Back to What is Data Science?

Learner Reviews & Feedback for What is Data Science? by IBM

The art of uncovering the insights and trends in data has been around since ancient times. The ancient Egyptians used census data to increase efficiency in tax collection and they accurately predicted the flooding of the Nile river every year. Since then, people working in data science have carved out a unique and distinct field for the work they do. This field is data science. In this course, we will meet some data science practitioners and we will get an overview of what data science is today....

PD

Jul 19, 2018

I thought this course introduced the topic of data science very well. I think I have a much better idea how to describe data science and common terms associated with the field (like machine learning).

MG

Jun 27, 2020

I throughly enjoyed the course and the fact that everything was explained thoroughly. I always enjoyed Dr. White's personal experience with Data Science as well as other Data Scientists point of view.

226 - 250 of 6,984 Reviews for What is Data Science?

By Pratik S

Jun 09, 2019

A very basic and from the ground understanding of data science and what data scientists do is mentioned in this course. It is the perfect surface to start this 9-course specialization. I am happy I started with this course and I feel very much confident about moving forward in the series.

By Matthew A

Mar 31, 2019

Very happy with this introductory course. It not only provided a concise and interesting introduction to the topics, but it also did well to ease you into the course format, including videos, reading, quizzes and the final project submission. I look forward to more courses in this series!

By Isaac O

It was enlightening, to say the least. The ability to differentiate each subsets data science, and answer the question of who is a data scientist was the most intriguing. With this initial course, you can make a decision about your motivation level in pursuing the exciting field of data.

By Alifian A R

Jun 20, 2020

It has detail and broad explanation about data science and its application, even if you don't have any knowledge about data science, you could understand every piece of knowledge serve here. All you need to have in the beginning just using your english language to understand this course

By Rohit K

Jun 28, 2020

in this course i know about how data are actually work and how we are at data science and how to become a data scientist,how out data work,store and how the team work and what knowledge we learnt for understanding data science.this is a good for beginners who want to a data scientist.

By Angshuman S

Sep 14, 2019

Simply in love with Data Science. Thank you IBM and Coursera for helping me revive my thought of being a data scientist which I had dropped. Thank you for helping me believe in myself and I really look forward to your course and aspire to be a data scientist one day. Happy learning :)

By Arisara C

Sep 02, 2018

Data science :The science of collecting and changing information to knowledge

by​ Data​ Scitist

good​ data scientist​ has a

1.​ curious mind, judgemental​ and​ argument

2.​ has knowledge of mathematics and computer science​..

3.​ has a good algorithm for analysis data to find a result.

By Mai A L

The course is very friendly but at the same time takes you into the world of Data Science more deeply. I loved the lectures, they gave me the basic understanding of the subject and mostly the time to understand if Data Science is something I wish to put an effort and time into (yes!)

By Jesus A S

May 23, 2020

I had some misconceptions about Data Science and what data scientists do. This course set me straight and ignited my enthusiasm to continue pursuing this path. Armed with better understanding and a clearer vision of where and how to proceed, I can't wait to move on to the next level.

By Oleksandr B

Nov 26, 2019

Was very happy to hear that curiosity, be extremely argumentative and judgmental are the must and top skills of a Data Scientist! Will definitely read "Getting Started with Data Science: Making Sense of Data with Analytics (IBM Press)". Thank you so much for the great introduction!!!

By SHIVAM T

Mar 27, 2019

Murtaza Sir was my favorite during the entire session, his thoughts motivated me a lot, the one when he said the curiosity is the most important skill when you are going to become a DATA SCIENTIST.

Really Good Work by Coursera team and IBM for creating such a wonderful course for us.

By Preetham s D

Apr 22, 2020

This is a course which can provide knowledge on Data Science Foundations .A person who is having 0 knowledge on Data Science ,after taking this course can have a clear cut view of applications of Data science and can gain knowledge that can drive his passion in Data science career.

By ANSHUMAN A

Apr 14, 2020

This course has given a basic view about data science and tools being used by data scientist. Easily described about AI, Data mining and neural network. I came to know the basic differences between deep learning and machine learning and how they are interrelated with each other.

By Dinara K

Jan 07, 2020

Course gives fundamental discription of what is data science and who is data scientist. I have learnt about the skills that are need to become a good data scientist. In general, it is great course, that will open your curiosity and interest to learn even further about data science.

By Jehad h

Jul 02, 2019

This was just an introduction, but you have done an amazing job. I used to enroll in many courses before in different majors on-campus and online, but no one was enjoyable as this one. I have full motivation to keep exploring on this course details and the next sections. Good job.

By Orah R O

Jul 20, 2020

Dear Sir/Madam, My name is Orah Richard Ojochegbe, I am from Nigeria, my goal is to obtain my MSc and Ph.D. in data science (Especially AI, Big data and Machine learning(Data mining) in your organization. I have completed a course on what is data science? Please update my account

By Shalini k

May 16, 2020

TO KNOW BRIEFLY ABOUT DATA SCIENCE YOU CAN EASILY LEARN AND HAVE BRIEF KNOWLEDGE VERY EASILY...ONE CURIOUS ABOUT HOW VERY LARGE DATA KEPT SAFELY VERY LARGE IN HOSPITAL, INDUSTRIES ETC...BY THE DATA SCIENTIST AND HOW THEY DO..THEY CAN JOIN THIS COURSE

ALL THE BEST

THANKYOU COURSERA

By Ounam G

Mar 24, 2020

The title of the course really interprets what the entire course will teach you. Very informative, even though I am myself going for masters' didn't knew a lot that they covered in this series of lectures.

You will surely change your field if not in the same after watching this!!

By Zach P

Dec 09, 2019

A really great course, and an adequate amount of work/quizzes. It says about 3 weeks long of a course you can finish most of it in 1 full week of work. Which is perfect for someone like me, where on the weekends after work I can gain some huge progress and not feel so far behind

By Marco M

Oct 11, 2019

Is quite scary to say the least to jump in to something named: Data Science, specially when you don't come from a Data or a STEM way of life. After finishing this course I have to say that I just want to keep learning to get my certificate because I'm sure I can make it happen.

By Ruslan J

Jun 15, 2020

The course was very informative. Now I have a clear image of what is data science and how it's being applied in a large variety of industries. Moreover, I learned what specifications are required for being a data scientist at a specific field and process of being hired.

Thanks

By Adnan K

Feb 06, 2020

For someone who does not have much of a clue, this course was an eye opener.

Dr. Murtaza Haider has explained Data Science very simply and effectively through his videos.

Any one who wants to understand what is Data Science at a preliminary level, this is absolutely recommended.

By Enas J k

Jul 22, 2020

This course has very detailed information on data science and data scientists. The real-life examples and applications of data science presented by different data scientists are also amazing. Overall an excellent course for anyone who wants to venture into this amazing field.

By Martin S R R

May 07, 2020

This course does a very thorough job at giving an overview of Data Science and what Data Scientist do. However, I would've liked for it to have delved a little more into how the rest of the certificate course is structured and what to expect; class contents, assignments, etc.

By Bhavesh G

Apr 01, 2020

I get an idea about the data science field. Also, I get an idea about the basic responsibility of the data scientist. I'm not a data scientist and not having statistical background but I bit confident after pursue this course I will start my career with data science. Thanks.