Back to Fundamentals of Quantitative Modeling

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fundamentals of Quantitative Modeling by University of Pennsylvania

How can you put data to work for you? Specifically, how can numbers in a spreadsheet tell us about present and past business activities, and how can we use them to forecast the future? The answer is in building quantitative models, and this course is designed to help you understand the fundamentals of this critical, foundational, business skill. Through a series of short lectures, demonstrations, and assignments, you’ll learn the key ideas and process of quantitative modeling so that you can begin to create your own models for your own business or enterprise. By the end of this course, you will have seen a variety of practical commonly used quantitative models as well as the building blocks that will allow you to start structuring your own models. These building blocks will be put to use in the other courses in this Specialization....

AP

Jun 16, 2019

Very clear and articulate explanation of the concepts. He doesn't skip a step in the sequencing ideas, drawing comparisons and differences, and illustrating both visually and story-telling. Excellent.

NC

Jul 31, 2019

Very nice course for beginner, the mathematic level is not high (around french baccalaureat) so available to everyone. I enjoyed a lot this course that show how simple math can be used in real life.

1251 - 1275 of 1,281 Reviews for Fundamentals of Quantitative Modeling

Oct 07, 2020

Good.

By Marta

Mar 19, 2017

The student needed to have a good foundation of statistics and high levels of math to be able to follow the class. I have not taken statistics or trigonometry in many years so I struggled. I would have benefited greatly if there were more examples of how to calculate the models, including the calculations part of it. The professor did not do that and that got me wondering (not knowing) how to calculate the formulas. I think if I had seen a few examples, it would have been enough to understand and keep up.

So, more step-by-step instructions on the mechanics of formulas, would be my biggest recommendation.

But the professor did a superb job explaining the concepts, and showcasing some industry applications of the models.

Thank you for asking.

By Rubén M F

Feb 27, 2016

Great explanations provided by Prof. Waterman, however for the price of this course (in my view quite expensive) the materials available are quite poor (e.g. the formulas shown in the pdf slides are a mess, not a mathematical summary, etc), and the level of the quizzes is very basic. I would have expected much more from a course coming from Whaton.

By Saman K

Mar 03, 2016

I liked the course because of its format and material. Basically it was comprehensive.

I did not like the presentation and lack of practical examples. I had to force myself to concentrate at times and search other sources for more detailed insight.

By nikhil c

Mar 11, 2017

Its good for the starters but touches very few and very basic concepts. No offense, but the professor could have made it much more interaction by making the better slights he would just read values without even using markers

By Nadine F

May 03, 2020

I love this subject, but the way it was taught here was extremely boring and hard to follow/focus. I took it this class at NYU for grad school (higher level), so I was just looking to refresh and almost died.

By Michael S

Mar 24, 2016

Really superficial overview, I suppose it's good for just familiarizing oneself with assigning the appropriate model, but to shallow for any real carry over to the real world.

By Davide B

May 10, 2016

It is very easy and somehow less impacting on real business problem. I hope this Microdegree will get into some kind of complexity otherwise will remain high school level.

By Savannah B

Jul 01, 2018

If you have taken a statistics course in the past, this course is not super useful besides understanding which models are used for specific business problems.

By Leah M

Mar 31, 2018

Explanations not clear. Difficult to follow equations in slides (variables and equations are not repeated from slide to slide).

By Abhishek T G

Jan 30, 2017

Personally, did not like the pace of the course. The course can be a bit more interesting with real-life case studies.

By Andrey V

Dec 31, 2016

Just the basics. No concrete explanations of models. You have to study them on your own.

Apr 27, 2016

Very basic and the lectures are short in duration. Not what I expected from this course.

By Mohammed A O

Jan 28, 2020

Too difficult for a beginner, lecture fails to reach to the main point directly

By Alia s

Apr 27, 2020

at some point it was a little bit complicated for me

By Panagiotis

Oct 25, 2016

A first year undergraduate student can pass this

By Andrea

Jun 28, 2020

Really theoretical and not detailed

By Rob B

May 12, 2016

I do not intend this to be mean, but I could not listen to Richard Waterman. I am British and I understand that Richard was born in the UK but spent a great many years in the US. If he had a BritiI really struggled to listen to him as his accent crosses the Atlantic several times a sentence. I found I couldn't listen to WHAT he was saying because I was so distracted by HOW he was saying it. I am sorry, there is probably nothing that he can do about it and the course looked very interesting but I simply could not bring myself to continue.

By Laura P

Aug 07, 2020

Beware of Coursera and the $49 charges. I found that I am being charged $49 per month for each class that I signed up for. The $49 charges continue FOREVER, long the classes have been completed. When the credit card expired, I was kicked out of the class that I was in the middle of without warning. I am unable to reach anyone at Coursera to attempt to resolve the problems.

By Bryce M

Sep 14, 2020

This is pure statistics, not exactly financial modeling like the course it belongs to. Also, the lecturer speeds through concepts. You should already be familiar with statistics so that you don't have to rely on the speaker's explanations.

By Alex B

Mar 06, 2016

The course is poor. Exams are too easy, video lessons are boring and not engaging. Content is poor too. Did not like the course.

By Matheus V

Jul 11, 2017

I thought that course was more specific. I will expect more applications examples.

By Shaina K

Nov 30, 2017

It's too easy ... I can learn this on google.