Back to Wood Science: Beyond Building

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Wood Science: Beyond Building by West Virginia University

The central question of this course: “why study wood?” If “why study wood” is the question, one answer would be that it is the only raw material available to us that is truly renewable in human life span terms. Wood is as important to society today as it ever was, despite the development of many man-made substitute materials, changing resource availability, and the changing needs of society. Some items on the list of wood products stay the same (lumber, plywood and veneer for building construction, furniture, shipping pallets & crates and other containers & packaging materials, railroad ties, utility poles, chemical feed stocks, etc), but the list also keeps changing to meet new needs and challenges as the resource changes. In short, wood is a far more diverse, green, and renewable resource than you might have imagined. Join us to learn about the important role of wood in human history, civilization, and our future. By the end of the course, learners will be able to: - describe wood as a raw material and its critical importance to the world economy, and the lives of the people that make that economy work. - identify the projected trend for wood consumption to continue to grow in the coming years, despite the image of wood as a "low tech" material. - identify the ways in which wood's properties can lead to its efficient and sustainable use. -identify wood's positive role in boosting the world economy and ability to lead to unexpected vocations....

DB

Jun 05, 2020

I am glad that I took this informative course. This course is useful to each and every people irrespective of their academic background and interests. It is good course regarding wood and its uses.

CZ

Feb 12, 2020

As a Civil Engineering student, this course has been very helpful for me. I do recommend to have this course in order to get the basic concept of wood science and its use as a building material.

101 - 125 of 133 Reviews for Wood Science: Beyond Building

By Toni K

Jul 21, 2017

Great advanced course in wood science! Fits best for the person with at least basic knowledge of timber and use of it. If you are a newbie with timber, no problem; you'll get the point and maybe some great ideas.

By Sagiraju L p

Jul 26, 2020

The course was really informative to me. As a civil engineering student I could know the importance of the most important building material I. E wood and it's types and uses and it's climatic conditions etc.

By Helen

Feb 03, 2020

I like course very much. Nice to see and hear proffesionals. I want more information about Forest/Wood plantation managment in the future. A big intrigue was put in the course. Recomended.

By Andrew H

Feb 15, 2018

Several of the links were dead, but other than that, great information in a very easy to follow manner. I especially enjoyed the questions during the video. Those helped tremendously.

By Md M N K

Aug 25, 2020

The audio quality of voice during the presentation videos were not very clear. Sometimes not clearly audible as well. But the content was good anyways. Got to know many things.

By Dana C

Jan 26, 2018

Very informative. Production value lower than what I've previously seen in other courses but it seems to work for this course, and give it an underlying charm.

By Ebru T

Oct 05, 2020

sound and video quality was not always good, the subjects were repeated many times however it is a enjoyable course anyway

By Christina M

A lot of excellent information. I especially enjoyed the guitar makers videos and the experiment with veneer and water.

By Pranil b N

May 23, 2020

I gotta chance to get info about wood and it's various uses in different fields as well as knowledge of wood materials.

By Rodrigo M A

Jun 21, 2017

It is interesting, but I would like to go deeper into the wood industry, new products, new techniques of sylviculture.

By Sebastián B

Feb 02, 2018

A very good introduction to several topics related to forestry, wood science and wood industry.

By Maria H J B

Jun 15, 2020

such interesting details about so many different aspects of wood. I like to continue!

By MAHITHA P

Jun 15, 2020

This is a very interesting and useful course... Thankyou for teaching with patience

By Muhammad F

Sep 21, 2020

Overall course was excellent, except the bad voice quality in some videos.

By Joy S

Apr 03, 2017

As a woman, I learned a surprising amount of stuff I never knew before

By Jaime A C S

Aug 14, 2020

Good content, lots of topics, but the video can be more engaging

By YASHVIITHA Y

Jun 15, 2020

This is a short course but very helpfull

By Chiemelie N

Jul 14, 2020

Interesting and helpful course

By Mahesh k A M

May 23, 2020

Good course and good material

By Joe S

Jul 18, 2020

Goof

By Arnab N U

May 23, 2020

It was fairly good. But, the course needs to be more improved and more enjoyable one. Since I was interested about the course topic, it seems a pretty one good course for me.