Back to Introduction to Operations Management

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Operations Management by University of Pennsylvania

4.4

Learn to analyze and improve business processes in services or in manufacturing by learning how to increase productivity and deliver higher quality standards. Key concepts include process analysis, bottlenecks, flows rates, and inventory levels, and more. After successfully completing this course, you can apply these skills to a real-world business challenge as part of the Wharton Business Foundations Specialization....

KR
Aug 24, 2020

Great Instruction by Prof Christian - very lucid and with real world examples. Learning a business skill is mostly learning observation.. Now I know what to observe when looking for productivity!

RE
Jan 28, 2021

I found this course to be very informational; the practice and homework were excellent to prepare for the exams, and the instructor covered all material in the lectures that was on the exams.

326 - 350 of 492 Reviews for Introduction to Operations Management

By P K S

Apr 18, 2016

I

By Steven A

Apr 28, 2018

This course built me a fundamental in operation management in terms of process analysis, productivity, quality, and their relationships. This course elaborates clearly, provides examples, shows how to apply the formula in the problems, and uses the real examples (Toyota Production System). What I would like to give feedback is giving the guidance of answering the graded quizzes (decimal, percentage, punctuation, currency, etc) as a part of the introduction module (before students start for the first video), not inside the discussion forum. I would like to thank Professor Christian Terwiesch and Wharton Business School for providing this course.

By peyman s

Feb 17, 2016

On the good side, the course subject is awesome it teaches the material efficiently. I can tell this for my other two courses with Wharton. They have great teachers in this school.

On the bad side I was disappointed with the quality of the image and sound. It feels like 1995 rather than 2016. Looks like Wharton hasn't defined the presentation quality control on his courses.

The tests didn't cover the whole material. the questions were all problems to solve, very similar to the ones in the practice problems. They could have been designed much more creatively.

By 袁之骜

May 16, 2020

Through the four-week course, I learnt some knowledge about holding and monitoring an operation. Several models and formulas were used and I found some of them a bit challenging. What's more, some questions in the exam were a bit tricky. However, it is my honor to say that I really improved myself during the four weeks and I feel more confident about my college life. For improvement, I hope that some of the explanations made by the professional to be clearer and more understandable. Can't wait to take another course in the program!

By Rony H

Nov 25, 2018

This was a great introductory course indeed! I find myself at the present very familiar with what business operations are all about. I wish however there had been more practice exercises, especially for Module 4. I found some applications a bit confusing, and had I had more practice questions, I would have graduated with a much more firm knowledge of the course material. All in all, it was a good experience, thank you professor. I look forward to forwarding my knowledge in business processes and operation management in the future!

By William H

Sep 18, 2016

Course offers the most valuable information of the foundations series but the homework exam questions are ambiguous or unclear. This makes learning the material difficult as you will have to ascertain whether you are missing the correct answers because you didn't understand the material or because you simply misinterpreted the information in the question. Great information. If I had to take only one course, this would be it. I just wish it was presented as well as the information in Professor Bushee's Financial Accounting course.

By Agne N

Jul 5, 2018

Course is great, information is given understandably, but I didn't like that there were some tasks in excel as I was using phone or tablet and had no excel in it, just excel viewer. Also it would be great to find out the true answers of all questions when you finally pass the homework or exam assignements. Ussually, it took a lot of time to rework and sometimes I passed with a few answers incorrect, so it would be interesting to know the true answers and the mistakes I did.

By Kim B

May 31, 2016

The course content was very interesting and well presented, and there was a lot of opportunity to practice for the quizzes. However, many of the quiz questions were ambiguous (that is, could be interpreted more than one way), and when a question was graded as wrong it was difficult to understand where the error lay, making it hard to improve for next time. This was a slightly tough class to take online, without the benefit of office hours.

By Peter M

Apr 25, 2017

The module is very good and extremely practical I have really enjoyed it. However the homework and quiz questions are a little bit tricky and are vaguely covered in the videos making it that bit harder to figure out. If that was the intention of the module then well done you have done it well !! but if not then please take a closer look.

Apart from that i have really enjoyed it great module.

Regards

Peter M

By Renee A W

May 18, 2018

The content was good and detailed and explained in a simple enough manner. However, it was verryyyy slow and somewhat uninteresting due to the professor's monotone pitch. I was finally able to get through it when I increased the pace of the video playback. If the pace is improved and some more dynamism included in the presentation style it would definitely receive 5 stars. Overall great course.

By Matthew P B

Aug 9, 2020

The content was useful and I learned quite a bit. Professor was very thorough with the classes and had practice questions available within the coursework. Job well done. Only peeve I had was that some of the questions on the tests weren't worded correctly and there were a couple little glitches with the content. Overall, a solid course that can be used effectively in the real world.

By Daniele P

Jul 14, 2020

Very interesting material the lessons are quite clear and the concept are nicely presented. I am not sure if the graded assignments need to be this tough. For a basic course I would have assumed they would have been a bit easier. I have no statistics/calculus basis (and my knowledge of excel is not top notch), so I am proof it can be done but I found it challenging.

By Pascal J

Jan 24, 2018

I learned a lot from this class and everything was new and fresh for me. The assignments were very difficult and had topics that were not covered in class. Now whenever I am in long lines at a store or waiting at a restaurant to be serve, I always tried to see what is the bottleneck. At work now, I talk about process flows, process time and flow rate.

By Mario M R

May 14, 2017

This course definitely gives you a good basic understanding of the concepts and math behind the Operations Management. The examples, exercises and quizzes are truly useful to get prepared for each module exam. The platform is easy to use and the app is also extremely useful.

Room for improvement on explaining the exam problems and the presentations.

By Christopher S

Feb 24, 2017

A solid introduction to operations management. I worked for two years as a production manager, so some of the concepts were already familiar to me, and yet this course helped me find new meaning in the different methods of controlling and analyzing operations. Professor T. explains things clearly and maintains a good pace, neither too slow

By Georgiy S

Feb 23, 2016

Very informative course, which I have enjoyed a lot! The only thing is that for me it was quite ambiguous about writing numeric answers on exams/quizzes. I really liked the way guidelines for writing different types of numeric answers were made in Introduction to Corporate Finance course. Something similar in this course would be great

By 鄧志堅

Mar 17, 2021

This course provides a basic analysis of processing time, capacity, quality, manpower and demand rate. It closes with a short summary of Toyota production system. The instructor gives concise explanation on the concepts above with challenging questions. This is helpful course to me.

By Adam S

Jan 23, 2018

Good overview of ways to analyze a business, be it manufacturing (or fast food) or Service based (hospital, call center). Also enjoyed the section on the Toyota (Japanese) Production system view of waste reduction and quality assurance and quality control.

By Musheer A S

Mar 31, 2017

Good execution of overall e-modules. Common examples were good, would be better to use some software related examples as well.

Suggestion is to add the explanation for each of the home work answer after submission to understand have more understanding.

By Tomas S

The course itself was really interest, however, I would not recommend as a course for people with no experience. I have some background on the business community and found the course pretty hard in general. The professor was excellent.

By Paola F R B

Feb 24, 2019

Me gustaron mucho los temas, me gusto la explicacion, pero a la hora de hacer los examenes, sufrí mucho, eran mucho mas complicados que los problemas expuestos en clase. Favor de empatar lo visto en clase con lo preguntado en examenes.

By Su Z C

May 11, 2019

It's a very useful course, professor is pretty clear about explaining theory and showing how to do some calculation, it would be wonderful if the sound record system get improved, sometimes the voice from video is not clear enough.

By Johnny V

May 1, 2020

Excellent and detailed course. My only complaint is some topics are assumed as prior knowledge without explicit instruction. The student is then unsure what to even look up when attempting to fill these knowledge gaps.

By Moetaz A

Apr 25, 2020

Very informative course and does contains lots of practical examples and exercises!

Strongly recommended for those who run business and would like to understand how to create good processes and high-quality operations.

By PRANJAL S

Oct 3, 2018

The course was very informative and detailed. I will take this oppurtunity to thank coursera and The Wharton School to have such an amazing platformfor people to come and learn with real examples.

THANKS COURSERA TEAM.