Back to Vital Signs: Understanding What the Body Is Telling Us

Vital Signs: Understanding What the Body Is Telling Us, University of Pennsylvania

(1,906 ratings)

About this Course

The vital signs – heart rate, blood pressure, body temperature, respiration rate, and pain – communicate important information about the physiological status of the human body. In this six-part course we explore the anatomy and physiology underlying the vital signs so that you will develop a systematic, integrated understanding of how the body functions. Relevant body systems are reviewed including cardiovascular and respiratory, followed by explanations of how the function of these systems affects vital signs. We discuss normal ranges, normal variants, and the mechanisms that underlie changes in the objective measurement of vital signs. The course also includes demonstrations of appropriate techniques for measuring vital signs in yourself and others. The course is designed for a broad, general audience but will be particularly interesting for individuals working in healthcare, those considering a career as a healthcare professional, lay caregivers, those with an interest in personal health and fitness, or anyone who simply wants to understand how the body functions....

By BR

Sep 30, 2018

Yes, it is very useful to me and I will suggest to my friends to take this course. My sincere Thanks to Connie B. Scanga, PhD, she taken the all lecture clearly and her lecture was easy to understand.

By TB

Aug 16, 2018

Great Course ! It provides important information regarding anatomy and physiology of the main systems in our body. The video lectures are very interactive and Dr. Scanga has a great ability to teach.

524 Reviews

By Paul Lane

May 23, 2019

An excellent course to gain the basics and more of an in depth knowledge into what the body does and tells us with vital signs.

By Roy Gonzales

May 21, 2019

The teacher simplified the course to the ability or level of her students .

By Cynthia Caldwell

May 18, 2019

It sure was a great refresher after over 40 years

By Andrij Shevchenko

May 13, 2019

вельми цікавий курс, дізнався багато нового про своє тіло, дякую!

very interesting, learned lot of new things about my body, thank you!

By Rouqayiah

May 11, 2019

coursera is an amazing website to enable learning and engage knowledge in establishing minds of children. i just hope there is a way to allow us, students, to take more time learning. i mean the expire date we just have to rush things, when there is so much to explore in coursera. please consider

sincerely, Rouqayiah

May 05, 2019

nice course!!

By

May 03, 2019

Very interesting and informative. The nice pace with questions at the end of each video to memorize better. Thank you!

By Hiranmayi Challapally

May 02, 2019

It was very informative. I have learnt many new concepts here that haven't been reviewed in my class previously. Especially Metabolism, Temperature Regulation and Pain have been extremely helpful. A must do course for anyone interested in health care