Back to Writing and Editing: Word Choice and Word Order

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Writing and Editing: Word Choice and Word Order by University of Michigan

This course will teach you how to use your written words to become more persuasive. You’ll learn creative ways to use syntax, effective techniques for telling stories, and a clever method for arranging a complex series of information. You’ll also get a chance to both professionalize your use of punctuation and add a bit of style and sophistication to how you craft everything from sentences to slogans. In addition, you’ll get access to a wide range of books and other resources you can use even after you finish the course. These include (1) the readings and exercises provided to the students who have taken the in-person version of this course at the University of Michigan and the University of Chicago; (2) two digital libraries of excellent writing from a diverse collection of journalists, scientists, novelists, poets, historians, and entrepreneurs; and (3) a monthly “Good Sentences” email. Social media has only accelerated the ways in which we all must learn to use our writing to connect, compete, and create—sometimes all at once. So join us for this first course in a four-part series and experience the many benefits, both personal and professional, of becoming “good with words.”...

PD
Dec 7, 2021

It is an excellent course that offers deep insights into the importance of words, it's usage in professional writing, and the impact it makes. I've learnt a lot from the course. Thank you Coursera.

Jul 1, 2020

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant! Excellent teaching and excellent material. Everyone can improve their professionalism by taking Professor Barry's writing on course, it's not just for lawyers.

51 - 75 of 314 Reviews for Writing and Editing: Word Choice and Word Order

By Ariff A R

Dec 19, 2020

I learned a lot about how to become a better writer in a relatively short duration. Working professionals should consider joining this course as the knowledge of good writing acquired can really help you advance your careers. Terrific course contents and teaching by Professor Barry.

By Pragyan P P

Jun 17, 2021

This course is a must to galvanize the writing style and pattern. The excellent reading materials support contextual learning and execution throughout the course. The citations and exercises throughout the course help in enhancing the standards of professional and personal writing.

By Farah R

Sep 17, 2021

This course is truly helpful for those writers who want to write an engaging piece for their own or other's blogs...and there were tons of excellent resources that helped me to improve a lot! Huge THANKS to Professor Patrick Barry, and looking forward to learn more from you...

By Danica M

Jan 7, 2022

The lectures are engaging and funny. You really do learn a lot. The samples/related literature cover a wide range, and you'll notice that they're kept updated, too, which is awesome. It's great if you wanna brush up on your grammar or need some ideas to be more creative.

By Ha D

Sep 9, 2021

The course is very helpful for both my professional and personal life. I get to improve my productivity, enjoy more readings and writings, and make a meaningful impact on my society just with the power of writing and editing. Big thanks to Professor Barry and Coursera!

By Hanne M N

Mar 20, 2021

This course will take your writing to a whole new level. By far the most inspiring, compelling, and down-to -earth scholar I’ve ever come across _ Patrick Barry is an academic on a mission to trim the flab of the overly cluttered legalese writing.

Hanne Nordlander

By Arianne M

Jan 19, 2021

Professor Barry has a great teaching style that will keep you engaged. I truly appreciated the vast variety of examples because connecting what you learn to the real world always seems to make it stick more. So glad I challenged myself to try something new!

By Shoaib M

Aug 26, 2021

I think it was an unprecedented opportunity for me to go through the Writing and Editing: Word Choice and Word Order.

It has potential to add some values in my profession and upcoming opportunities.

Thanks Proffessor Patrick Barry & Coursera.

By Fatima S R

Jan 12, 2021

Professor Barry is an amazing mentor. He created a world where the students can vicariously experience an engaging atmosphere to learn. The editing tips and strategies are so worth the time spent listening to his lecture.

By Sandrine W

Nov 29, 2020

Tips, techniques and grammar asides, the most important thing I've learned is: writing well is a force of persuasion. And I enjoyed sampling a wide range of good writings, works that I wouldn't have encountered otherwise.

By Akzira

Nov 27, 2020

Thanks for this amazing course to everyone who made it. I enjoyed going through materials, book recommendations and doing really interesting assignments. Also, big thanks for letting us repeat the assignment over again:)

By Connie D

Feb 21, 2021

Professor Barry, I appreciate your teaching style, and your desire to share your excellence and experience of how to be a better writer. I will be ordering Good with Words, so I can digest your guidance again and again.

By Allison W

Sep 23, 2021

This is a well-planned, comprehensive writing course. Very good recent examples from literature, speeches, and other notable sources.

Make sure to participate in the forum discussions to get the most out of the course.

By Janhavi M

Nov 23, 2020

A wonderful course that helps you become conscious of the way you write! Thank you to the course instructor for his interesting classes/videos. I recommend this course to all who indulge in professional writing.

By Mehnaz M

Mar 30, 2021

I didn't expect the course to turn out to be so useful, informative, well organized and easy to understand. I was very motivated to learn and enjoyed every bit of it, Highly recommend it to aspiring writers!

By So F

Jan 10, 2021

It was a really good course. The concepts were given in a way that I could easily understand. I found various interesting topics and many books that I would love to read. Totally worths the time spent on it.

By Abir M

Oct 19, 2021

The material that is provided in this course is of high quality. I recommend taking the time for this course, it doesn't only teach your writing and editing, but something deeper that is related to it.

By Panchatapa D

Dec 8, 2021

By Ma. A G T

Nov 17, 2021

Professor Barry is skilled and compassionate in teaching the writing course. He's very clear with how he discuss concepts and make learning easier. And he's got a good taste in good sentences.

By Jason L

Dec 30, 2020

Great course overall! I loved that I learned a lot about writing strategy and not just mechanics. I wasn't expecting that, and I think it was the most valuable piece of the course.

By Bernice A

Jan 16, 2021

It is amazing the things I have learned here. Professeur Barry is a good teacher. He helps me to understand all the topics very well. The materials he brings are worth reading.

By Tolulope A

Jul 25, 2020

I definitely mentioned Professor Barry in my blog https://tolulopeinspire.com/2020/07/12/no/, thank you for helping me realize that it's a whole new and big world in writing.

By Gabriela A

Oct 29, 2020

One of the best courses! Mr. Patrick, great professor! thanks for all the tips and so useful knowledge I have with me now. Writing is a superpower and you a super professor

By Ifeoluwa W M

Sep 23, 2021

Thanks a lot Professor Patric Barry this was one of the most exciting course i have done i really benefited without a doubt from the books and references you gave in class

By Kayla F

Nov 16, 2021

T​his course really helped me learn to be intentional in my writing. I can't wait to go write something and apply all my new skills, tricks, and techniques to my work.