Back to Vital Signs: Understanding What the Body Is Telling Us

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Vital Signs: Understanding What the Body Is Telling Us by University of Pennsylvania

The vital signs – heart rate, blood pressure, body temperature, respiration rate, and pain – communicate important information about the physiological status of the human body. In this six-part course we explore the anatomy and physiology underlying the vital signs so that you will develop a systematic, integrated understanding of how the body functions. Relevant body systems are reviewed including cardiovascular and respiratory, followed by explanations of how the function of these systems affects vital signs. We discuss normal ranges, normal variants, and the mechanisms that underlie changes in the objective measurement of vital signs. The course also includes demonstrations of appropriate techniques for measuring vital signs in yourself and others. The course is designed for a broad, general audience but will be particularly interesting for individuals working in healthcare, those considering a career as a healthcare professional, lay caregivers, those with an interest in personal health and fitness, or anyone who simply wants to understand how the body functions....

BR

Sep 30, 2018

Yes, it is very useful to me and I will suggest to my friends to take this course. My sincere Thanks to Connie B. Scanga, PhD, she taken the all lecture clearly and her lecture was easy to understand.

TB

Aug 16, 2018

Great Course ! It provides important information regarding anatomy and physiology of the main systems in our body. The video lectures are very interactive and Dr. Scanga has a great ability to teach.

126 - 150 of 1,004 Reviews for Vital Signs: Understanding What the Body Is Telling Us

By Layra E P

Aug 30, 2020

The course is great, it exceeded my expectations. The promised subject is very complete and reliable, apart from the fact that the classes are very didactic. I definitely recommend this course for students and nurses who want to update their knowledge!

By Grzegorz A K

Nov 13, 2016

One of the best courses I've attended on Coursera. Prof. Scanga explains everything clearly and creates calm, almost relaxing, atmosphere in which knowledge nearly effortlessly enters the mind. I would really love to attend another course made by her.

By Hiranmayi C

May 02, 2019

It was very informative. I have learnt many new concepts here that haven't been reviewed in my class previously. Especially Metabolism, Temperature Regulation and Pain have been extremely helpful. A must do course for anyone interested in health care

By Sara B

Jun 22, 2017

I really enjoyed the course. The lectures were engaging and easy to follow. I don't have a background in these topics but the course was very doable for me. I would definitely be interested in more courses from the same people expanding on this one.

By Nicole G

Jul 01, 2020

I really enjoyed this course and the professor. I took it the summer after taking Animal Physiology at my university and it was like the perfect refresher! Also, I like the clinical applications presented, though I would have like to see even more!

By Tyree S

Mar 09, 2016

I like this class because the instructor explains the information very well. I am using this as a refresher course and I definitely feel like I am learning a lot through her teaching. I would recommend this class to anyone that would be interested.

By Niranjana B

Feb 18, 2018

The Course Contents were really good and appropriate to understand for the distant / web learning. The Mentor was a really good person who knows how to take the sessions without glitches. Recommend this to the learning enthusiasts of their body !

By Megan F

May 22, 2020

I loved this course! She is an amazing teacher. I learned so much and look forward to taking more courses with Coursera. Professor Scanga explains the material in an approachable and professional manner. I would take any course offered with her.

By Vanessa K

I found this course to be pitched at a good level for someone who has interest but no background in the topic. I am now able to look at my personal vital signs, understand them and investigate discrepancies (via my doctor) with better knowledge.

By Lisa S

Sep 18, 2016

the instructor is an amazing expert in professional experience as demonstrated by her ease in presenting difficult topics to allow students at all levels to feel safe they will be successful in achieving knowledge and skills in these complicated

By Catherine O

Nov 18, 2019

This is a fantastic course to better understand vital signs, and should definitely be taught in all nursing programs. Even though I've been an RN for many years, I've learned so much and have thoroughly enjoyed the way Dr. Scanga presented it.

By Noura E

Aug 08, 2019

This course gave me the information in a beautiful explanation of the sophisticated details with a very special ans simple way .. I liked the quizzes they're very special and they're really measuring the true understanding of the information

By Karen Y

May 13, 2020

Would highly recommend this class for anyone. Professor Scanga is excellent and the format is always interesting. Lots of useful, well-explained information to be gleaned from this course, even if you are not going into the health profession.

By Wendy O P

Aug 11, 2018

ESTOY MUY CONTENTA POR LA OPORTUNIDAD QUE ME BRINDARON PARA LLEVAR A CABO ESTE CURSO!. LAS CLASES SON GENIALES Y LOS RESUMENES TAMBIEN LA DOCTORA EXPLICA TODO MUY A DETALLE Y DE UNA MANERA MUY ENTENDIBLE DE COMPRNDER LA FISOLOGIA DEL CORAZON!

By Gwendoline p

Oct 01, 2020

Dr. Scanga is a fantastic teacher and her team's support makes this course extremely effective. I very much doubted my ability to pass this course but her explanations are clear and to the point, her pace and diction are perfect. Thank you.

By Natasha S

Apr 06, 2020

The course was very informative. Professor Scanga is an excellent teacher. The in between clinical demonstrations really helped clear my concepts and will boost my clinical expertise. I am Med student and really benifitted from this course.

By Luana M C Q

Jul 30, 2020

This is the best course I've participated in months. Connie Scanga is really a great instructor and I'm so glad I had the opportunity to have these classes with her and the other students. I'm so gonna miss this course. Thank you so much.

By Tamara R

Apr 23, 2020

I have really enjoyed learning this course and I highly recommend it to everyone. The teacher is really kind and I like all additional material that we got. Also, I find quizzes really tough which is great because I actually learned a lot

By Josephine C

Mar 06, 2018

This course is both very informative and well paced. The lectures are very interesting. The content is very understandable even for students such as myself who have no background in science or biology. This is the best course on Coursera.

By Carolyn L

Oct 26, 2020

I loved the detail provided in this course and felt it thoroughly covered the topics. It seemed designed to be understood by a layperson like me; I never felt in over my head. References to common health concerns was extremely helpful.

By Guoda S

May 07, 2020

Great course for a person who wants to get basics of the main body systems and functions. The videos are very informative and clear. Perfect learning start for medical students or person who wants to learn more about the human body.

By Vera C D

Sep 01, 2018

I found this course to be very important in recognizing the vital signs and how to respond to them to take the necessary precautions to assist in possibly avoiding unnecessary death.

Thank You to All of the instructors.

Vera C Dillard

By Samuel M

Sep 29, 2020

As a first year medical student, I feel ready and confident to deal with basic vital signs taking. Earlier this year we had sessions about Vital signs at school, I was lost. All thanks to Dr Scanga and colleagues, now I know a bit.

By Shannon C J

Jul 17, 2019

This was an excellent course! I deepened my understanding of some topics and learned new things like pain management strategies that I can teach my students. I loved the demos and the interviews with other healthcare professionals.

By Ena B

Mar 28, 2020

Useful and amazing! Thank you Dr Scanga and all your colleagues for giving us the powerful insight into how our vital organs work and what are the vital signs telling us. All the best to Pennsylvania State University from Croatia!