Back to What is Data Science?

Learner Reviews & Feedback for What is Data Science? by IBM

The art of uncovering the insights and trends in data has been around since ancient times. The ancient Egyptians used census data to increase efficiency in tax collection and they accurately predicted the flooding of the Nile river every year. Since then, people working in data science have carved out a unique and distinct field for the work they do. This field is data science. In this course, we will meet some data science practitioners and we will get an overview of what data science is today....

MS

Sep 17, 2020

very useful. i liked and enjoyed the journey of learning in these five weeks. the instructor is very clear and taught very interestingly. Thanks to her. she looked poised and cheerful and professional

BB

Feb 21, 2019

Excellent quality content! It's a great introductory course that really gets you interested in Data Science. I would highly recommend it to anyone curious in learning about what Data Science is about.

201 - 225 of 10,000 Reviews for What is Data Science?

By Subhashree M

Sep 5, 2019

The basic understanding of data science is stepping stone to becoming a data scientist. This course exactly guides you to become a good data scientist. It was good learning experience. Thank you so much professor and all the data scientists who took effort in creating this content and share their take on data science. Thanks to coursera team for putting this together.

By Thomas V C

Aug 23, 2019

Hi. The course was very helpful, with the audio, video and text that allowed me to get a a hands looks inside data science. As the trend of data science gains more feet into AI with advance medical technologies will take a rise. Curious people are willing to see what data science is they can take this program, I feel the course will offer you great knowledge in-depth.

By Dilpreet S

May 14, 2020

I joined this course with a very less knowledge about Data Science and how the work is done in this industry. Thanks to all the teachers and peers to help me in understanding this course. This course is really helpful for those who don't know what data science is and what data scientists do. For beginners who really love to play with data this course is must for you.

By Suvinava B

Apr 9, 2019

The course is very well structured and sets the tone for rest of the course. It clearly explains the importance of data science, its various applications across industries and also how data scientists work and what personal traits would be required to be a great data scientist. I am looking forward to learn more from the rest of the courses under this specialization.

By UMRIGAR A H

May 13, 2022

Data science is one of the hottest professions of the decade, and the demand for data scientists who can analyze data and communicate results to inform data driven decisions has never been greater. This Professional Certificate from IBM will help anyone interested in pursuing a career in data science or machine learning develop career-relevant skills and experience.

By Devin J

Jul 24, 2020

It was a fantastic experience for me to join this course!

The course was so insightful. There are so many lessons that caught me out cold. It was delivered with a bit of humour and very interesting! I get a glimpse of what data science is, career path to becoming a data scientist, what important qualities of a data scientist would be, and data science report writing.

By Sandesh D

Jul 4, 2020

Very informative course that tells you what data science really is, tells you more about what one does as a data sceintist, gives information on tools used in data science and about the main componenents of a report made by a data scientist.

It has interviews of people who are learning or have learnt data science and have pursued a career that requires data sciences.

By Atharva J

Dec 26, 2019

I have completed this course (Mt final assignment is under grading) and to be honest, I have learnt a lot from it .This is a perfect start which a Data science aspirant needs at start! I really loved the Report structure thing of this course as its something which many people lack at! I really want to thank Coursera & IBM for bringing across such a wonderful course!

By Sherry Z

Sep 28, 2020

I rated 5-star because it is an excellent orientation of Data Science. I get to know the basic knowledge of this subject matter, its application and the daily work of the data scientist. I like the sector which provides comments on the requirement/necessary characteristics of a data scientist. It helps me review my pros and cons and the suitability for this area.

By Phillip F

Jul 7, 2020

This was a very good course to take. It was full of information and I love the diversity of getting other peoples idea's and experience when it comes to data science. I would recommend this course to everyone and if you do decide to take this or any of these make sure you are in a quiet room where there is no noise in the room and you can do it some place quiet.

By shantanu j

Dec 10, 2019

This course was short and simple. It contained everything one needs to know about data science. It was like a vast lecture about what is data science and its applications. I learned many things as I mentioned in the "what have you learned" section. I got a clear knowledge about the things about data science and now I know which direction I have to move forward.

By José A R N

Aug 22, 2018

My name is Jose Antonio. I am looking for a new Data Scientist career (https://www.linkedin.com/in/joseantonio11)

I did this course to get new knowledge about Data Science and better understand the technology and your practical applications.

The course was excellent and the classes well taught by the teacher.

Congratulations to Coursera team and IBM Instructors.

By Jakub M

Feb 5, 2020

The course is a very pleasant introduction to the field of data science. Don't expect too much coding or theory - the goal of this course is to let you grasp the basic concepts and ways of thinking.

I already have some experience in data science, but gained more than expected here!

(HOWEVER, the next two courses in this certificate - not on par with this one).

By Silke K

Sep 28, 2018

I am very satisfied with the quality of the videos, which are basically interviews, in two ways: The content of the interviewees was excellent - to the point, well spoken. The quality of the sound was also excellent. Overall, this is a very helpful basic course that everyone who starts in, or is already involved with, the field of data science should review.

By Nora W

Jan 24, 2020

I liked that you have people from different professional backgrounds provide their definition of Data Science. It makes me feel good about what I am doing, because I studied to become a lawyer, and I found out recently that I am good at analyzing data so I decided to start a career now in Data Science. Thank you to everyone that made this training possible!

By Kat J

Feb 15, 2021

This is a well developed and paced course that presents the basics of Data Science and its purpose in our modern world. I highly recommend this course to everyone that is embarking on their first journey through Data Science. It provides a strong foundation to fully understand what is Data Science, its components and significant use across all industries.

By Shaariq K

May 5, 2020

As someone looking to change careers, I felt this was a great introduction for me to better understand data science as an industry and profession. It solidified my interest to continue to pursue this path as I discovered that many of my strengths which have made me successful thus far can apply to this field as well once I develop the technical knowledge.

By Aseel

Nov 14, 2019

Two words; clear and concise. I cannot emphasize how the clarity and straightforwardness of the provided materials are the highlight of my review. Introducing Data Science in plain English? I’m all ears! I am excited to continue the remaining courses in the Data Science Professional Certificate. Thank you to all that helped produce this outstanding course.

By Qazi M H

Jul 24, 2020

This course has increased the knowledge with very basics and real examples from different industries who they are applying the Data tools to improve the services.

It has also made huge impact on how important the Data is no matter how old and huge the data is. The right tools/programs should be used to analyze the data in structured way.

Highly recommended.

By Qudsia L

Mar 21, 2019

Really liked it. It was meaningful information that gave a holistic image of the field. The quizzes helped focus on retaining information. For the final open question assessment, it would be good to have a suggested length of response. I feel bad for the people who would have to read through my essay about who is a data scientist and what is data science.

By Bhuvaneswari L

Mar 21, 2022

Loves the introductory course. Gave insights on what is data science and what does a data scientist do. Also talked about the various fields where data science can be applied and gave use cases for the same. Explained about the data science process and how a data scientist uses tools to narrate a story to the relevant stakelholders to help deliver value.

By Anthony S

Sep 16, 2020

My only complaint is that I had to repeat some of the information when time passed by in that I wasn't progressing in the course for over a month. I redid some of the material to be able to continue. I reached out about it because it seemed like my prior work history was lost, for example, tests. Otherwise, the course material was a good introductory.

By teja k

Apr 21, 2020

Actually my university take every student to industry for industrial visit. There every industrial expert will share there experiences and also guide us how to do and solve problems.

In the same way, In this course I felt like interacting with Industrial experts and I learned so much basics in this coarse.

This course must deserve 5 STAR Rating.

Thank You!

By Maulik M

Mar 25, 2021

The greatest things were - simplicity, the interview formats and in particular Prof White and Prof Murtuza. The animation and slides for this course were great.

There was just sufficient repitition in the course as well to ensure appropriate learning takes place.

Thanks to the whole team that put this course together for novices exploring DS as a topic.

By Arlex A R

Excelente curso, me ha permitido entusiasmarme bastante con lograr esta certificación y conocer la infinidad de aplicaciones de las ciencias de datos en cualquier profesión, particularmente en mi trabajo como Auditor Corporativo de una multinacional. Creo que me abrirá nuevas puertas estas habilidades de este curso y las que adquiriré en los próximos.