Back to An Intuitive Introduction to Probability

Learner Reviews & Feedback for An Intuitive Introduction to Probability by University of Zurich

This course will provide you with a basic, intuitive and practical introduction into Probability Theory. You will be able to learn how to apply Probability Theory in different scenarios and you will earn a "toolbox" of methods to deal with uncertainty in your daily life. The course is split in 5 modules. In each module you will first have an easy introduction into the topic, which will serve as a basis to further develop your knowledge about the topic and acquire the "tools" to deal with uncertainty. Additionally, you will have the opportunity to complete 5 exercise sessions to reflect about the content learned in each module and start applying your earned knowledge right away. The topics covered are: "Probability", "Conditional Probability", "Applications", "Random Variables", and "Normal Distribution". You will see how the modules are taught in a lively way, focusing on having an entertaining and useful learning experience! We are looking forward to see you online!...

NS

Sep 17, 2017

Superb course. I am very impressed with the way the faculty explained real world examples through the probability concepts. I wish we can have more courses from him on statistics and machine learning.

FR

I really enjoyed this course. The explanations are clear and, as suggested by the title, the lecturer uses intuition and daily-life examples rather than abstract and formal definitions and notations.

26 - 50 of 408 Reviews for An Intuitive Introduction to Probability

By MANIKANDAN R

Oct 30, 2018

I am Mathematics Professor in an Engineering College in India. Karl and Jose are excellent. Karl show me a new way of teaching, and it is fun to learn. Since its a basic course I know the concepts, but still it is interest to learn. This course give me some refreshment in probability concepts. The title of the course and the content is superbly matching. Hats off to Karl, Jose. Salutes to Coursera for give me an opportunity like this.

By Terry M

Feb 06, 2020

The professor was spectacular. I am a 69 year old retired lawyer/law professor who always loved math and the logic associated with math. The professor was skilled at teaching the building blocks slowly, clearly and with humor. I note that the printed 'titles' for the last one or two lectures contained several errors (it seems the transcriber may have been on 'automatic' and not thought about the content.)

Bravo. Great fun.

By MADHAV S

Honestly I was having a hard time this semester Because of some advanced statistic courses that I had and my basics weren't clear. But this course really helped me nail it. This was really intuitive fun and the examples were really Good. A huge thanks to the Instructor. I had so much fun in doing this course. I was afraid of math but this really got me excited I'm looking forward to more statistics .

By Заров Е А

Jan 31, 2019

That was the great course! I really enjoyed by it.

Thanks a lot for the teacher. All examples were clear, all concepts were understandable.

I was completely intended to continue each next lesson.

And the words in the title "Intuitive" and "Introduction" are absolutely proofed! It was quite introductory

- not so easy but not so hard. And I have got a good intuition inside a topic!

Thanks a lot!

By Hatsumi N

Oct 08, 2020

Fantastic perspective of some basics of probability. To design a course around "intuition" is brilliant, and students will move beyond manipulation of numbers and formulas to truly building a strong foundation of understanding the utility and meaning of probability in the real world. The passion of the instructors shine through and inspires the student to continue on in the subject.

By Karl S C

Jun 26, 2020

The most fun way to learn statistics. Cool professor. Examples were relevant and the materials are top-notch. He makes probability bearable for people who want to learn it but are somewhat "turned off" by the Maths. Side note, the teaching assistant looks like The Flash and Charles Leclerc.

Overall, a great course to take if you want to learn probability easily. I highly recommend it.

By Mubarak A

Apr 27, 2020

Excellent course. The instructor explained the conceptual ideas and combined them with cool applications.

Including Excell in the examples was a beneficial thing and a nice touch. Also, the quizzes were reasonable and essential to integrating the course.

I toked the course while taking a class about Probability in the University, and overall it is worthwhile to spend the time.

By Umeshraddi K

Apr 16, 2018

Before this course, I hated probability exactly like Karl mentioned in the beginning of the course. But now it's really fun and interesting to look things from probability perspective. Thanks Karl for the course. Thanks Jose for interesting problems and way to solve them.

I look forward to further courses from Karl, please inform me whenever you are conducting a new course.

By Floyd D

Jul 31, 2017

I've been trying for years to get to a point where probability doesn't scare me more than clowns. This class has done it for me. He's done an excellent job demystifying the subject and extracting the points one actually needs to understand from all the nice-to know's. Highly recommend the class to anyone in fields like statistics, Bayesian Networks, or data science.

By Marton G

Apr 08, 2020

Very well tought course, with clear explanations. I especially liked that the focus of the lectures is entirely on building intuition and understanding. The quizzes and exercises do not contribute much to the learning, but the lectures alone are well worth taking the course. Too bad there is currently no follow-up course available with more advanced topics.

By Mohummud D

Jan 25, 2017

I have been looking for a stats course to unlock further learning. This was it! I found the pace, content style worked for me to allow me to proceed on other courses. Yes, I 'hated' stats when younger and feared it. But I am more comfortable and eager to learn more now and put into practice the extensions I am now able to move on to. Thank you.

By Matthew A

Oct 16, 2017

A great overview of basic probability, with interesting applications and motivating examples.

Short quizzes after each video gives invaluable quick feedback on comprehension.

Prof Schmedders is an engaging and insightful instructor.

My only criticism is that it is just 5 weeks of material, it's all over too soon. A followup course would be wonderful.

By Vinayak J

Dec 29, 2017

A great way to revise the basic concepts of probability before you dive into advance topics. This course provides an intuition behind each of the important concepts that makes it easy to understand why certain things are done the way they are done. Perfect length for an introductory course. Assignments could have been a little more complex.

By Alperen Ç K

Sep 18, 2020

Very good course on Probability. As the title says it is an intuitive introduction. No formulas or plenty of problem solving. If you would like to understand the ideas before going deep into the Probability then this is the course. Clear explanation and a lot of real world examples. The professor is absolutetly amazing! Thank you!

By Giovanni V

Dec 03, 2017

It finally got me convinced of bayes' theorem rationality (I used it a lot before).

There are a lot other courses about probability and statistics that goes way deeper, but this one imho is definitely the best to start, since it explains thoroughly the basic concepts, letting the student overcome their initial counter-intuitivity.

By Anastasia T

Jun 29, 2017

The instructor is so great. Cheerful and to the point, he wants you to learn without much sweating. The information is simple, and through examples it becomes very well acquired. However, it helps much, if you have some background in working with probabilities. I really enjoy having him as a teacher, even from far away. Great job!

By Dmitriy K

Aug 28, 2017

Excellent course for students seeking for understanding of underlying concepts of probability. The course structure and problems are very helpful. Application based problems help to see concepts discussed in the course in action. Would like to see a higher-level course on probability from Professor Schmedder.

By Krishna C C

Feb 12, 2018

Very good introductory course with relevant real world examples to understand the concepts better without just showing some formulas. Really thankful to Prof. Schmedders and TA Jose for exercises. Note that some quiz questions in Wk-3 (3.2) are not opening in Chrome. Very good and quick intro course!

By Mateus F P

Oct 18, 2020

I thought that was a really good introductory course and with a lot of real-world examples that help us not just understand but visualize where these concepts are applied. Karl is a great teacher and a fun teacher. I have taken this class in my graduation but didn't learn as much as in this course.

By Alan L

May 13, 2020

This was a great, relaxed introduction to probability. I learned a lot about the basics, and am looking forward to taking more advanced courses in graduate school. The real world applications really helped in solidifying the concepts, showing just how important probability is in our everyday lives.

By M N

Jul 26, 2020

Excellent course for beginners to understand the basics of Probability and it's importance. The examples are well laid out and interesting. This course is also great as a refresher for people who have previously studied Probability and want to brush up before continuing with more advanced courses.

By Muzoon A

Dec 13, 2019

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to learn with a great Professor such as Prof. Karl. It was a knowledgeable, thoughtful and fun experience. I would and did recommend this course to my network. I really appreciate the effort you all have put to provide us with the best quality. Best wishes.

By John T

Jan 26, 2019

The course lived up to my expectations, providing good intuition for the fundamentals of probability. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a brief overview of the subject. The exercises were a bit too easy for my taste, but that didn't detract from the overall quality of the course.

By Jerry R

Jun 15, 2017

An excellent course! a very gentle introduction to Probability. Subjects are taught in simple and yet effective explanations with a good sense of humor. I really like the real-world examples and exercises; they greatly help me to understand the concepts and enhance my learning experience.