Back to What is Social?

Learner Reviews & Feedback for What is Social? by Northwestern University

The “What Is Social?" MOOC is for business owners, executives, and marketing professionals who want to significantly improve their abilities to grow their social strategy using effective, proven methodologies. This hands on, "how to" program won’t just tell you how to grow your professional persona using social – you will actually do it! This course is the first in the six-course specialization, Social Media Marketing: How to Profit in a Digital World. While the course can be audited for free, paid learners will receive additional content beyond the course basics. For MOOC 1, the toolkit includes a special video from Alessandro Acquisti on Big Data and a set of studies done by IBM on engagement and social marketing strategies with bottom-line profits. This course has been designed to give you the tools, insights, knowledge, and skills to immediately impact your organization. In addition, we will help you network with thought leaders in social. After completing this course, you and your organization’s staff will be able to position, engage, and grow relationships with the consumers of highest value to you. Today, we are living in a period of massive disruption. New technologies are changing the way people engage with each other and with the organizations that interest them. This course will start you on the path to growing your own social strategy using effective, proven methodologies. Additional MOOC 1 faculty include: * Judy Ungar Franks (President, The Marketing Democracy, Ltd. & Lecturer, Medill Integrated Marketing Communications, Northwestern)...

FF

Oct 07, 2016

Great course. Looking forward completing whole specialization.\n\nAdditionally, the course shares and recommends tools which are helpful if you are doing social media marketing or eager to become one.

CQ

May 13, 2016

A really great introduction to Social Media Marketing and an opportunity to gain access to really useful tools that make me competitive in the job market. Very excited to begin MOOC 2 of this program.

651 - 675 of 697 Reviews for What is Social?

By Fabrice L

Jun 05, 2017

I did this course for my own personal development and was slightly let down by the emphasis on being part of a firm. The final week in particular was about your 'companies' social media. Perhaps I missed this in the information about the course, if not I wish this had been made clear to me. Thank you

By Kim B

Dec 17, 2019

I thought the course was well organized but found it difficult to apply to my actual job.

Rather than encouraging use of freeware tools, it would be good for NU to arrange for discounts or access to student editions of tools actually used in the business world (e.g. Sprout Social)

By Muhammad W Q S

Nov 25, 2016

Content is really insightful, however, the instructor does not really dive into the details of most things. If you are paid learner, its better to get the whole specialization if you really want to get the gist of social media marketing.

By Candace H

Jul 22, 2019

The material is old, the content is decent. However, my biggest issue is I had to "Reset My Deadline" 2 additional times waiting on assignments to get graded (as in, there was no more work for me to do). That was annoying.

By Diane M

Aug 19, 2018

Unable to complete week 4 as no replacement tool was provided for Klout. As the material of that week is built on Klout, it makes it difficult to follow. This needs to be rebuilt using a tool that is currently available.

By Dannica

Sep 23, 2019

I've learned so much about the fundamentals of social media in this course despite that, I think it needs to be updated to keep up with the current social media trend/channels.

By Anoop G

Oct 11, 2015

I would like more content from this module. It was very slow to take off, especially week one. It was easy and enjoyable though. I would have liked it to be more challenging.

Dec 12, 2015

This is a nice introduction to social media marketing with professional insight from Randy Hlavac. I felt the content was a little too basic though.

By Kelsey P

Aug 18, 2017

Love the broader insight into social media and new tools. Would really like to hear some mention of Instagram trickled through these discussions.

By Angela B

Mar 05, 2018

Lots of content repetition and many referals to other Moocs. It's obvious an introduction course. Expectations of other moocs are high now ;-)

By Sheila

Dec 11, 2017

This course wasn't really helpful. It didn't need to be a full course as most people understand what social is.

By Pradyot A

Oct 14, 2015

An okay introduction to the specialization; hopefully, the future courses will get into more detail.

By Rebeqa H

Jun 19, 2017

Useful information if a tad outdated. I already had learned much of this from YouTube videos.

By Leah G

Oct 18, 2015

the professor was a little bit dry and repetitive but otherwise the content was interesting!

By Jean G

Mar 20, 2018

Very basic intro. Could have more content and not just broad overview of upcoming courses.

By Karolina B

Sep 26, 2016

Very basic dive into social, feels like it was structured for an older audience.

By Gary J E S

Aug 27, 2018

The weekly classes were very short. But the teachers are very knowledgeable.

By Marshall S

Nov 11, 2016

This course in informative, but not very, and it is rather boring.

By Jasmin Y

Apr 09, 2019

Some content is outdated. Needs to be updated.

By Arthur S F

Aug 20, 2018

not updated

By Guido P

Mar 11, 2016

The informations were useful, but the videos were repetitive. This whole course had the amount of informations as one week of many others. If it was free I would have no complaints, but since it is part of a specialization, I expect more. Removing all the fat each week would have 10 minutes worth of material.

Also I did not appreciate the length at which the speakers promoted their books.

By Yagnik H

Jan 03, 2020

I submit my assignment before 2-3 weeks ago and still, my grade don't update and when I see into discussion form every second day someone post for review their assignment everyone has done peer review but their own assignment 3 don't evaluate my full vacation passed but I don't receive my certificate.

By Alin C F

Jul 08, 2016

Not recommended for medium or advanced users. As the name says this is just an introduction in Social Media, so if you are already using it you don't have much to learn from this one. I look forward to the other courses from this Specialisation for more in depth content.