Back to Fundamentals of Quantitative Modeling

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fundamentals of Quantitative Modeling by University of Pennsylvania

How can you put data to work for you? Specifically, how can numbers in a spreadsheet tell us about present and past business activities, and how can we use them to forecast the future? The answer is in building quantitative models, and this course is designed to help you understand the fundamentals of this critical, foundational, business skill. Through a series of short lectures, demonstrations, and assignments, you’ll learn the key ideas and process of quantitative modeling so that you can begin to create your own models for your own business or enterprise. By the end of this course, you will have seen a variety of practical commonly used quantitative models as well as the building blocks that will allow you to start structuring your own models. These building blocks will be put to use in the other courses in this Specialization....

AP
Jun 15, 2019

Very clear and articulate explanation of the concepts. He doesn't skip a step in the sequencing ideas, drawing comparisons and differences, and illustrating both visually and story-telling. Excellent.

S
Nov 30, 2020

for the beginer like me i have experience in banking of 8 years still for me this fundamentals are new specially quantitative modelling.Kindly provide banking related examples in here too.\n\nthanks

901 - 925 of 1,356 Reviews for Fundamentals of Quantitative Modeling

By FADZAI D C

good

By Chandrakala D

Apr 4, 2020

Good

By Donguk I

Feb 17, 2020

Good

By Muhammad S

Feb 7, 2020

good

By sandeep d

Sep 8, 2019

Best

By Gaurav A

Jul 1, 2018

GOOD

By Kenneth

Dec 29, 2017

good

By Bella N

Aug 11, 2017

good

By Rishi R P

Feb 2, 2017

nice

By Akash A

Oct 8, 2016

good

By Rajan A

Feb 27, 2016

May 8, 2016

E

By José C d H

Feb 16, 2017

The information in the course seems appropriate for an introductory level class and is presented clearly and in an understandable manner; the theoretical portion of the course is solid.

Having said that, the course could do with more exercises and practice tests in which you can apply and understand the formulas, how they are used, and why. The arithmetic component of the course felt glossed over and while that was not the focus of the course a few extra exercises could make things clearer and would not be a burden.

Fundamental knowledge of probability/statistics will help you better understand some of the concepts in the course, so if you have the time you could try checking those subjects before, or even while, studying this course.

Didactically, looking at the instructor's face for long periods of time gets tedious after a while, but this is just a minor issue.

By Yinzi L

Dec 25, 2017

I'd give 5 stars if only we can see answers & explanations after finishing the quiz. I understand why answers aren't shown, probably because it's to prevent people from memorising answers before re-attempt the quiz to get pass. However, this can be circumvented by showing answers to people who have passed for the first time - and not record scores after that. I've been frustrating with not knowing where I got wrong. Although I can ask in Forum, it's hard for me to replicate what the selected/unselected choices are.

By Michail T

Oct 27, 2018

The content was very useful. The instructor is great and his presentations are very helpful. I rank this course with 4-stars because during the tests i couldn't see the explanations of my wrong answers. I have sent a ticket for an explanation but i haven't received an answer yet. Lastly, we haven't been tough how to transform back a log regression and i believe that you should add an extra presentation for math problems like this. Thank you for the knowledge, i am looking forward for the next course.

By AJIT S U

Apr 16, 2016

The course is informative and does its job of introducing the approach to modeling pretty nicely. It could be made more rigorous by going in-depth about probabilistic models, particularly the Monte Carlo simulations and the Markov models.

I would like to thank Prof. Richard Waterman and the Coursera team for making this course available. Prof. Waterman is precise and to the point. Those who find the video lectures to be slow paced (which includes me as well ) can watch it at 1.5-2X speed.

By Bogdan D

Mar 20, 2016

The instructor is very good at explaining a wide range of notions used in business modeling, statistics and probability theory. Would have liked to get a bit more in-depth insight into certain topics but this course is called "Fundamentals of Quantitative Modeling" and does very good what is supposed to do.

The reason I am not giving it a perfect score is because I felt like the assignments were too easy and the videos were a bit too long relative to the amount of information provided.

By Meg B

Mar 9, 2016

Course provides a sound foundation in quantitative modeling. Instructor is clear and provides real world examples. I like that I could download the course powerpoint which allowed me to take notes while watching the videos. I feel confident about proceeding to the next course and hopefully through the entire specialization. The only reason I didn't give the course 5 stars is because I think there could be better tie-in with the e-book. I found the e-book to be marginally helpful.

By Ismayil A

Oct 16, 2017

Good course content however the course doesn't go in to the depth that I was expecting. This is a survey course for people who want a very high level introduction into the subject. If you are expecting something closer to a graduate level course then this course is not for you. If you want to simply familiarize yourself with the fundamentals to then further understand your gaps and further opportunities to improve in a particular subject then this is a good course.

By Onyebuchi C

Nov 26, 2016

The is an excellent course. However, in the event someone takes the quiz and passes with only 1-3 questions incorrect, that the answers be displayed so that the student can rework the questions in their own time. Please note that the answers will only populate if the quiz is passed. That way those who fail will have to go back to their notes and review, without having the correct answers provided to them.