Back to What is Social?

Learner Reviews & Feedback for What is Social? by Northwestern University

The “What Is Social?" MOOC is for business owners, executives, and marketing professionals who want to significantly improve their abilities to grow their social strategy using effective, proven methodologies. This hands on, "how to" program won’t just tell you how to grow your professional persona using social – you will actually do it! This course is the first in the six-course specialization, Social Media Marketing: How to Profit in a Digital World. While the course can be audited for free, paid learners will receive additional content beyond the course basics. For MOOC 1, the toolkit includes a special video from Alessandro Acquisti on Big Data and a set of studies done by IBM on engagement and social marketing strategies with bottom-line profits. This course has been designed to give you the tools, insights, knowledge, and skills to immediately impact your organization. In addition, we will help you network with thought leaders in social. After completing this course, you and your organization’s staff will be able to position, engage, and grow relationships with the consumers of highest value to you. Today, we are living in a period of massive disruption. New technologies are changing the way people engage with each other and with the organizations that interest them. This course will start you on the path to growing your own social strategy using effective, proven methodologies. Additional MOOC 1 faculty include: * Judy Ungar Franks (President, The Marketing Democracy, Ltd. & Lecturer, Medill Integrated Marketing Communications, Northwestern)...

FF

Oct 07, 2016

Great course. Looking forward completing whole specialization.\n\nAdditionally, the course shares and recommends tools which are helpful if you are doing social media marketing or eager to become one.

CQ

May 13, 2016

A really great introduction to Social Media Marketing and an opportunity to gain access to really useful tools that make me competitive in the job market. Very excited to begin MOOC 2 of this program.

26 - 50 of 697 Reviews for What is Social?

By Halliday H

Feb 11, 2016

This was an absolutely excellent course. I began implementing what I learned into my social strategy immediately, and my Klout score jumped from below 30 to 50 within a matter of days. The professor is very good at explaining everything clearly, and the other experts he brings in really add value. I can't wait for the second course!

By Daniela F

Dec 19, 2018

As a self-taught marketing specialist, I decided to take this specialization and course by Professor Hlavac from Northwestern University and I don't regret a thing! The knowledge I have about social media marketing is starting to be systemized and I can clearly understand some aspects of the social I had no idea where they fit.

Aug 03, 2017

I enjoyed this course especially how it forced me to tweet and socially interact, which is something I hate doing. I also appreciated some of the course requirements that asked me to sign up for social metrics like Hootsuite and Klout. I knew about them but would have never signed up if not asked to in this course. Thanks!

By Monica J M

Jan 31, 2016

Very good class for getting my feet wet. I have the ability to tweet, post and opine in response to blog posts but I feel that for my business I need to have an understanding of Social Media. I intend to use the tools to build my professional persona and gain larger understand of Social.

Looking forward to the next MOOC.

By Chrysanthemum C

Jul 09, 2017

Great course. The structure of the lessons and the assignments are really geared towards working you towards the ability to get the entire scope of preparing a marketing strategy. I've taken some of these courses out of order and think that the assignments really give you an effective framework to make future decisions.

By Ashley L

Mar 08, 2016

This course was immensely helpful in how it connects students with resources and information that allow them to stay up-to-date on all things social. Instructor Hlavac gave us all of the information we might need in a way that was easy to digest as well as making sure we had the tools necessary to succeed in the course.

By Jennifer H

Apr 02, 2017

Excellent course with logically organised content clearly presented to the student. Quizzes and assignments were fair and easy to understand and at the completion of this course I feel that I have a better understanding of social media marketing and a few new tools and skills to execute a plan in a more productive way.

By Luis M

Dec 18, 2016

This course is a great introduction to social media, you learn things that you would never imagine and they help you to understand the basis of social media, first course is more like a general idea of "what is social?", so in order to have a full understand of how it works you will have to take all the specialization.

By Lin L

Nov 12, 2015

Thank you very much for providing the access to this amazing course on Social topic. It helps a lot in enhancing the understanding of the definition of social and also provides multiple cool way to promote social skills. What I appreciate even more is that there are a bunch of tool kits introduced in this course.

By Clelia L

Aug 04, 2018

I learned a lot about the importance of Social in this new digital world. Some of us already know the impact that Social Networking sites have, but ignore virtual communities. But now thanks this course, I not only focus on identifying my high value market, but also on growing my presence on virtual communities.

By Hazel M F

Feb 13, 2016

A wonderful introduction into social media and how it can be used for promotional purposes. Prof Randy Hlavac is clear and insightful, the course content is engaging and interesting, and the assignments are meaningful. Really enjoyed doing this course and definitely considering taking up the other related MOOCs.

By Gayle B R

Feb 03, 2016

Helped me get my head around this inescapable part of marketing strategy and justify placing it at the center of my thinking. Even as the marketing world acknowledges social as legit, there is still a tendency at the agency level and by clients (especially finanicial service client) to treat it as an add-on.

By Jillian G

Feb 24, 2018

Excellent course for a near-beginner in the marketing world! I have had experience with various social media platforms, but this course really opened my eyes to the full range of capabilities these channels hold! I'm very excited to continue my journey with social media marketing and grow professionally!

By Claire T

Jan 04, 2016

I signed up for the full Social Media Marketing specialization knowing little what to expect. I am so thrilled that I did as I have learned so much already and can't wait to continue. Professor Hlavac is clearly brilliant in his field, but he is also humble, clear and encouraging. Love the class!!

By Janene N

Feb 29, 2016

As a social media user and new to marketing in this area, this course offered a great "get started" overview and actionable steps to start working on a plan to reach my high value market. I would recommend this course, particularly the paid version, highly. It's worth the investment so far.

By JIA Y

Nov 27, 2019

I feel really grateful that i have the chance to be one of the student on this site, and i think this course have positive effect on my life and people around me, i decided to make it more useful to benefit not only myself but also the society. Thank you again! and BEST WISHES to Coursera!

By Vikas D

Mar 14, 2016

An exhaustive introduction to the world of social! The course builds on the basic understanding of social media and platforms that one has by virtue of being part of a social network.

The insights on the trends, the numbers and the evolution of the social world are indeed, very enlightening!

By Od S

Jul 24, 2017

This is a very powerful tool to start in social media marketing. This course gave me some tools and knowledge about the high value market and the sites they are interesting in. It´s so important to know the value of influencers and how to use them to promote your product. thanks very much.

By Victoria A

Feb 23, 2017

I think that MOOC 1 offers an excellent framework for Social, even for those who are rather new to the concept of using it as a tool, whether for personal or corporate branding. Also, it's a good set up for the succeeding MOOCs where students are taken deeper into the realm of social.

By John W

Jan 07, 2017

I really feel privileged to be able to take these high quality course on line. They are a great help to an additional role I have been given at work (taking on marketing for a small business). Thank you for making this available and doing such high quality content and presentation.

By Frances P

Sep 14, 2016

Excellent course and resources. For those you don't know much about social media, it explains what it is and the importance of it. For those who use social media, it helps put everything into perspective so we can understand the important role it plays in marketing strategies.

By Supratim B

Mar 03, 2019

It's a great introduction to the world of social. It provides a sound theoretical base and the best part provides actionable inputs for enhancing your online professional persona.

Recommended to candidates who want to understand social and its effectiveness as a marketing tool!

By Michelle S

Oct 23, 2019

This was a very nice overview of the components of Social Media. Although I knew a lot of it already, there were some wonderful gems of information and an introduction to tools with which I was not yet familiar. Thank you for a wonderful intro! Definitely worth my time.

By Laura R

Jul 07, 2019

Un curso excelente, con un muy buen docente, el contenido es de calidad, las explicaciones son claras y concisas y los ejemplos son adaptados a casos reales, ademas las herramientas que se aprenden a usar son muy útiles y completas. Estoy muy satisfecha con el curso.

By Ma. E

Sep 01, 2017

I t is a good course to learn the basics about social media and how important is to develop your persona in social media. Here you don't learn what you think you know, you really get more information about the importance of social media in this generation.