Back to The Science of Training Young Athletes

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Science of Training Young Athletes by University of Florida

Seventy percent of kids drop out of sports before their high school graduation. Only 15% leave because they feel they are not good enough. Almost 70% leave because they were not having fun, or due to problems with the coach. Injuries cause 30% to give up sports. This course is packed full of practical sports science information that provide youth coaches and parents with the practical pediatric sports science insights to successfully retain young athletes and develop their sport potential while avoiding injury and overtraining. We begin by examining the multidimensional nature of coaching, the relevant sport motor performance abilities, the impact of growth and development on motor skills, the gene versus practice controversy, and briefly overview the body structures strengthened through training. Then we explore the athlete's energy supply, where this energy comes from, and how it matures along with the athlete. Finally, we examine the development of strength, power, anaerobic capacity, coordination and flexibility through the life span. The optional text manual for this course is available at: http://www.learnitez.com/HighPerformanceScience/manuals/...

BD

May 28, 2017

Great base to build on. Filled in my gaps with regards to physical/physiological development of young athletes. For me it is a great addition to the English FA Level 1 and 2 football coaching course.

PP

May 01, 2020

The course was explained comprehensively.. thank you so much for making this course, I have learned a lot. I can surely use this knowledge in my class as Physical Education teacher

151 - 164 of 164 Reviews for The Science of Training Young Athletes

By Emil H N

Jun 05, 2020

Great course for coaches which feel a little lost with young athletes. Topics about what affects young athletes bodies and life in general are introduced. The laungauge is quite because of the use technical terms. If you're well-known with growth, maturation, puberty, muscular terms etc then there'll not be a lot of new stuff learned for you.

By Ignacio R H

Aug 04, 2020

Muy bien explicado, conceptos claros para el el entrenamiento con jóvenes.Quizás tiene mucha parte de fisiología general, que debería darse por conocida por aquellos que hacen el curso.

By KHALID A A

Sep 20, 2020

One of the best courses I attended, which helped me to gain new scientific information on coaching young athletes. Regards to the instructor and her guests.

Khalid

By Jeanne J

Dec 18, 2017

This was a very interesting, informative class. I learned a lot about how to coach and train young athletes from an early age through puberty.

By Dylan C

Apr 06, 2020

Great information provided in this course around training youth. It left me wanting some coaching strategies to implement with my athletes.

By Abdelrahman M I E S

Sep 15, 2020

It was a great course, i gained many information that should help me with my job. Moreover, it boosted my own career

By Mattia B

Jul 09, 2019

Very well done course.. a must do for all the serious coaches

By Randall W A

Jun 14, 2020

Very detailed. I leaned a lote. A BIG Thank you.

By FB

Nov 06, 2016

Great course for all coaches of youth sports

By Satyendra N R

Nov 05, 2019

It is really improving my knowledge..

By Mangesh D

Jun 14, 2020

Very well constructed and explained.

By Jhonatan J A E

Jan 23, 2017

The course addresses quite precisely and pragmatically every aspect regarding young athletes anatomical and physiological development. All the information provided in the lectures is research-based and Dr. Brooks states clearly when she is providing information which needs further investigation or clarification. The lenght of the lectures is short and these are very well organized by modules, facilitating the learning process. The information is almost always related to its application to young populations. While the topics covered by the course represent a fair amount of the information a coach should have, psychologycal and social aspects, which are quite important for training young athletes, are not convered in depth. The assessments lack effective feed-back to support the learning process, given that after taking the quizzes you will only know if your answer was right or wrong, missing any instruction about the course content itself, and the only peer-assessed piece misses a feed-back section which may help to improve future writing.

By Adaora A

Sep 17, 2020

I did enjoy the course. But I can't find or get the Certificate. I have tried several times to contact Cousera to no avail. Is it not a certifiable course? How do I get it even if it means paying for it?