Back to Vital Signs: Understanding What the Body Is Telling Us

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Vital Signs: Understanding What the Body Is Telling Us by University of Pennsylvania

The vital signs – heart rate, blood pressure, body temperature, respiration rate, and pain – communicate important information about the physiological status of the human body. In this six-part course we explore the anatomy and physiology underlying the vital signs so that you will develop a systematic, integrated understanding of how the body functions. Relevant body systems are reviewed including cardiovascular and respiratory, followed by explanations of how the function of these systems affects vital signs. We discuss normal ranges, normal variants, and the mechanisms that underlie changes in the objective measurement of vital signs. The course also includes demonstrations of appropriate techniques for measuring vital signs in yourself and others. The course is designed for a broad, general audience but will be particularly interesting for individuals working in healthcare, those considering a career as a healthcare professional, lay caregivers, those with an interest in personal health and fitness, or anyone who simply wants to understand how the body functions....

BR
Sep 29, 2018

Yes, it is very useful to me and I will suggest to my friends to take this course. My sincere Thanks to Connie B. Scanga, PhD, she taken the all lecture clearly and her lecture was easy to understand.

AB
Jun 29, 2017

I really enjoyed to the professor and the idea of learning the material with her students. It made me feel as if I was in the classroom learning with them. She broke down the material in a great way.

151 - 175 of 1,125 Reviews for Vital Signs: Understanding What the Body Is Telling Us

By Catherine O

Nov 18, 2019

This is a fantastic course to better understand vital signs, and should definitely be taught in all nursing programs. Even though I've been an RN for many years, I've learned so much and have thoroughly enjoyed the way Dr. Scanga presented it.

By Noura E

Aug 8, 2019

This course gave me the information in a beautiful explanation of the sophisticated details with a very special ans simple way .. I liked the quizzes they're very special and they're really measuring the true understanding of the information

By Karen Y

May 12, 2020

Would highly recommend this class for anyone. Professor Scanga is excellent and the format is always interesting. Lots of useful, well-explained information to be gleaned from this course, even if you are not going into the health profession.

By Wendy O P

Aug 11, 2018

ESTOY MUY CONTENTA POR LA OPORTUNIDAD QUE ME BRINDARON PARA LLEVAR A CABO ESTE CURSO!. LAS CLASES SON GENIALES Y LOS RESUMENES TAMBIEN LA DOCTORA EXPLICA TODO MUY A DETALLE Y DE UNA MANERA MUY ENTENDIBLE DE COMPRNDER LA FISOLOGIA DEL CORAZON!

By Gwendoline P

Oct 1, 2020

Dr. Scanga is a fantastic teacher and her team's support makes this course extremely effective. I very much doubted my ability to pass this course but her explanations are clear and to the point, her pace and diction are perfect. Thank you.

By Natasha S

Apr 6, 2020

The course was very informative. Professor Scanga is an excellent teacher. The in between clinical demonstrations really helped clear my concepts and will boost my clinical expertise. I am Med student and really benifitted from this course.

By Laketa B

Jan 14, 2021

This class is so hopeful. I love how the notes are already pre-typed up and have videos to go with them. The instructor explains everything in detail and I love the Sim Labs. Thank you so much I have really learned a lot from this course.

By Luana M C Q

Jul 29, 2020

This is the best course I've participated in months. Connie Scanga is really a great instructor and I'm so glad I had the opportunity to have these classes with her and the other students. I'm so gonna miss this course. Thank you so much.

By Tamara R

Apr 23, 2020

I have really enjoyed learning this course and I highly recommend it to everyone. The teacher is really kind and I like all additional material that we got. Also, I find quizzes really tough which is great because I actually learned a lot

By Josephine C

Mar 5, 2018

This course is both very informative and well paced. The lectures are very interesting. The content is very understandable even for students such as myself who have no background in science or biology. This is the best course on Coursera.

By Carolyn L

Oct 26, 2020

I loved the detail provided in this course and felt it thoroughly covered the topics. It seemed designed to be understood by a layperson like me; I never felt in over my head. References to common health concerns was extremely helpful.

By Guoda S

May 7, 2020

Great course for a person who wants to get basics of the main body systems and functions. The videos are very informative and clear. Perfect learning start for medical students or person who wants to learn more about the human body.

By Vera C D

Sep 1, 2018

I found this course to be very important in recognizing the vital signs and how to respond to them to take the necessary precautions to assist in possibly avoiding unnecessary death.

Thank You to All of the instructors.

Vera C Dillard

By Samuel M

Sep 29, 2020

As a first year medical student, I feel ready and confident to deal with basic vital signs taking. Earlier this year we had sessions about Vital signs at school, I was lost. All thanks to Dr Scanga and colleagues, now I know a bit.

By Shannon C J

Jul 17, 2019

This was an excellent course! I deepened my understanding of some topics and learned new things like pain management strategies that I can teach my students. I loved the demos and the interviews with other healthcare professionals.

By Ena B

Mar 28, 2020

Useful and amazing! Thank you Dr Scanga and all your colleagues for giving us the powerful insight into how our vital organs work and what are the vital signs telling us. All the best to Pennsylvania State University from Croatia!

By Meri I K

Jan 29, 2021

Clear and concise; easy to follow for beginners and yet interesting also for intermediate level learners, as the use of anatomical models -pretty rare in MOOCs- allow for a new and better understanding of already familiar topics.

By Biandri J

I did this course for my own self-development - I have a background in law and no prior experience in any medical-related courses. This was user friendly and I found the balance between challenging and understandable to be good.

By Marya

Aug 31, 2019

Very informative and interesting course! Things are explained easily, so that yoou can understand and learn everything. The work of the professors that took part in the course is amazing. Great six-week module, that was awesome!

By Anastasia O

Mar 5, 2017

The course lets you know the common infornation about different anatomy system. It is quite easy to understand the processes and I waited for the each next lecture very much. Thanks to the course developers and production team!

By Jampa C

Jul 12, 2020

thank you very much for adding this vital signs topic in the courser. It is very helpful and gave me very good understanding of the Vital Signs. Thank you Dr. Scanga for your great Explanation of all the topics in vital signs.

By Kimberly W

Jan 11, 2020

Dr. Scanga,

Wow, you are totally amazing! I finished the course in one week because I was learning so much I could not wait for the next video.

I was thinking about how interesting it would be to include a module on hot flashes.

By Lillian L

Sep 13, 2017

This course really gave me a great overview of the human body and the things which happen within it every day. It was easy to understand and perfect for someone like me who hadn't had much previous knowledge of the human body.

By Jelena M F

Jan 24, 2021

Dr Scanga shares knowledge with such passion, in a pedagogical and systematic way that evokes curiosity and drove me to accomplish the course in a short period of time. Thank you for this useful but also pleasant experience.

By Atefeh

Jun 30, 2020

Great course. My biology instructor recommended to us to take this course. This course was very interesting. I really enjoyed every minute I watched from start to finish. At last, well organized and well presented. Thank you