Back to Vital Signs: Understanding What the Body Is Telling Us

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Vital Signs: Understanding What the Body Is Telling Us by University of Pennsylvania

The vital signs – heart rate, blood pressure, body temperature, respiration rate, and pain – communicate important information about the physiological status of the human body. In this six-part course we explore the anatomy and physiology underlying the vital signs so that you will develop a systematic, integrated understanding of how the body functions. Relevant body systems are reviewed including cardiovascular and respiratory, followed by explanations of how the function of these systems affects vital signs. We discuss normal ranges, normal variants, and the mechanisms that underlie changes in the objective measurement of vital signs. The course also includes demonstrations of appropriate techniques for measuring vital signs in yourself and others. The course is designed for a broad, general audience but will be particularly interesting for individuals working in healthcare, those considering a career as a healthcare professional, lay caregivers, those with an interest in personal health and fitness, or anyone who simply wants to understand how the body functions....

BR

Sep 30, 2018

Yes, it is very useful to me and I will suggest to my friends to take this course. My sincere Thanks to Connie B. Scanga, PhD, she taken the all lecture clearly and her lecture was easy to understand.

AB

Jun 30, 2017

I really enjoyed to the professor and the idea of learning the material with her students. It made me feel as if I was in the classroom learning with them. She broke down the material in a great way.

51 - 75 of 648 Reviews for Vital Signs: Understanding What the Body Is Telling Us

By Şebnem G

Mar 06, 2020

Excellent course. I truly enjoyed it. Dr. Scanga's way of teaching matched exactly what I wanted to take away from this course. The format with the nursing students joining in the lecture, the demo labs, and the just the right content of each lecture made me look forward to completing them all. Thank you so much.

By Ramasamy A

Feb 15, 2020

The course was well prepared and presented by Professor Scanga. I really enjoyed her introductory lectures. She was always motivating and positively complimenting the students. I would like to express my sincere thanks to Professor Scanga and her team colleagues and Coursera for proving such course.

By Catherine M

Nov 08, 2016

Dr. Scanga is a delightful and very skilled instructor who takes the very complicated subject of the human body and makes it interesting and understandable for all levels. I would welcome another course such as this to continue the fascinating topic of exploring the human body. Thank you, Dr. Scanga.

By Lillibeth H

Jan 20, 2017

The course was very interesting, with a lot of useful information presented in a way that was easy to understand. The demos done in the class really help with understanding the concepts in a real life setting. I would recommend this class to anyone wanting to know more about how the body works.

By 成美怡

Feb 25, 2018

I'd like to recommand this course to you , especially you're in learning interrelated courses like Physiology , Anatomy or Diagnostics. It can give you a concise concept of some vital signs, so that giving a understangding of body strctures and helping you konw relevant clinical knowledge .

By Maria

Mar 04, 2017

Professor Connie Scanga performed an excellent job in manifesting and delivering quality education. Her ways are truly effective and engaging. The course covers a lot of important topics that will enhance the understanding of an individual on why assessing vital signs is quite important.

By Aadit R

Jul 30, 2017

I thought that this course was a great visual and explanatory aid to understand more about the human body. From the stand point of a 14 year old, it did get a little boring at the end but when Dr. Scanga started talking about nerves she caught my attention. in short, I loved the course

By Thanh N L

Aug 25, 2017

Thanks to this course, I have understood considerably more about our bodies. It's really intereting to discovery our simple daily activities interpreted from scientific or medical view. Thanks a lot you all, professionals (for your teaching) as well as students (for your questions).

By Emad A H

Dec 12, 2018

its a really wonderful course, i learned too many things from this course. Special thanks to all who help in this course.

Emad...from Ranya district, As Sulaymaniyah, Kurdistan, Iraq.

Assistant lecturer at Nursing college / university of Raparin

Bachelor degree in community health.

By Lïbræ D

Mar 21, 2017

As a young 19 years Old, who didn't remember anything about the heart i am definitely understanding and knowing more about the heart than i ever thought i could the teacher is a master at what she is doing, she understands her class and its never boring....BRAVO to the lecturer

By Sara M T C

Nov 15, 2017

This was a great course. It was easy to follow, great questions, I found the directed notes especially helpful allowing me to fill in what I thought was important as I watched the lectures. I enjoyed the simulations. I would love to see/hear more of the irregular examples.

By Ono O

Nov 25, 2019

Amazing class! I learned a lot of new information, and I’m glad I took the class! I liked how there were questions at the end of each lecture, questions at the end of each section, and application videos describing how to do certain skills (i.e taking blood pressure).

By Suzanne O

Jan 14, 2018

This was a great course for understanding what happens when you take a set of vitals. Most importantly, the instructor, Dr. Scanga, is one of those teachers that you wish you had many years ago because today you might actually be a doctor or nurse... she's that good.

By Bradley L K

May 25, 2017

Enjoyable. Easy to follow and understand. Dr Scanga presents in a comfortable and well paced fashion the material and ideas. Great information and overview of a few of the major systems of the human body, how they function and how we can assess their state. Nice job.

By Edward G

Feb 12, 2018

Great course presentation and outstanding instructional methods. Supplements all other health-related MOOCs that I have taken very effectively. Will definitely take other online course offered by Dr. Scanga et al. via University of Penn in the future. Thanks again.

By Jennifer E

Jan 06, 2018

The course was very interesting and enlightening, I learnt alot of things about the human body that i was not originally aware of. Professor Scanga was very thorough during the lectures. I am very much impressed and glad to have been a part of this 6-weeks journey.

By Yuewei X

Aug 02, 2017

It is very good to put the course in a seminar manner, which makes me feel like in a classroom and I liked it a lot. The demonstrations every week are also very helpful and comprehensive. This is a very good course and helped me learnt a lot basics about physiology.

By Rachel G

Feb 10, 2019

I really enjoyed this class. It was informative and interesting while also being entertaining. A good course leaves you curious and wanting more and this course left me very curious...and feeling a bit smarter. Thank you for producing such an excellent course.

By Lana G

May 28, 2016

Excellent introductory course to vital signs in the human body. The real-live classroom format was different and appealing. The lab demonstrations were very helpful. The Professor did a wonderful job explaining every topic, particularly Metabolism. Thank you!

By Andrea D G

Mar 10, 2017

I've taken a lot of courses online, not only on this platform, and this one is by far the best and my favorite. I really wish there would be more courses on medical sciences and specially with Prof. Scanga teaching. She is just the best. Love from Venezuela.

By Christopher L

Mar 15, 2018

Fantastic, well-taught introduction to human physiology! This course covered more topics than I thought it would with good detail and great explanations, and it has certainly encouraged me to learn more about the human body. Thanks for such a great course!

By Andrei H

Feb 28, 2017

This course was probably the hardest to learn mentally. Took a lot of research and time into it t actually pass it. Though I did learn a good portion. I loved the lesson about pain knowing what what types of pain their are and how the nerves senses them.

By Laura R

Jun 20, 2017

Such an amazing course! The instructor was incredibly clear and the lessons were well thought out. I like that we are able to watch the videos as many times as required to fully understand the content. This will be very helpful for my future. Thank you!

By Grzegorz A K

Nov 13, 2016

One of the best courses I've attended on Coursera. Prof. Scanga explains everything clearly and creates calm, almost relaxing, atmosphere in which knowledge nearly effortlessly enters the mind. I would really love to attend another course made by her.

By Hiranmayi C

May 02, 2019

It was very informative. I have learnt many new concepts here that haven't been reviewed in my class previously. Especially Metabolism, Temperature Regulation and Pain have been extremely helpful. A must do course for anyone interested in health care