Back to Music Business Foundations

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Music Business Foundations by Berklee College of Music

This course has been developed to provide students with the latest instruction on the best way for creators, consumers, and facilitators to navigate the resurgence of one of the world’s most exciting industries: the music business. Three things are clear about today’s music industry: The consumption of music is expanding at the greatest rate in history and from the most portals ever imagined, the cost of producing music is decreasing, and the number of artists creating and seeking to expose their work and develop careers through the Internet has increased dramatically. Whether you’re a music creator, consumer, or facilitator of this process, you’ll want to understand the history, underpinnings, and basics of the music business. Course author John Kellogg—administrator, educator, entertainment lawyer, performer, and radio and television personality—offers students the opportunity to learn the fundamental principles of the developing new music business, for now and into the future. What you'll learn: -- The basic history of the music industry and today's business trends -- How recording agreements are formulated -- The basics of copyright law as it pertains to the music business -- The role of agents, managers, attorneys, and specific business entities...

BD

Oct 23, 2017

This course was very useful and important to me, I plan on venturing in the music world very soon and knowing/ equipping myself with all of these will come in pretty handy for me. Thank you immensely.

DK

Feb 22, 2016

I advise this great course to everybody who wants to learn more about music industry in general, music business principles and tricks, including all types of agreements and principal actors.

51 - 75 of 281 Reviews for Music Business Foundations

By Barbara F

Mar 18, 2016

I loved this course! I learned so much about the music business, more than I learned as being a part of it as an artist roughly about the same time that Mr. Kellogg was working as an artist. Things have changed a lot and this course made me think about how it might change even more in the future and if there might be a place for an "older doll" like me. John Kellogg is a great teacher. He sited real experiences, and that's what made things stick for me. Thank you Coursera for a great course!

By Sujith H T

Dec 11, 2015

Awesome

By Siren X S

Feb 01, 2016

John P. Kellogg is fabulous. He makes this course fun and has a great presence in front of the camera.

By Lluis G T

Sep 28, 2016

I really learn alot about this important subject in music. And the instructor was awsome, he add alot of examples from his own career and form others to really understand the issues, with some touch of dun, I mean laws can be boring but I not feel bored in any moment. Thanks so mutch!

By Bjørn V

Jan 26, 2016

Great stuff!

By Santi R

Nov 04, 2015

Excellent course, very useful for all musicians!! Great teacher John P. Kellog

By Idan L

Jun 09, 2017

An excellent course - short, to the point, inspiring and informative. Thanks Berklee!

By Irfan K

Jun 13, 2016

This course provide great insights of the music industry. Recommended for everyone who look forward to dive into the industry.

By Wil K

Jul 31, 2017

An amazing course with an amazing instructor. The instructor's real world examples and practical, hands-on experience is a wealth of info. It helps that he has also been an artist before he was a lawyer so he has intimate knowledge of the artists's perspective. I have been in the music business for many, many years and studied the business side of contracts and practices in preparation for that long ago. The business has changed a great deal since that time with the advent of the internet, folding of Major Labels, decline of the CD market, streaming services, digital downloads and the emerging changes to recording contracts (360 deals) and distribution arrangements. This course is at once a great history lesson on traditional music business practices and a updated survey of current trends in the industry and how they affect the artist. I highly recommend this course!!

By Natalia F

Jun 07, 2016

Great course if you need to know the basics of music business! You'll probably need to take a deeper course if you want to take an actual business position (like a personal manager). But if you're an artist and you just need to understand how this whole thing works and whose help you might need to build a successful career in show business - I'd say this is about all you neew to know.

By Esteban G

Dec 10, 2015

Really geat course, it helped me a lot to understand how the bussines is going and what's happening NOW, really updated lessons, i appreciate that a lot. Thanks Mr. Kellogg!

By Miralda S

Mar 03, 2016

Just Excellent !

By Amy M A

Dec 17, 2015

Very well done, I enjoy the lecture videos.

By sarah o

Nov 08, 2017

AMAZING

By Maria G P

Sep 13, 2016

I really liked the way it the teacher explain every topic.

By Clarke P v d W

Jan 23, 2016

This course provides a really strong basis of understanding the complexities of the music business. It helps you with good and professional practical advice on how to structure your career from both the perspective of the artist and productions companies, all whilst maintaining policy of fairness in the industry.

By Serah J

Oct 28, 2016

I enjoyed the course however, I do have some feedback - watching so many videos just to get the underlying information was not only a lengthy but also boring. It would be great it we could have received some material to read and a few less videos. A few more examples at each stage also would help to emphasise certain points more clearly.

By Joseph k

Apr 18, 2017

Thankyou

By Adeyemi S A

Apr 12, 2018

Informative; Great course.!

By Joshua M

Oct 30, 2015

Dr. John Kellogg - You're simply the best! Had a great learning experience! God Bless! Thank you Berklee and Coursera for the opportunity!

By Benjamin N

Oct 29, 2015

Great course for those interested in the inner workings of the music business. I highly recommend this course to all serious musicians.

By Laura C G

Nov 01, 2015

I loved it! Thanks so much for sharing all the information with us

By JERIC I

Apr 01, 2016

Short video but the content is comprehensive and easy to understand. Highly recommended for those who want to understand the ways of the Music Industry.

By Lesley E M

Dec 25, 2016

This was a great course taught by a bright and engaging professor. I enjoyed his stories about the business and learned much from this course.

By MAYKON D S E S

Dec 13, 2015

I'm very happy with the content from this course. It is exactly what I was looking for in terms of information about music business. Really interesting and the professor speaks in a very calm and nice way to make our life better to understand the lesson and everything that is said, specially for me that I'm not an English native-speaker. Great job! Well done!