Back to Writing and Editing: Word Choice and Word Order

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Writing and Editing: Word Choice and Word Order by University of Michigan

This course will teach you how to use your written words to become more persuasive. You’ll learn creative ways to use syntax, effective techniques for telling stories, and a clever method for arranging a complex series of information. You’ll also get a chance to both professionalize your use of punctuation and add a bit of style and sophistication to how you craft everything from sentences to slogans. In addition, you’ll get access to a wide range of books and other resources you can use even after you finish the course. These include (1) the readings and exercises provided to the students who have taken the in-person version of this course at the University of Michigan and the University of Chicago; (2) two digital libraries of excellent writing from a diverse collection of journalists, scientists, novelists, poets, historians, and entrepreneurs; and (3) a monthly “Good Sentences” email. Social media has only accelerated the ways in which we all must learn to use our writing to connect, compete, and create—sometimes all at once. So join us for this first course in a four-part series and experience the many benefits, both personal and professional, of becoming “good with words.”...

PD
Dec 7, 2021

It is an excellent course that offers deep insights into the importance of words, it's usage in professional writing, and the impact it makes. I've learnt a lot from the course. Thank you Coursera.

Jul 1, 2020

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant! Excellent teaching and excellent material. Everyone can improve their professionalism by taking Professor Barry's writing on course, it's not just for lawyers.

76 - 100 of 313 Reviews for Writing and Editing: Word Choice and Word Order

By Chrysanthi, P

Oct 28, 2021

This course is incredible. The professor Patrick Barry will enrich your love for writing and teach you things you didn't know about. I loved it. It fueled my passion.

By Rebecca D

Sep 17, 2020

Patrick Barry is a really engaging instructor. This is a well-planned course with immediately applicable advice. Would highly recommend to people in all professions.

By Justyna B

Sep 14, 2020

I am just going to say this - I have update both my LinkedIn AND Tinder profile bio based on this course. This is how life relevant it is. Must-have under your belt!

By Daniel L

Dec 11, 2021

Mr Barry is a captivating educator. Have enjoyed his content, though also enjoyed seeing him stand in front of his classes and inspire them. All the best to you.

By CAROLINA A V

Aug 23, 2020

It is extremely useful. Now I feel I identify better when my writing is good or bad. It is helpful from writing scientific papers to writing quick text messages

By Tam A

Dec 19, 2020

It's an amazing course [but time consuming] for both beginner writers like me and writers who might want to check on why they are not yet unique in their work

By Grace G

Oct 24, 2020

The course was concise and easy to learn. The different samples gives a better view of the correct word choices and order. It is not a typical grammar class.

By Trần T V

Nov 22, 2020

I'm pleased with the skills and knowledge in this course. I can learn some tip for writing my resume, my essay, my mail and apply it to be more professional

By Dina H

Sep 4, 2021

One of the best courses I have ever experienced. I would not mind taking another course, with this professor. Thank you, Mr. Barry for an awesome course.

By Aida G

Oct 13, 2020

This course was really insightful to me. I've got a lot of useful takeaways that I'll apply daily. Thanks to Professor Barry for his time and dedication.

By matias f d

Sep 4, 2021

me encanto la dinamica de enseñanza y la facilidad de poder desarrollarla a tu tiempo logrando completar los trabajos en el tiempo que mas me acomodaba.

By Romeo T

I recommend this course to anyone struggling with grammar and writing blocks—excellent delivery by Professor Barry and a well put together curriculum.

By Evan R

Jun 15, 2020

This course provides you with practical, memorable truisms that strengthen your ability to effectively communicate to an audience or decision-maker.

By sanchit g

Jul 30, 2020

it was good. The professor way of explanation and material is good. Waiting for the other parts of the specialisation to give a final review.

By Jorge G

Jul 10, 2020

Succinct but comprehensive. The teaching methods and course structure made going through the content an enjoyable and rewarding endeavor.

By Awilda M

Jul 10, 2021

Very informative. I believe that everyone, no matter their background or field of study, can benefit from this course. Thank you so much.

By Tatiana S

Apr 9, 2021

Great course! as a philologist, I'm already familiar with most of the concepts, but I still found great food for thought in this course.

By Maria C

Oct 13, 2020

Excelent structure of the course, nice readings, videos, quices. It has been very useful for me. I have applied it since the first week.

By Shreya N U

Aug 16, 2020

It's absolutely perfect! This course is probably one of the few MOOCs I've come across that are so beautifully crafted for its audience!

By Gabriel P

Jan 22, 2021

Professor Barry packs a lot of great writing concepts into this course. He is entertaining as well as insightful about good writing.

By RJ

Oct 29, 2020

I learned a whole lot about legal writing. Prof. Barry taught a lot of tools and techniques that I will surely use as a legal writer.

By joyce n

Feb 12, 2021

This was an exceptional course—content, structure, and delivery were all fantastic. I look forward to the next course in the series.

By Linh D

Jul 13, 2021

An amazing one for non-native speakers like me. Really interesting. An amazing lecturer with his good teaching methods and books.

By Achuyat S J

Jul 20, 2020

This course was nicely designed and I would like to thank the instructor for making it interesting, participating and motivating.

By Dr. S M

The course has been awesome; so well designed and conducted with good number of examples, references, and supplementary readings.