Back to Improving Communication Skills

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Improving Communication Skills by University of Pennsylvania

Learn how to communicate more effectively at work and achieve your goals. Taught by award-winning Wharton professor and best-selling author Maurice Schweitzer, Improving Communications Skills is an essential course designed to give you both the tools you need to improve your communication skills, and the most successful strategies for using them to your advantage. You'll learn how to discover if someone is lying (and how to react if they are), how to develop trust, the best method of communication for negotiation, and how to apologize. You'll also learn when to cooperate and when to compete, how to create persuasive messages, ask thoughtful questions, engage in active listening, and choose the right medium (face-to-face conversation, video conference, phone call, or email) for your messages. By the end of the course, you'll be able to understand what others want, respond strategically to their wants and needs, craft convincing and clear messages, and develop the critical communication skills you need to get ahead in business and in life....

SP

Sep 10, 2020

An absolutely wonderful course on communication skills. Its a course every professional should take as it teaches the very basics of communication that we all should incorporate and practice everyday.

MG

Mar 12, 2020

This course surpassed my expectation. I can not only apply what I have learned in my professional life but also can help me to improve some personal aspects, like communication with my family members.

26 - 50 of 366 Reviews for Improving Communication Skills

By sara m m

Sep 11, 2017

Dr Maurice Schweitzer thank you very much for every thing really I learned a lot from this course that helps me in my life and I like your way in explanation it is much pretty I have enjoyed attending this course really I will miss this helpful , amazing lectures that I have learned a lot from it

By Marcin K

Jan 23, 2020

The course goes quite unexpected ways. I was not expecting what I got and I must admit I really liked it. The approach taken is very human-centric with lots of references to psychology and the way people work. It is less about structure and red tape. Perfect mix of skills for a XXI-century leader.

By Chin L Y

Oct 17, 2019

Great knowledge that I can use in advertisement, networking, buying process, team management, sales/ profit motivation ( what not to do), interview, making friends feel important, portraying oneself as the more honest and approachable person, reducing rivalry and in turn becoming happier.

By Gabriela A

Mar 23, 2020

A very good certification for people that are looking to enhance strategic managing skills. With good examples and very straight to the point information the professor is able to reflect the importance of each skill and the possibilities this knowledge can add to your experience.

By Jhemmylrut T

Mar 25, 2020

This course is very strategic in term of personal communication, particularly in a professional setting. Basically, it makes you think first before opening your mouth. Read verbal and non-verbal communication. It is very useful for personal and professional growth.

By Gilbert C

Jan 25, 2020

Overall, the lectures were good but I could not see how this would assist me in my career. 'Communication' seemed to be limited to a rather combative understanding around competition and ldeception, and consequently how to build trust or detect lying in such circumstances, while 'effective communication' was limited to how to apologise. While these are useful lessons for circumstances that are combative, I don't think these reflect the day-to-day communication I have in my current job and the presumption of bad faith in communication can lead to a self-fulfilling prophecy that can be detrimental to one's career. Also, the assessments don't get the students to reflect and implement the ideas. The questionnaire questions call upon students to memorise irrelevant bits of information that test whether students were 'paying attention' rather than whether students understood the core concepts.

By Malak A

Apr 15, 2017

It was a good course but kind of vague. Lectures were too long and full of talking instead of pause questions to keep the learner involved rather than just listening. I hoped if there were assignments and games to keep us more engaged and to assure that we fully understand the content. Otherwise, Professor Maurice Schweitzer did a great job with providing engaging examples in each video and I got to know a lot of new stories worldwide.

By Runa S

Nov 08, 2019

too condensed and the irony that it is a communication course yet too vague. The instructor condensed a probably one semester course in three or four hours course. He might want to focus more on verbal non verbal communication with some listening skills. But a whole module on deception and lying in a four module course, really. As for quizzes were horrible as they focused more on memorizing rather than understanding.

By Marjorie D F M

Jun 13, 2020

This course is very insightful and has taught me more about communication. However, there were instances when the examples and/or application questions were quite difficult to understand perhaps because I live in a different country and i am not so knowledgeable about the events that have transpired in other places in the world but nevertheless was able to grasp the main idea of each lecture. it gave me a deeper understanding of social connection with other people, building trust with strangers, challenges encountered with deception, dealing with threats and also setting realistic and learning goals to improve yourself not just in the field of communication but as well as for your personal well-being.

By Khangeldy K

Apr 13, 2020

In my opinion, the course gets better and more interesting as you go through it. So if the first week does not really seem like fun or useful, stick with the course and you will not regret. The name of the course may well be changed to "strategic communication", and that's what I liked about it — the focus of the course was not so much on the methods, but on the general thinking that helps us (hopefully) become better communicators, negotiators, and, in general, effective managers. The instructor's ideas are easy to follow and the flow of video lectures really keeps you motivated and interested in the material. Overall, I very much enjoyed the course.

By Lukrecija V

This course helped me to learn more about the non-verbal communication, negotiation, and active listening. As I want to continue my studies in the journalism field, this course provided me with some basic information about how to make my communication/interview skills better. This course would also help people interested in marketing, and other business fields, as it provides information of how to make messages more memorable, and helps to understand how to become trustable by your opponent.

By Michal

Jul 11, 2020

This course was not only insightful for team building, but was also applicable to every day life with friends or even coworkers! I found Professor Schweitzer to be engaging and interesting; conveying his points with ease and used relevant examples to drive home the point in each section. I'd most definitely recommend this course for those wanting to learn how to interact with others and gain an understanding in beginner level communication.

By Seleem B

Jun 20, 2020

This course was exceptionally taught, the professor was engaging and brought up plenty of very good and applicable case studies that fortified the taught concepts. The topics and concepts were very interesting and helpful to learn and have changed the way that I perceive many of my conversations or communications with others where I look out for those certain tactics as well as try to use them myself. Thank you so much!

By R B

Jul 12, 2020

I am rating this course very highly because it has taught me many new things that I was not aware of. This course has given me much to think about and future steps to take in improving my communication skills. Prof. Schweitzer breaks the course down into very simple and easy to understand pieces that as a whole give a completely different take on effective communication.

By Iva C

Jun 27, 2020

Thank you professor Schweitzer for introducing these useful communication skills, in this course, I found the reason why I struggling with communicate to people and how to correct it. Now I feel more effectively and smooth when dealing with people, this is a huge boost in my life and will definitely be an important advantage that impact my career later on.

By Tashini L S

Apr 19, 2020

I am glad that I took this course, it is challenging and insightful. I hope I am able to apply what I've learned in real life. I enjoyed week 3: Deception and Week 4: Effective Communication the most! I am very happy for an opportunity to participate in this course, and look forward to joining more of them. Thank you Prof. Schweitzer for your knowledge!

By Geoffrey M

Jun 23, 2020

Complete! This is one of the most engaging and practical courses I have done. Prof Schweitzer was clear in explaining, concise in presenting, stayed relevant all the way from Module 1 through to 4. I found this course to be highly educative and applicable to daily situations and I highly recommend it. Thank you.

By Soo f S

Very relevant life skills learned during the course, the facilitator was very convincing with abundance of information, examples and statistics. It also presented a different outlook on mundane previously unnoticed factors in communication that wasn't realized leading to a new and improved thought process.

By Hans R

Sep 24, 2020

The course exceeded my expectations. It teaches you the different communication skill strategies in practical life situations with relevant examples. I surely recommend this course to anyone wishing to explore communication practices and develop the skills to communicate more effectively.

By Lucy L

Apr 14, 2020

I finished this course in two days. The information is applicable to every area of life. Super accessible and instructor conveyed information in a pleasant and mild manner. I highly recommend this course to everyone. It will definitely enrich and open up your engagement with the world.

By Mehek B

Jun 04, 2020

Cannot measure in words how much knowledge this course has provided me with. Be it, the personal or professional sphere of life, this course is attributed to teaching me the smallest of communication methods.

A wonderful professor with an ocean of knowledge and a wonderful initiative.

By Guerville J

Jun 03, 2020

When I finished this course, I was just wondering, why all these things were not taught at school. So many of these recommendations / reflections would have been so helpful in the past. The best time to do this course was 5 years ago, the second best time is today ;)

By Sharad A

Nov 10, 2019

Excellent material on important topics that are usually taken for granted or dealt with intuitively, and often incorrectly. A highly recommended course to better understand the way of the world, and equip oneself to deal with it, and transform it to a global good.

By Gary S

Apr 28, 2020

Excellent. This is definitely less about actual communication and more about the strategy of what, when, how, and why to communicate. You won't learn to write better or make flashier presentations but you will learn how to have more impact through communication.

By Michele C

Oct 08, 2017

I really enjoyed the course.

I have learn smooch about communication by considering my counterpart first and also by considering her/his implicit communication.

Most of the topics touched in the course are very helpful in my daily working life.

Thank you for that.