Back to Digital Product Management: Modern Fundamentals

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Digital Product Management: Modern Fundamentals by University of Virginia

Not so long ago, the job of product manager was about assessing market data, creating requirements, and managing the hand-off to sales/marketing. Maybe you’d talk to a customer somewhere in there and they’d tell you what features they wanted. But companies that manage product that way are dying. Being a product person today is a new game, and product managers are at the center of it. Today, particularly if your product is mostly digital, you might update it several times a day. Massive troves of data are available for making decisions and, at the same time, deep insights into customer motivation and experience are more important than ever. The job of the modern product manager is to charter a direction and create a successful working environment for all the actors involved in product success. It’s not a simple job or an easy job, but it is a meaningful job where you’ll be learning all the time. This course will help you along your learning journey and prepare you with the skills and perspective you need to: Create the actionable focus to successfully manage your product (week 1) Focus your work using modern product management methods (week 2) Manage new products and explore new product ideas (week 3) Manage and amplify existing products (week 4) This course is ideal for current product or general managers interested in today's modern product management methods. This course was developed with the generous support of the Batten Institute at UVA’s Darden School of Business. The Batten Institute’s mission is to improve the world through entrepreneurship and innovation: www.batteninstitute.org....

LK

Jun 25, 2018

I enjoyed this course very much! This course helped me ground myself in some of the core principles of product management and I'm confident that I will take what I've learned and put it into practice.

SG

May 22, 2020

It was a really wonderful and structured course for Product Managers. There are many techniques which I didn't know and can use now to my product. Recommended course for all type of Product Managers.

51 - 75 of 577 Reviews for Digital Product Management: Modern Fundamentals

By Rafael A

Jun 14, 2020

I am very satisfied, becasue this course allowed me to have know a modern Theory associated with practical content with the views of competent and knowledgeable professionals; High level didactics; great digital material; many methods, which allow the PMs to choose which best practices suit their profiles.

Grangatulation to Mr Alex Cowan e thank you so much to sharing a piece of his knowledge

By Stefan W

Dec 07, 2017

I looked for a new approach in product management and Alex fulfilled my expectations with his course. He is passionate about product management and likes to share his experiences. For someone whose English is not his mother tongue, Alex communicates it in a very comprehensible and pictorial way. His network of experts is suitably diverse. However, I had some problems understanding them.

By Povilas S

Nov 15, 2019

Concise, encompassing all necessary ideas for beginner PM. You can iterate, dig deeper and learn more yourself then, because you have the track, the fundamental ideas to lean on.

As course is based on Agile ideas, the course itself looks like agile project - kind of zero waste. Each idea, each topic or subject is valuable, each sentence brings some message with it. Thanks!

By Sagar G

Sep 22, 2019

It is an amazing course for beginners and intermediate professionals. The way Prof. Alex explains the concepts is clear and fluid. It is leaning a bit towards the entrepreneurial side. As an aspiring product manager, I learnt structured thinking an implementation skills from this course. I would totally recommend this course to the aspiring and existing product managers.

By Amit K

Sep 07, 2018

First of all, I would like to thanks Coursera for providing such a wonderful cost that really has made me learn lot of things about Product Development and how to manage growth of it. I had studied from different sources but this one is not only unique from other but it also share logical content that helps you building products. Kudos to Alex Cowan, and team of Coursera.

By Raphael R P

Jun 23, 2020

Great! Alex is clear, modestly fun, shows real knowledge and is also an easy figure to watch and follow. Honestly, I expected more complexity, but this course served to show me I've always been working with Product Management, Agile and Design Thinking, but naturally, never with the "correct names", if I can say it that way. Truly recommend for those quite lost, like me!

By Ravi V

Mar 09, 2020

All the information provide in the course is beneficial to any aspiring or current product manager. One unique part of this course is the interviews with special guest (Darden Alums) that relate the subject matter to their current roles. I’m so excited and thankful for Alex sharing his insight on this topic and look forward to taking more classes instructed by him.

By Sampath k

May 30, 2019

This course gave me a very clear mental model of what a PM should do. It was very interesting throughout. Every week i learned something new, i unlearned something i though i knew.

The icing on the cake is this course will not only make you a PM but also an entrepreneur. It is balanced towards both enterprise and statup world

Thanks Alex for such a wonderful course.

By Jennifer E

Jun 15, 2017

This is one of the best courses I have taken at Coursera and I have taken over 25-30. It covers practical product management, and supplied the student with actual tools and references to achieve the process. The professor has pulled material from cutting edge books and practitioners to craft a product management workflow/lifecycle that is actionable. Thank you sir!

By Maria A D K

Jun 15, 2020

Thank you so much for having me here as a learner. I really appreciated how the topic being discussed. It is helping me to understand more about the role of Product Manager and was able to hear some speakers giving out their tips and advice from their experience! Looking forward to learning more things for my next course! More power to Coursera. God bless you all!

By Vishal V

Jun 10, 2020

Very good introduction with good detail about Product Management. This is especially useful for people who have been working on traditional software and need to understand the way digital products can be built.

This helped me to get a perspective about the options of integrating digital products and the associated methodologies to a more traditional architecture.

By Samuel P

Mar 27, 2020

Really enjoyed it. I'm currently more in an interdisciplinary marketing role, but want to step into digital product management. Thanks to Alex some of my existing knowledge was assured while I was able to add new method and techniques to my tool set. Looking forward to build great product and find that El Dorado between desirability, feasibility and viability.

By Try L M

May 12, 2019

Strong product management course even for experienced PMs since it discusses the application of modern methodologies derived from leading practices in experimentation, customer creation and innovation management. It also has comprehensive sections about exploring a new product idea and performing incremental innovation depending on the problem-solving phase.

By DIONYSIOS Z

Sep 20, 2017

Excellent course - recommend it 100% to anyone that wants to be a product manager or works currently in a similar role. The teacher knows what is talking about, presenting a lot of frameworks that can be used in real life. Relevant & updated information, summarizing in a well documented format all the principles that you should know in the modern workplace.

By Brittany M

Jun 02, 2020

This is a really great overview of product management! There are a lot of great frameworks that I wish I had learned earlier in my product career. I would recommend this course to an aspiring PM over a CSPO (or the like) course. There is still value in a CSPO course, but I personally was really craving these sorts of actionable/applicable frameworks.

By Anirban M

May 13, 2020

A very well structured course for Product Managers and Product Management Aspirants. Each an every topic discussed in this course is highly relevant and Advanced in today's Product Management world. I got some wonderful insights about New Product Development Framework, Hooks Model, Analytics for PM etc. Thank You Mr. Alex Cowain for awesome delivery.

By Jay B

Jan 26, 2019

Consumable, yet comprehensive, and extremely actionable. Especially when paired with the resources and venture design website. Hate to say it, but probably more tangibly valuable than any of my MBA courses. I also used some of the material for "what is your thought process" type questions in an DPM interview, and the interviewees were blown a way.

By Shankar T

Apr 06, 2020

Alex Cowan has put a detailed prospective of product management role in well balanced and detailed concept and good tools for us to use during our lifecycle as product manager. Some live examples from different industries was a very good insight on how these are implemented on ground. Thank you for all the insights on Digital product management.

By Mayank M

Dec 11, 2019

The course covers a wide array of topics. The focus is on the breadth of coverage, not too deep into one path. The takeaways are very relevant to practitioners. PM's with vast experience or a very niche category might not relate to some of the content, regardless, highly recommend. I will go back and watch a few video's again from time to time

By Haitham G

Mar 03, 2019

This course has solidified and gave structure to some mental yardsticks I have had about product management. It also introduced me a variety of new tools, concepts and information that are instrumental to product management. The information delivered might seem a lot to take in initially but after a few weeks, it all start to connect together.

By Karl M

Sep 13, 2017

This course was a helpful overview of modern ideas and practices within product development. I enjoyed the way the course is broken out into short videos, infographics, practical examples, and real-life interviews throughout; quick and to the point. I am excited to try to apply some of the concepts I have learned in this course. Thanks Alex!

By Scott S

May 23, 2018

This course was well constructed and planned to provide a great story about Product Management. I was able to come to the realization that, even though I have not held the role of Product Manager officially, I have performed many of the duties of a PM. This will provide me with confidence and more detailed approaches to my future PM roles.

By Arvind T

Jun 23, 2020

A well-structured program for practictioners by a seasoned practitioner himself. Alex Cowan's dedication to the subject comes through in his lectures and interviews. I have done several other PM programs but none of them went deep into the real-life situations and case-studies as this course has. So thanks for that Alex and Team Coursera!

By Man C

Nov 11, 2019

the course is informative enough regarding how to efficiently manage your product in a modern and agile approach which is not limited to digital product. useful course materials covering product development, team management and tools together with interviews that helps a lot in getting to know real business case. will recommend to others.