Back to Foundations of Business Strategy

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Foundations of Business Strategy by University of Virginia

Develop your ability to think strategically, analyze the competitive environment, and recommend firm positioning and value creation. In this course, we will explore the underlying theory and frameworks that provide the foundations of a successful business strategy and provide the tools you need to understand that strategy: SWOT, Competitor, Environmental, Five Forces, and Capabilities Analyses, as well as Strategy Maps. We'll apply these tools in case studies of industry leaders Google, Redhook, Piaggio and Apple....

VK

Jul 20, 2019

Great insight of the basic tools covering all important aspects, both professors have discussed fundamental needs of the topic around Business Strategy, keen to learn rest of the courses and excited.

TM

May 02, 2018

This course is very helpful. It emanates from the strategist' mind. The way this course empowers a person is phenomenal. I personally learnt a lot with this course and hope to learn further as well.

1 - 25 of 267 Reviews for Foundations of Business Strategy

By Lisa N

Jul 25, 2018

The course content is very good and well presented BUT the course requirement of submitting 3 peer reviews is not practicable at all. I have been trying to find assignments to review for almost a week and there are none. This unnecessarily delays me finishing the course, which will in turn lead to me having to pay for another month's subscription. I am very disappointed in this and I wish course requirements would be adjusted for future students.

By Alexander S

Aug 15, 2018

Purely academic, has very little to do with actual business strategy. None of the trainers has business experience to share which makes this course irrelevant.

By Tara H K

Dec 08, 2016

I gained much from this course. However, the final assignment is quite difficult to complete for students with no access to data on companies and industries. Had that been readily available (without an exorbitant fee to data providers), I would have rated the course with 4 stars.

By Aniket G

Apr 10, 2019

This course is one of the best business strategical courses I came across. I learnt lot from this course especially an important fundamentals of business strategy.

By Nikos G

Jan 20, 2016

Very good course structure. Good lectures and lecturers. Good additional material and in general a very interesting course on the foundations of Business Strategy. Highly recommended!

By Griffin O

Mar 09, 2017

A great introduction to business strategy tools (which gets exponentially more complex when you apply them in the follow-on course!). I really appreciated the deep but approachable theoretical discussions of economic rents, and the professor's serious efforts to bring together business and economic principles. As a former student of economics, it gave me a great anchor point in the course.

While I really appreciate the case-based method, the volume of students just isn't high enough to allow for much vigorous discussion on the forums (or wasn't for me). I would highly recommend taking the course with a friend or colleague and setting aside time to connect each week to get the most out of the case discussions.

By Tatiana Z

Nov 17, 2016

Overall, the contents are too fluffy and not very tangible. I appreciate though putting the tools into action and having to work on the competitive position assignment, it provides great insights on what matters in a competitive market. As an optimization proposal I suggest to cover the resources of week one, like terms and formulas. That is much more crucial than some of the fluffy contents. Also the companies discussed during the course should not be more known global companies (like Redhook, or the food market examples), hence not to restrict it to USA.

By Deepak S

Dec 18, 2018

Foundations of Business Strategy course was really very helpful for me to expound my knowledge with regard to business strategies.

By Luciano R

Dec 05, 2018

Awesome !

By ASHOK M

Dec 31, 2018

Excellent course materials and timely upgrade my knowledge in current profession

By Eric S d S

Jan 28, 2019

Great learning..

By Arunabh B

Jan 04, 2019

Really great course aimed at learning the fundamental building blocks of strategy. Loved the "Strategist's Toolkit"!

By C H

Jan 29, 2019

This is a concise course which had helped me consolidate my knowledge about business strategies and competitive positioning. Overall, the lectures and assignments are well designed for best understanding of the subject and application in the real world, for a beginner

By Jamila W

Jan 30, 2019

I enjoyed this course. Definitely learned a lot of information on Analysis that I did not know before. Will be able to use what I learn in position.

By BOUZENNOUNE Z E

Feb 03, 2019

The very best course on business strategy!

By David E

Feb 04, 2019

Very interesting course. Very clear structure and usability of the given tools. Nice case studies to train practice.

By Jesús C

Nov 21, 2018

Very good methodology, teachers and content I recommend it.

By Eliran I

Nov 07, 2018

Great content, very informative, well-made and professional. Thanks!

By sohrab a

Nov 07, 2018

good course

find alot knowledge in easy way

By FARHAN N

Nov 23, 2018

BEST HELPING MATERIAL FOR TRAINING AND UNDERSTANDABLE LECTURES

By Swapnil D

Nov 11, 2018

Excellent Course material. Great Professors.

By KULADEEP T

Nov 28, 2018

This is a great course overall! I can't wait to take up the other courses in this specialisation.

By Brian L