designer, this course has been great great to see a wider picture of product development.I got lots of practical tips and many of the questions have trigger self analysis and profssional improvement, thanks!

By Samuel F

Nov 15, 2020

Loved it! There was a huge range of techniques and approaches covered that touched upon lots of different elements of product management. I particularly enjoyed the real-life perspectives from real product managers

By antony j

Feb 16, 2019

For someone, like me, who has no experience with Product Management whatsoever, this course definitely has been a window into this domain. It has helped me understand the basics of what Product Management is about.