Back to What is Data Science?

Learner Reviews & Feedback for What is Data Science? by IBM

The art of uncovering the insights and trends in data has been around since ancient times. The ancient Egyptians used census data to increase efficiency in tax collection and they accurately predicted the flooding of the Nile river every year. Since then, people working in data science have carved out a unique and distinct field for the work they do. This field is data science. In this course, we will meet some data science practitioners and we will get an overview of what data science is today....

KK

Feb 23, 2020

Terrific introduction to the Data Science course. Never expected but was extremely excited with the quality of content, speakers and a very honest attempt to making this course interesting.\n\nKrishna

RS

Very learning experience, I am a beginner in DS, but the instructors in this course simplified the contents that made me I could easily understand, tools and materials were very helpful to start with.

9551 - 9575 of 10,000 Reviews for What is Data Science?

By Mary G

Oct 28, 2021

I was hoping to get more content for my time spent. The quiz and test questions were often emphasizing things that didn't seem super important for my learning journey. For instance, one on the 12 final exam questions asked the name of who predicted that statistics would be the sexiest job in the next ten years or something to that effect. Really? That course was free, so no big deal, but I'm nervous about paying for the rest.

By Abdulrahman A

May 22, 2021

Basic knowledge and definition nothing too crazy, you are basically learning the what, why, and how of Data Science. I only gave it three stars because I am already familiar with most of the information provided ( I learned some new knowledge). If you are new to data science, this course would be a great starting point to understand how you'd approach this field based on your background. Again, this course is mostly verbal.

By Jennifer P

Feb 2, 2022

For someone with a small background in data science I felt this course was helpful and providing a basic understanding of computer and data science. With that being said it is very easy, at times redundant, and somewhat outdated. Anyone with a computer science background should only take this course if they need to for the certification. Keep in mind that this course can be completed, with commitment, in one day.

By Vimal O

Nov 9, 2021

On overall IBM data science professional certificate track: P​ros: Content is just good enough, instructors are good. Cons: IBM watson and the platform given to practise on is awful and has terrible performance and reliability issues, most often doesnt work and had an impact on my test deliverables. I personally overcame those issues to some extent with kaggle's and google colab jupyter notebook environments.

By Lahiri B

Oct 2, 2020

The in-video review questions were repetitive across a few videos. For some videos, submitting answered returned a message "answer can not be submitted". The IBM Watson image upload assignment seems old because it looks like IBM Watson does not let me do that(despite adding my cc on the IBM platform.) So either navigation is changed in Watson and the course must be updated accordingly. But it is not.

By TW Y

Jul 4, 2020

The course provides an overview on data science. But the content of the text book is a bit problematic. The most misleading part is the author described the dictator of China, Xi Jinpin is the man who is making the world become better. This notion ignores all the human right violation happening in China. I would recommend the change the text book and the misleading reading materials.

By HE Y

Jun 7, 2020

It is just an overview about Data Science and there is not much useful information. The examples given in this course are not very concrete so that even after this course I couldn't get enough feelings about how real work is done in real life. So I would rather pursue those practical lessons about how to use analytic tools and train myself through real exercise and projects.

By Danish A

May 3, 2022

This was a very immersive and interesting course -- a lot of self-learning to be done on your own to really understand and put together into practice the technology into your own course and workflow. I get know experience and knowledge in using different kinds of online tools which are useful and effective. I'll use some of them during my lessons. And lots of thanks.

By Beatriz B

May 8, 2021

It is a very good course if you haven't had experience with data base. The articles doesn't have the hiperlinks to read the references. It would be very clear if the course had success cases, with detailed explanation of hte question made, hypothesis, methodology used, tools usted, document and visual presentation attaced to the project report detailed step by step

By Ankur G

Jun 13, 2020

A good course to introduce yourself to the field of Data Science and the opportunities lying ahead. I thank the professors for making this course interesting.

Just one thing though, the course deals with only the tip of the iceberg and I feel that few more insights into the field of Data Science and its applications might have made the course better.

By bruno c c

Jun 11, 2019

I felt like the explaining got way to repetitive. Why not show some real life examples and the impact of Data Science has on the world? Why not show a video of at least a glimpse of data being analysed to get us even more fired up for the course. Also, the intro section before each video was very annoying, include the intro only on the first video.

By Nicks C P

Sep 6, 2021

The material is very basic (although there are some new knowledge), my expectation I would get introduction to more advanced material. But the good parts are the content and the name matched, also from this course I become more confident with my existing knowledge about data science because the course give explanation similar with what I think.

By Robert F

Oct 29, 2020

Poor quality of reading materials presentation: why not use pdfs?

Content was very limited and easy.

A lot of the videos were repetitive and too long for the amount of content.

The IBM cloud project didn't work as I wasn't able to set up the visual recognition component in my project. No communication about how/when this would be resolved.

By Lee H

Apr 6, 2019

The end assignment is a bit weird. The definition of data science is using story telling? Surely that comes under communication, however, the rubric specifically states that we need to state story telling. I felt this module was more to introduce how to use Coursea than much else. I did really enjoy the fun Watson example.

By Benjamin W

The grading is odd. I received no feedback rather, a grade that did not reflect what I answered. The course syllabus is arranged as almost a surprise. I wish I would have known how to navigate the course instead of learning it in stride. Overall, I am here to learn and earn my certificate. I will continue on.

By JOSEPH R M C

Mar 4, 2019

It is just a theoric course and I think y would have been lost if I had not taken another course that explained everything covered in detail and with excersices. One advantage of this course is that it can be completed even in one day. Also, I think, IBM gives this course for free in its page, Big Data University.

By Bilal M

Jan 9, 2022

Good course to start with. However, I would like to see some more technical detail and possibly hands-on experience with some of the tools. The other courses in the specialization (intro to cloud, and intro to AI) had those elements which are great to give a beginner a feel for the field and the tools involved.

By Luciana L R

Dec 28, 2021

The course provides a good idea of what the data science field is and the role of a data scientist. It is VERY basic though (even for me, a beginner). Plus, the quizzes test your ability to memorize information verbatim, instead of testing your comprehension of the topics covered in the videos and readings.

By Milad

Feb 10, 2020

this course is mostly about the elaboration of data science and related terminology in concept and various standpoints on that. it does not necessarily add any hard skill to your toolbox but I guess it might be useful to know what you are dealing with and hear different practitioners of the field

By deon v r

May 5, 2019

I don't know..

Granted this is the first of 8 or 9 courses in the series but I am worried about the depth of tuition I will be receiving with the other courses. I want to learn a new applicable skill - not just spending 3 weeks watching introductory videos and reading a couple of 5 minute articles.

By John H

May 18, 2019

Not a bad introduction to data science, but not a great one either. I am biased. I never really enjoy these broad introductions though. Quizzes and assignments could have been more meaningful. I felt like the only goal here was to excite people about the field rather than teach them about it.

By Suraj k

Oct 19, 2020

The problem regarding the IBM Watson to add an associate service is still not been resolved. If that would have been done, it would help lot of us to understand the IBM Watson and services. Apart from that the information regarding Data Science is good and real-time examples would be useful.

By Luqmaan

Jan 26, 2020

OK for beginner introduction. Most of the content was interview style. There were quite some good knowledge shared by the senior data scientists. But for the juniors, I would prefer them to at least introduce themselves first before instantly expecting learners to trust them at first sight.

By Indrajit S

Oct 4, 2020

Would have appreciated a greater degree of technical inputs; one live project was a repeat from course on AI. Current course material is very generalized though important. Adding one more week with inputs on key techniques and specific case studies as live project would be very valuable.

By Isabel F M

Apr 20, 2020

Well structured and good reference material. It is a very general course, with practically no hands-on activities. I would not consider it relevant for someone who has a minimum background in Data Science and wants to pursue it, it's more a very light introduction of the subject.