Back to Data Structures and Performance

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Data Structures and Performance by University of California San Diego

How do Java programs deal with vast quantities of data? Many of the data structures and algorithms that work with introductory toy examples break when applications process real, large data sets. Efficiency is critical, but how do we achieve it, and how do we even measure it? This is an intermediate Java course. We recommend this course to learners who have previous experience in software development or a background in computer science, and in particular, we recommend that you have taken the first course in this specialization (which also requires some previous experience with Java). In this course, you will use and analyze data structures that are used in industry-level applications, such as linked lists, trees, and hashtables. You will explain how these data structures make programs more efficient and flexible. You will apply asymptotic Big-O analysis to describe the performance of algorithms and evaluate which strategy to use for efficient data retrieval, addition of new data, deletion of elements, and/or memory usage. The program you will build throughout this course allows its user to manage, manipulate and reason about large sets of textual data. This is an intermediate Java course, and we will build on your prior knowledge. This course is designed around the same video series as in our first course in this specialization, including explanations of core content, learner videos, student and engineer testimonials, and support videos -- to better allow you to choose your own path through the course!...

DB

Oct 13, 2017

Great into to Java, instructors have clearly put thought in to the format with the choose your own learning style videos, and additional coverage where it may be needed. These have been very helpful.

Dec 19, 2015

The course curriculum is well designed and teaches students the basic data structures needed to be a successful software engineer. The project is good, and the weekly assignments are challenging.

126 - 150 of 330 Reviews for Data Structures and Performance

By shailbhatt

Dec 05, 2017

Great course. I am learning so many things. This course has improved my structured thinking to start with a real world problems in many ways. I have adopted test-driven-development cycle for all my work which has improved my code quality significantly. All those real word challenges videos are a nice inspiration. My favorite videos are the "How I Struggled" because I am able to relate myself facing the similar kind of situation and got boosted to continue. Liked course structure. It works for me.

Mia, Christine and Leo are just awesome . Thanks for all your efforts. Really grateful to you and University of California, San Diego. Thanks.

By Eugene K

Feb 27, 2016

Well structured and explained, and, as always, provides very good programming assignments. Love this specialization!

By Jeffrey L

Jan 05, 2016

Excellent course!

By Xavier O

Dec 24, 2015

Additional Programming concepts, and solidifies programming skills in Java.

By Saleem U B

Dec 26, 2015

Great one

By Erick L

May 02, 2016

One of the best courses I have found!.

By Sameer N

Apr 11, 2017

Well organized course. I loved the content and the real world assignments in the course. Thank you to all the 3 trainers.

By Alicia B

Nov 09, 2017

Very good course, I really enjoyed it.

By Betty

May 13, 2017

This course is professional in many aspects. For me it was also inspiring.

By Aleksei K

Jun 04, 2017

A lot of very useful information. A perfect course for people familiar with the basics of java, and certainly a good continuation of the first course in the specialisation.

By Yvette W

Feb 07, 2016

This course by Alvarado, Minnes and Porter was clear, interesting and well presented. In fact, it's one of the better MOOC courses that I've taken.

The assignments were of medium difficulty: not too easy but certainly not so difficult that you will get frustrated and give up. In addition, they are interesting assignments. As mentioned, the lectures are concise, clear and interesting. In fact, I recently signed up for another course on algorithms and dropped it because it was SO BORING. Also, I am taking a course on machine learning that presents algorithms. In contrast, that course is not clear whatsoever; if I hadn't taken this one then I would be very confused. Finally, I like how they have the Concept Challenges where students discuss a problem. The thought processes of multiple people talking through the problem was helpful for me.

As a result, I highly recommend this course to anyone who wants to brush up on performance calculations (i.e., Big O), basic data structures, and a few basic algorithms.

By Sheldon D

May 16, 2017

great!

By ahsan r

Mar 25, 2016

Excellent course... This course really a great pleasure to watch and do work.

By 程锦

Mar 27, 2016

It's great that this specialization now get autoGrading for projects. It could be better if the Content Quiz is more challenging.

By Ognjen T

Jan 04, 2016

The best course in JAVA programming and much much more!

By Henry Y

Dec 20, 2015

The instructors were engaging and most charming in the videos.

Most suitable for programming learners taking the step from beginner to intermediate level. The material was divided into fun bite-sized videos, quizzes, and assignments; but still thorough with the details that were necessary.

By Chetan M

Dec 21, 2016

One of the best courses I have taken in coursera

By Rajesh C

Jan 17, 2016

This course covers some of the industry standard applications and they can be implemented. This really challenges the programmer to sit down and work some of the very good algorithms. And it shows the real usage of the Java data structures.

Professors Christine, Mia and Leo's teachings were very professional and helpful.

A word about the projects. After a student finishes the projects, they can confidently say they did something good with the data structures in Java.

Thank you for the course instructors and everyone who worked behind this.

Highly recommended for the serious Java programmers.

By Denis G

Dec 22, 2015

By Dzejlan

Dec 23, 2015

This is one of the best series of courses I came along in online MOOC platform, such a brilliant course, this whole specialization is brilliant, such a interesting projects, I'm disappointed that I live in country that isn't that much wealthy to help this Specialization and to be able to do Capstone Project , but I wish all the best hope to finish all in time, this is in my top 3 online MOOC Courses and I saw a lot of them.

I wish all the best to this team and people that made this possible.

By Kamlakar P

Nov 13, 2015

Excellent course!

By Hugo I R S

Jan 27, 2016

Este modulo está muy cargado de información, sin embargo los vídeos están muy bien hechos.

By pengwei

Jan 03, 2016

Great course.

By Joseph G

Feb 07, 2016

Was a good course for data structures and a good overview of Big O notation

By Windesson

Dec 22, 2016

I usually do not review courses, but this is far better than my expensive college java classes. I can not express enough my gratitude for the great quality putted into this program by the instructors. Thank so much for presenting the course in easy, challenge but fun way. you guys are the best :)