Back to Music Business Foundations

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Music Business Foundations by Berklee College of Music

This course has been developed to provide students with the latest instruction on the best way for creators, consumers, and facilitators to navigate the resurgence of one of the world’s most exciting industries: the music business. Three things are clear about today’s music industry: The consumption of music is expanding at the greatest rate in history and from the most portals ever imagined, the cost of producing music is decreasing, and the number of artists creating and seeking to expose their work and develop careers through the Internet has increased dramatically. Whether you’re a music creator, consumer, or facilitator of this process, you’ll want to understand the history, underpinnings, and basics of the music business. Course author John Kellogg—administrator, educator, entertainment lawyer, performer, and radio and television personality—offers students the opportunity to learn the fundamental principles of the developing new music business, for now and into the future. What you'll learn: -- The basic history of the music industry and today's business trends -- How recording agreements are formulated -- The basics of copyright law as it pertains to the music business -- The role of agents, managers, attorneys, and specific business entities...

BD

Oct 23, 2017

This course was very useful and important to me, I plan on venturing in the music world very soon and knowing/ equipping myself with all of these will come in pretty handy for me. Thank you immensely.

DK

Feb 22, 2016

I advise this great course to everybody who wants to learn more about music industry in general, music business principles and tricks, including all types of agreements and principal actors.

51 - 75 of 306 Reviews for Music Business Foundations

By Dana C

Apr 07, 2020

I was very impressed with the depth and the breadth of knowledge I was able to gain from this short course. The materials are to the point and the professor is passionate and knowledgeable about the industry.

By Dean H

Oct 29, 2015

I really had no knowledge of music producing or the history of music until I started this course. It has taught me much, and I'm sure the lessons I have learned will have great benefit now and in the future.

By SOULAIMANE I

Aug 25, 2019

The lecturer is absolutely great. He was easy to follow and I got so much information that makes me feel not so lost when it comes to the topic.

Mr. John.p.Kellogg i'm honoured to have taken your course

By Basetsana S D

Oct 23, 2017

By 雷沁颖

Dec 21, 2015

I really learned a lot from the lesson. Teacher Kellogg explained every link with instances and details, very easy to understand and not boring at all.

Thanks John, and thank you so much Coursera!

By Zhenya

Jan 02, 2016

It's been a very useful program for a beginner in the industry like me. It gives you a framework of how the system is synchronized in the US and how it might be applied in all other countries.

By Melanie G

Jun 14, 2017

Amazing course and great teaching. The way things were taught was very clear and concise. I loved taking this course and want to keep re-taking it as the information is so valuable.

By Troy K

Jun 28, 2017

Great course!! John does an amazing job at teaching the foundations with enthusiasm! I wish I could take the Music Business 101 class but was thankful for this to get me started.

By Walerson S C

Jan 25, 2016

A great course with valuable information for everyone that is connected to music. Unfortunatelly, this course doesn't offers statement of accomplishment or other free cetificate.

By Jeison A R P

Nov 25, 2015

Incredible, John and his knoledge and passion change my life for good!!! i feel realli inspire!!!! Thank you so much to everyone, for the course and everything!!! its amazing!!!!

By Tanya K

Feb 20, 2017

Great course to gather a holistic view of the industry, clearly explained, engaging, great tutor (awesome stories), perfect for those who want to gain insight into this field.

By S J

Apr 27, 2016

Phenomenal. Professor Kellogg really knows the industry with a deep understanding and shares his knowledge through fantastic story-telling and gripping presentation. Thank you

By Esteban G

Dec 10, 2015

Really geat course, it helped me a lot to understand how the bussines is going and what's happening NOW, really updated lessons, i appreciate that a lot. Thanks Mr. Kellogg!

By Ramona A

Nov 22, 2015

THANK YOU MR.KELLOGG!!!!!!! BEST TEACHER IN THE WORLD!

Seriously, you have made me fall in love and hunger after a subject I feared my whole life. Brilliant - God Bless You!

By Alan A

Sep 03, 2017

Very nice and interasting course!, Excelent instructor. I strongly recomend this course for pople who want to know the fundamentals of music bussines and musical industry.

By Paul P F

Feb 20, 2016

The course "Music Business Foundations" is great and valuable. Many thanks to John Kellog and his team for information, inspiration and attractive format of video lectures.

By Dianna B

Nov 29, 2015

Excellent Course, clarified a lot of misinformation I've had about the business area of music. Learned several things during the copyright week. All weeks were fantastic.

By Jonovan T C

Feb 14, 2020

Very informative course. I learned about and understand the basics of the industry from the roles of every member of the artist team to legalities in the music industry.

By Javier R

Jan 25, 2020

This is definitely a great course and totally recommended for anyone who wants to get into anyhing related with music business, the history, the basics and more

By Alberto M D

Apr 03, 2020

I already finished this course and I think it's awesome! I really learn about music business and have more interest of continue my formation in Music Business.

By Eduardo M

Nov 29, 2015

A "Must Know" for musicians, song writers, producers, anyone who is starting out in the music business. This is extremely informative and very crucial to know.

By Виктория Н Ч

Mar 30, 2018

It is a really great course: full and useful! It tells about all aspects and rules which are related to music industry in the USA (and partly other countries)

By Andrejs V

Sep 20, 2018

Very relevant and kind of comprehensive course I've taken on Coursera. Big thanks to course creators and it was my pleasure to step into Music Business.

By JERIC I

Apr 01, 2016

Short video but the content is comprehensive and easy to understand. Highly recommended for those who want to understand the ways of the Music Industry.

By Dan C

Jul 23, 2018

This course, combined with Professor Kellogg's book, are invaluable resources in understand the fundamentals of the music business. Highly recommended!